By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Where are the 1st party Wii casual games?

MontanaHatchet said:
fazz said:
I have a question for everyone: who coined the terms "casual" and "hardcore", or who made them so popular on this generation?

This is the most ignorant generation of gaming to date. Sure, in the past, we had "We do what Nintendont" and "Lol, teh Gaystationz!" but never have I seen such snooty, opinionated gamers.

Seriously, just so much as mention the name of a console and people will chime in with some of the most crazy and vulgar answers.

If you don't know, just say it. 

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
fazz said:
I have a question for everyone: who coined the terms "casual" and "hardcore", or who made them so popular on this generation?

Nintendo - i think the SNES era but might have been NES. Dont remember which.

Seriously? Good to know, tho I don't remember those days that much... specially the NES days. 

MontanaHatchet said:
fazz said:

This is the most ignorant generation of gaming to date. Sure, in the past, we had "We do what Nintendont" and "Lol, teh Gaystationz!" but never have I seen such snooty, opinionated gamers.

Seriously, just so much as mention the name of a console and people will chime in with some of the most crazy and vulgar answers.

Like you just did.

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

carlos710 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
fazz said:

Like you just did.

Not particularly. See, my response was to the topic's incredible ignorance. What I'm talking about is something like this...

Pete: "Hey John, look, I've saved up enough money for a PS3"-

JohnL "LOLZORZ PS3 IS GAUYZ GET TEH XBOX 360!!!!"

That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. And it disgusts me that a 14 year old who plays Gears of War 5 hours a day thinks he can tell me what to buy.

Sorry, just venting from personal experiences. Snobby East Coast kids. 

I know I added to this fire by starting the Nintendo and the Hardcore thread, but now I really wish everyone would stop saying what is hardcore and what is casual.

You can be a hardcore gamer because of how much you play(me), how long you played(me), how much you spent (me, oi vei!), being a fanboy, having discriminating tastes... and really are we any better for it?

Just play and enjoy. I really like the line-ups this year from all first-parties this year. (Next year I am a little worried)

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Around the Network
ItsaMii said:
Erik Aston said:
It is all Nintendo fault for making so much casual games. I really envy SCEA list of hardcore-only games for 2007.

PSP Jumping Flash! (not sure about this one)
PlayStation 2 Rogue Galaxy
PSP Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters
PlayStation 3 flOw

PlayStation 2 MLB 07: The Show
PlayStation 3 Formula One Championship Edition
PSP MLB 07: The Show
PlayStation 3 MotorStorm
PlayStation 2 God of War II
PlayStation 2 SingStar Pop
PlayStation 3 Super Rub a Dub
PlayStation 3 Calling All Cars!
PlayStation 3 MLB 07: The Show
PlayStation 3 Go! Puzzle
PlayStation 3 Super Stardust HD
PlayStation 2 Hot Shots Tennis
PSP PaRappa the Rapper
PlayStation 3 Piyotama

PSP Jeanne D'Arc
PlayStation 3 Warhawk
PlayStation 2 EyeToy: Play 3
PlayStation 3 Lair
PlayStation 3 Heavenly Sword
PlayStation 2 Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror
PSP Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow
PlayStation 2 SingStar Amped
PlayStation 2 SingStar 80's

PSP Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice
PlayStation 3 High Velocity Bowling

PSP SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Tactical Strike
PlayStation 2 Buzz! The Big Quiz
PSP NBA 08
PlayStation 2 NBA 08
PlayStation 3 NBA 08
PlayStation 3 Folklore
PlayStation 3 Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
PlayStation 3 The Eye of Judgment
PlayStation 3 SingStar
PlayStation 2 Buzz! Junior: Jungle Party
PlayStation 2 Buzz!: The Mega Quiz

PlayStation 3 Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
PlayStation 3 SOCOM: Confrontation
PlayStation 3 PlayStation Home
PSP God of War: Chains of Olympus
PSP WipeOut Pulse

Nice job including small downloadable games in  there. The downloadable games are supposed to normally be casual by default.

Also since when is Ratchet and Clank casual? Also, do you have any idea what Jumping Flash is even?

Even better, Eye of Judgment is casual???? Pursuit Force is casual? Parappa the Rapper is casual???

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

MontanaHatchet said:

Not particularly. See, my response was to the topic's incredible ignorance. What I'm talking about is something like this...

Pete: "Hey John, look, I've saved up enough money for a PS3"-

JohnL "LOLZORZ PS3 IS GAUYZ GET TEH XBOX 360!!!!"

That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. And it disgusts me that a 14 year old who plays Gears of War 5 hours a day thinks he can tell me what to buy.

Sorry, just venting from personal experiences. Snobby East Coast kids.

what does that has ANYTHING to do with this topic???

the Wii is an epidemic.

Wii Sports is totally hardcore!!!

pong ftw

I am going to give up on any forum thread not to do with sales soon, it's getting to be too much.

MontanaHatchet said:
Well, define casual gamer. Is a child a casual gamer, just because they don't buy Zelda?

Are you saying that games for kids are not casual games?

I read your post, just forgot Warioware. And are you saying that casual gamers haven't existed until now? If casual gamers are the "new audience", then why have accessible games sold so well in the past?

Or are casual gamers simply a large group of gamers who have never been recognized until now and are just belonging to an incredibly stupid buzzword used by corporate drones?

I think the real problem is defining "casual gamer". Honestly, is it possible that someone could purchase the occasional Madden, Mario Kart, or Mario Sports title and still be casual? Or would purchasing something other than Wii Play make them a hardcore gamer?

bears repeating... people are confusing "casual" audience with "new audience".  members of the casual audience, by and large, are those who don't spend a large amount of time on video games. members of the new audience, by and large, are intrigued by new genres of video games that puts more focus on social, educational and productive aspects.

because of the constant confusion of the term "casual", which has never been satisfactorily defined by ANYTHING, nobody ever agrees on what "casual" is.  no, i don't think games for kids are "casual" game, and i particularly object to the pokemon games being a "casual" game.

good names are central to understanding ideas.  unless one has in mind a consistent picture already, using the vague term "casual" will serve only to confuse.  i'm heavily advocating "new audience" as the replacement term.

NEW AUDIENCE.  unless somebody comes up with a better term.  

the Wii is an epidemic.

here's how the term "casual" is confusing: it means different things when used to describe an audience and when used to describe games.

casual gamers, are mostly associated with non-hardcore and non-core gamers (pretty much exactly the complement of those).  which, is understood as the group who played video games from the past 2 decades.

casual games, however, are associated with titles like:

- DDR, singstar, guitar hero (some disputes this), etc
- brain age, face training, my word coach, etc
- cooking mama, fishing master, etc
- wii sports, wii fit, brunswick bowling, etc.

there is some correlation with "casual audience" playing "casual games" (both terms as loosely defined above), but the correlation is not anywhere close to 1. maybe 0.3.

and that is essentially how this whole "casual" vs "hardcore" arguments arise, and how miyamoto himself talks about making galaxy appeal to the "casual crowd" or reggie highlighted "picross" as a casual game at the nintendo E3. in their minds they know to differentiate the terms, but obviously, they're not gonna be 100% clear on what is "casual" every time they talk about it.

the Wii is an epidemic.