By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has The Wii Peaked?

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Peaked, lol, yeah right, Nintendo is just getting warmed up, now we see that they can easily sell over a million a week

Yes, during the holiday season. I suppose the 360 will stay at 800k as well then throughout 2009?

Around the Network
Imthelegend said:
Great post NintendoMonopoly but Im not sure about 1 small part. I didn't think the Ds has had a price cut at all. But the rest is a terrific write up.

Well the original DS had a £10 price cut when the DSlite came in, but no, the DSlite is still the same price as what the DS launched at I think.

Mummelmann said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Peaked, lol, yeah right, Nintendo is just getting warmed up, now we see that they can easily sell over a million a week

Yes, during the holiday season. I suppose the 360 will stay at 800k as well then throughout 2009?

Wii is a different beast than the 360, the 360 will fall as demand slackens, but Wii is ruled by supply, if they release a million a week then they will sell them, they just can't, because they would run out fast

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

TWRoO said:
Imthelegend said:
Great post NintendoMonopoly but Im not sure about 1 small part. I didn't think the Ds has had a price cut at all. But the rest is a terrific write up.
Well the original DS had a £10 price cut when the DSlite came in, but no, the DSlite is still the same price as what the DS launched at I think.

Wikipedia sez:  The DS launched at $150 (in NA); then the price was cut to $129 when Advance Wars hit; then DS Lite launched at $129, which is the current price. 

I seem to recall that when the DS Lite came out the DS "Phat" had a $10 price cut to help it out the door, but that may have been a retailer thing.

In Europe, the DS launched at £100/€150, and so did the DS Lite, and so it remains.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Zucas said:
I personally think it has but peaked in a way that doesn't mean a steady downfall but something more like PS2. Just stay high forever haha.

However, I'm probably wrong with this and I know I'll probably be wrong but for some odd reason I stand by it. Guess it's because if I'm wrong no big deal but if I'm right it is. I have always thought 2008 would be Wii's peak year but it probably wont' be. Not how fast the market has expanded that it only opens up more room. We'll just see. There is no telling how it'll go down but Wii should have another great year as it'll not have to worry about brand alone to keep it hyped as big games release.

that was my theory.... but now we are seeing VERY positive statements from EA, Take2, SE, Capcom, Konoma, and other smaller studios.

When the good games come to the Wii in droves like they did the PS2, the Hardcore gamers will finally get on board in mass. At that point the wii will peak. Especially for Software.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network

Wii can still win this war and beat the successful PS3. Here's how:

1) Price drop.
2) X year lifecycle. Replace X with the amount of years Wii is on the market.
3) When ___ is released.

Once these three things happen, Wii will dominate.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

OK Folks It was my opinion on the Wii.
To me games are what make or break a console.
That is why I asked the question.

For what its worth I hope third party's start supporting the Wii.
But what if they don't?
Remember PS360 combined isn't really that far behind the Wii.
So I stand by my opinion that the Wii has peaked.
Hopefully I am wrong and everyone will gain.

Funnily enough, you're right about games making or breaking a console. What your equation fails to take into account, however, is what games make or break a console. It's not consistent at all. If you don't believe me, just compare the line-up that won the NES acclaim to the one that won the PS2 acclaim. Super Mario Bros, Legend of Zelda, Tetris, and Dr. Mario are about as far-removed from the likes of GTA:SA, Gran Turismo 3, Final Fantasy X, and Need for Speed as you could imagine. In fact, the NES winning team far more closely resembles the Wii's winning team than the PS2's...

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Sky Render said:
Funnily enough, you're right about games making or breaking a console. What your equation fails to take into account, however, is what games make or break a console. It's not consistent at all. If you don't believe me, just compare the line-up that won the NES acclaim to the one that won the PS2 acclaim. Super Mario Bros, Legend of Zelda, Tetris, and Dr. Mario are about as far-removed from the likes of GTA:SA, Gran Turismo 3, Final Fantasy X, and Need for Speed as you could imagine. In fact, the NES winning team far more closely resembles the Wii's winning team than the PS2's...

I wont argue with you but instead make the point that I feel I can get the Wii experience on live ie jigsaw  puzzle pac man etc.

On the other side it is highly unlikely mgs4 or gears 2 will be coming to Wii too soon.

If that sounds like a jibe at the Wii so well and good you can either implement a game on a console or not.

So please Wii surprise me and humiliate me ie prove me wrong.

Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, though mainstream views appear to lie elsewhere going by sales numbers. It's pretty apparent that there are more of "them" than "you", no matter how you slice it. The question is just how many of "them" will throw their lot in with the Wii, of course...

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.