By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - AMD Phenom @ 6.28GHz

Squilliam said:
ssj12 said:
Squilliam said:
So why exactly would someone use a next generation SSD and a 15kRPM HDD? That would be extremely noisey. Thats also about 2-3k worth of hardware, and within 6 months someone could build the same machine for half the price.

umm what?

An 64GB SSD is liike $80 plus a 2.5" tray is $35.... I think you need to check your priced, hard drives/SSD price should be under $300.....

Why would you want a super fast SSD and a 15kRPM drive? Don't they do precisely the same job? They also scale extremely well in Raid 0 so you'd be better off striping them than to get one of both, the way I see it.

Also Nvidia has released a new high end single chip card within aprox 6 months of releasing a dual GPU card and in pretty much all cases so far you've been better off with the single chip.

7950Gx2 -> 8800GTX -> 9800GX2 -> GTX280 -> GTX 295 -> GTX3xx?

the 9800GX2 outpaces the GTX 260..... the GTX 295 should outpace the high end GTX 3xx but not touch the GTX 4xx

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
Squilliam said:

Why would you want a super fast SSD and a 15kRPM drive? Don't they do precisely the same job? They also scale extremely well in Raid 0 so you'd be better off striping them than to get one of both, the way I see it.

Also Nvidia has released a new high end single chip card within aprox 6 months of releasing a dual GPU card and in pretty much all cases so far you've been better off with the single chip.

7950Gx2 -> 8800GTX -> 9800GX2 -> GTX280 -> GTX 295 -> GTX3xx?

the 9800GX2 outpaces the GTX 260..... the GTX 295 should outpace the high end GTX 3xx but not touch the GTX 4xx

Seeing as the 295 will have the clocks of a GTX280 but the bus and I/O of a GTX260, it should have the overall performance of GTX260 Core 216 SLI. It may even be matched by the GTX285 in some cases, as that will have a 10% higher clock than the GTX 280.

But 40nm Radeons will beat it. Nvidia's taken this long to get to 55nm, so 40nm will be much later. Anyway, the real high end battle is GT3xx vs. R800 or similar, in H2 2009.

now,if only they make a shrunk down version of athlon 64 to compete with the atom. Net books AMD, netbooks.. thats where the money is gonna be!

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

arsenicazure said:
now,if only they make a shrunk down version of athlon 64 to compete with the atom. Net books AMD, netbooks.. thats where the money is gonna be!

They have.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Atom-Athlon-Efficient,1997.html

An ordinary 1.0GHz single-core Athlon 64 (65nm) can fit in an 8W TDP. While this is more than an Atom, the Atom's chipset draws twice as much power as it does, so the more energy-efficient Athlon chipset (a 7xx derivative) makes the total platform consumption similar to an Atom.

And it destroys the Atom in terms of performance.

AMD say they aren't interested in netbooks though.

that is stupid of them.. netbooks are currently the fastest growing PC segment!

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

Around the Network
arsenicazure said:
that is stupid of them.. netbooks are currently the fastest growing PC segment!

Yes, but mostly at the expense of traditional laptops. Since Atom is cheaper than traditional laptops' CPUs, the increase in netbook sales is decreasing Intel's revenue. That's AMD's reason for not doing it. They will instead go after larger classes of laptops with higher profit margins.

Does that make sense though.. if AMD made an atom chip with an ATI integrated graphics.. aka bobcat/fusion?? they could make a decent amount of cash.. I read AMD dont have a micro ATX board atm.. I just sense AMD makes a lot of bad business decisions. Even when they have a better/competitive product. And with the economy in doldrums I doubt ppl wanna spend on high end products..

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

arsenicazure said:
Does that make sense though.. if AMD made an atom chip with an ATI integrated graphics.. aka bobcat/fusion?? they could make a decent amount of cash.. I read AMD dont have a micro ATX board atm.. I just sense AMD makes a lot of bad business decisions. Even when they have a better/competitive product. And with the economy in doldrums I doubt ppl wanna spend on high end products..

Well, AMD have said they don't want to do Fusion until 2011 because it was only viable at 32nm.

But to be honest, their roadmap (and internal organisation) is in disarray and they could turn round tomorow and completely change the plan. They've done that constantly since the Phenom launch, and it always involves delaying the new stuff and adding more hopeless rehashes of old stuff between now and then. AMD doesn't have a future - I believe they will go bankrupt quite soon.

price????????

lets hope not.. I had an athlonXP, and a A64 for my desktops and I was pretty satisfied. I think they need to focus on two markets and grow from there. ATI4xxx series is doing brilliantly, they need to work on their mobile chipsets more. I can already see Intel raising their prices sky high once AMD is destroyed. :(

a. a AAA 3D sonic title