By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - AMD Phenom @ 6.28GHz

ssj12 said:
Slimebeast said:
Go AMD!

My next CPU upgrade will most likely be to a Phenom II.

my next rig will be a Nehalem or Westmore

Huh? Traitor! You just wrote "btw, should i get a Phenom II or the Athlon 7750BE to upgrade my 4600+? Also should I spend the $80 for an AM2+ mopherboard with a DECENT FSB?" earlier in the thread.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
ssj12 said:
Slimebeast said:
Go AMD!

Huh? Traitor! You just wrote "btw, should i get a Phenom II or the Athlon 7750BE to upgrade my 4600+? Also should I spend the $80 for an AM2+ mopherboard with a DECENT FSB?" earlier in the thread.

there is a difference between upgrades and a whole new computer.

And I;m probably going to go with the Athlon since its cheaper... save for my next rig...

Core i7 965

SSD

15kRPM HDD

1.5 TB HDD

Nvidia GTX 950 times 2

Gigibyte motherboard (they are really damn good considering... they have good bios) or Asus board

Blu-ray Drive

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Not directly interested to top end models, but such news is indirectly good news for mid range models too.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

ssj12 said:
Squilliam said:
@SSJ but when its the other way around, Xbox 360 -> PC ports they do seem to use that third core but no more.

and how often does the PC get a 360 port? 90% of the 360's line up is PC to 360 ports. Unless you mean that horrid pot called GTA4 which needs a quad core to somewhat run ok.

No, likely its the other way around, a lot of development starts on the 360 as its the perfect middle ground between the PS3 and the PC.

Tease.

ssj12 said:
Slimebeast said:
ssj12 said:
Slimebeast said:
Go AMD!

And I;m probably going to go with the Athlon since its cheaper... save for my next rig...

Core i7 965

SSD

15kRPM HDD

1.5 TB HDD

Nvidia GTX 950 times 2

Gigibyte motherboard (they are really damn good considering... they have good bios) or Asus board

Blu-ray Drive

Oh sorry. With "GTX 950" u actually mean GTX 295 rite?

You seem quite ambituous about your future PC HW. What graphic intensive games r u playing now, and which ones are you wetting your appetite with in anticipation of the rig with Core i7 + GTX? 

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
ssj12 said:
Slimebeast said:
ssj12 said:
Slimebeast said:
Go AMD!

Core i7 965

SSD

15kRPM HDD

1.5 TB HDD

Nvidia GTX 950 times 2

Blu-ray Drive

Oh sorry. With "GTX 950" u actually mean GTX 295 rite?

You seem quite ambituous about your future PC HW. What graphic intensive games r u playing now, and which ones are you wetting your appetite with in anticipation of the rig with Core i7 + GTX? 

ya... 295.... ya.... that one...

and no freaking idea... just want head room. I guess Crysis 3? lol

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

So why exactly would someone use a next generation SSD and a 15kRPM HDD? That would be extremely noisey. Thats also about 2-3k worth of hardware, and within 6 months someone could build the same machine for half the price.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
So why exactly would someone use a next generation SSD and a 15kRPM HDD? That would be extremely noisey. Thats also about 2-3k worth of hardware, and within 6 months someone could build the same machine for half the price.

umm what?

An 64GB SSD is liike $140 plus a 2.5" tray is $35.... I think you need to check your priced, hard drives/SSD price should be under $450..... the rig in total shouldnt be over $2 if i play the price game.... and i did say I might wait for Westmare which is the 32nm Nehalems which will be cheaper and faster.

of course this could change if i use Phase change.... which is freaking expensive as hell.

Soleron said:
Squilliam said:
Good stuff, its great news for anyone building an AMD platform to know they can easily upgrade to some pretty fast chips if they want to on AM2+

Yes; the AM3 chips can also go in Socket AM2/AM2+ as well, so even new chips a year or two from now will still work in current boards. Nehalem, on the other hand...

Phenom II cpu's will only work in AM3 and AM2+ boards for a limited time.  (Only a few binned chips will work for about 2 quarters) after that they are switching everything to be AM3 only.

Not sure where you've been getting your info from ;)

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

ssj12 said:
Squilliam said:

umm what?

An 64GB SSD is liike $80 plus a 2.5" tray is $35.... I think you need to check your priced, hard drives/SSD price should be under $300.....

Why would you want a super fast SSD and a 15kRPM drive? Don't they do precisely the same job? They also scale extremely well in Raid 0 so you'd be better off striping them than to get one of both, the way I see it.

Also Nvidia has released a new high end single chip card within aprox 6 months of releasing a dual GPU card and in pretty much all cases so far you've been better off with the single chip.

7950Gx2 -> 8800GTX -> 9800GX2 -> GTX280 -> GTX 295 -> GTX3xx?

Tease.