By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - AMD Phenom @ 6.28GHz

mkhairie said:
price????????

Probably less than Q9450 for the 3.0GHz and less than the Q9300 for the 2.8GHz. That would put the first one at ~$280 and the second at ~$240.

These are high-end though; cheaper quad-, triple- and dual-cores will come from February to June.

Around the Network
Soleron said:
Squilliam said:
Good stuff, its great news for anyone building an AMD platform to know they can easily upgrade to some pretty fast chips if they want to on AM2+

Yes; the AM3 chips can also go in Socket AM2/AM2+ as well, so even new chips a year or two from now will still work in current boards. Nehalem, on the other hand...

No they can't.

DDR3 memory can't work in a DDR2 memory controller and vice versa.

FrostyTop said:
Soleron said:
Squilliam said:
Good stuff, its great news for anyone building an AMD platform to know they can easily upgrade to some pretty fast chips if they want to on AM2+

Yes; the AM3 chips can also go in Socket AM2/AM2+ as well, so even new chips a year or two from now will still work in current boards. Nehalem, on the other hand...

No they can't.

Yes they can. AM3 CPUs have a dual memory controller, so if you put them in Socket AM2 they will work with the DDR2 memory you have.

Soleron said:
FrostyTop said:
Soleron said:
Squilliam said:

No they can't.

Yes they can. AM3 CPUs have a dual memory controller, so if you put them in Socket AM2 they will work with the DDR2 memory you have.

That was the plan. But I think that strategy has been shelved, no dual memory controllers.

FrostyTop said:
Soleron said:
FrostyTop said:
Soleron said:
Squilliam said:

No they can't.

That was the plan. But I think that strategy has been shelved, no dual memory controllers.

I can't find any official comments on the matter. I suppose we'll find out in February. I don't see why the plan would change though.

Around the Network

http://www.overclockers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4224:am2-denebs-doomed-to-die-&catid=57:processors&Itemid=4263

FrostyTop said:
http://www.overclockers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4224:am2-denebs-doomed-to-die-&catid=57:processors&Itemid=4263

That's opinion. We know that AM3 chips are going to come after AM2+ chips, but I think a more plausible explanation of the delay is the AM3 motherboards not being ready. The proof of that is that DDR3 server boards aren't expected until 2009, so AM2 45nm server chips exist already and it will be the same silicon in the desktop versions. The chips themselves taped out months ago; "last minute changes" to the core design like that would have been leaked when the chip samples were given out.

Why would they go to tne trouble of making AM3 pin-compatible if you can't use it that way?

Squilliam said:
ssj12 said:
Squilliam said:
So why exactly would someone use a next generation SSD and a 15kRPM HDD? That would be extremely noisey. Thats also about 2-3k worth of hardware, and within 6 months someone could build the same machine for half the price.

umm what?

An 64GB SSD is liike $80 plus a 2.5" tray is $35.... I think you need to check your priced, hard drives/SSD price should be under $300.....

Why would you want a super fast SSD and a 15kRPM drive? Don't they do precisely the same job? They also scale extremely well in Raid 0 so you'd be better off striping them than to get one of both, the way I see it.

Also Nvidia has released a new high end single chip card within aprox 6 months of releasing a dual GPU card and in pretty much all cases so far you've been better off with the single chip.

7950Gx2 -> 8800GTX -> 9800GX2 -> GTX280 -> GTX 295 -> GTX3xx?

Also keep in mind that 1.5tb HDs have impressive performance. They actually beat 15k RPM drives in some areas, such as transfer rate, and are close enough in everything else that matters. I really don't see why you would go with both.

Oh, and ssj, haven't you been planning on making a high end computer for ages? Are you still running an 8300?

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Soleron said:
FrostyTop said:

That's opinion. We know that AM3 chips are going to come after AM2+ chips, but I think a more plausible explanation of the delay is the AM3 motherboards not being ready. The proof of that is that DDR3 server boards aren't expected until 2009, so AM2 45nm server chips exist already and it will be the same silicon in the desktop versions. The chips themselves taped out months ago; "last minute changes" to the core design like that would have been leaked when the chip samples were given out.

Why would they go to tne trouble of making AM3 pin-compatible if you can't use it that way?

Snappy....lol no problem then.

FrostyTop said:

Snappy....lol no problem then.

Of course I have faith in AMD's ability to ruin its own plans. No one knows for sure yet.