By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GameSpot Special Achievement Awards 2008.

Well, they've finally begun their awards.

http://www.gamespot.com/best-of/special-achievement/index.html?tag=topslot;thumb;1

Most Surprisingly Good Game: Air Traffic Chaos (DS). Never heard of it, can't comment. I thought Dead Space would win.

Best Story: MGS4 (PS3). Thank God! IGN gave it to GTA4 out of pity.

Best Technical Graphics: MGS4 (PS3). A lot of controversy, two VGC threads on the topic, I think Crysis Warhead didn't win because Crysis won last year. Also, MGS4 has better animations. Gears of War 2 wasn't even nominated.

Best Graphics, Artistic: Valkyria Chronicles (PS3). It gets recognition!

Best New Character: Brucie from GTA4 (PS3, X360, PC). I suppose he deserved it.

Biggest News: Is the game industry recession proof? No, it isn't.

Best Expansion Pack » WoW: Wrath of the Lich King (PC). It's a WoW expansion, of course it won!

Best Original Downloadable Console Game » Braid (X360). It looks really good from what I've seen, World of Goo was also nominated.

Best New Gaming Hardware » ATI Radeon 4870. Okay...

Best Downloadable Content » Burnout Paradise (PS3, X360). Definitely deserves it, new modes, a new car, trophies and MOTORBIKES!

Best Atmosphere » Dead Space (PS3, X360, PC). Very good, I think Left 4 Dead is better.

Best Original Music » Patapon (PSP). The game is designed around music, it deserves this.

Best Licensed Music » Braid (X360). This shocked me. I thought Rock Band 2 would get it, but they went for the underdog.

Best Sound Design » Dead Space (PS3, X360, PC). I suppose this comes with Best Atmosphere...

Best Voice Acting » MGS4 (PS3). Absolutely. Snake is nothing short of brilliant, Liquid, Meryl, Drebin and Otacon are great too.

Best Use of a Creative License » Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (Everything with a screen EXCEPT PC). I actually liked this game, and considering the (awful) competition, it had to win!

Funniest Game » Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law (DS). Okay...

Best Cooperative Multiplayer » Left 4 Dead (X360, PC). I have played this, it's intense. You have to work together and focus, you feel like you're really in the game. I'm surprised this didn't win Best Atmosphere.

Best Competitive Multiplayer » Call of Duty: World at War (PS3, X360, PC, Wii). If it builds on CoD4's multiplayer, it has to be good.

Best Original Game Mechanic » Voice Commands in EndWar (PS3, X360). I didn't like that game at all. But then, I don't have a headset.

Most Improved Sequel » Resistance 2 (PS3). Look what it had to improve on! Sure winner.

Most Innovative Game » Patapon (PSP). It was definitely innovative, unlike anything I've seen before.

Best Use of Control Scheme » Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword (DS). Okay...

Best Implementation of User-Generated Content » LittleBigPlanet (PS3). Obvious winner.

Best Original IP » No More Heroes (Wii). I suppose..

Best Boss Fights » MGS4 (PS3). The Beauty and The Beast Corps were really good, as were all of the other bosses.

Most Memorable Moment » Microwave Corridor (MGS4). That was an amazing moment.

Best UK-Developed Game » Grand Theft Auto IV. I would go with LittleBigPlanet, but this is a good choice too.

Best Australia Developed Game: De Blob. Nothing else really good this year.

Most Violent Game to Make it Past Aussie Censors: Fallout 3. It doesn't look very violent to me, I thought Dead Space would get it.

MGS4 is the clear winner, with five awards. It won everything it was nominated in.

So, the ones I disagree with:

Most Violent Game to Make it Past Aussie Censors (Should be Dead Space)
Best Atmosphere (Should be Left 4 Dead)
Best UK-Developed Game (Should be LittleBigPlanet)
Most Surprisingly Good Game (Should be Dead Space)

What about you?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

Looks to me like MGS cleans up
MUST win game of the year now...

please no more over-rated GTA4 awards...
ill cry if GTA wins it

LBP, Dead Space, and L4D, among others, deserved the original IP award over No More Heroes, imo.

^Yeah, they did. Of course, I haven't played No More Heroes, so I can't judge.

No love for Gamespot, people?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

I agree with all their awards, maybe there are a few I would have picked differently but then that would be boring.

I thought they did a great job with their awards this year.

Around the Network

I can easily agree with just about all of these awards. If the game I voted for didn't win then it was the close second and very understandable. Gamespot surprised me this year. If MGS4 gets game of the year maybe I'll forgive them for some of their past mistakes (RATCHET AND CLANK A 7.5!!!!)

PS3 Trophies

Best Implementation of User-Generated Content » LittleBigPlanet (PS3). Obvious winner.

Could have easily gone to Spore too.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

I disagree with every reward MGS4 got, except voice acting. Hated that game as much as I loved parts of it.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
I disagree with every reward MGS4 got, except voice acting. Hated that game as much as I loved parts of it.

Actually, the ONE award there I just couldn't see it losing would be boss fights. What game had better boss fights? The others I wouldn't be as shocked as. GTA4 while not that great a game imo had increadible voice acting also.

PS3 Trophies

I just wish you had listed the games first and then at the bottom or something put your own comments in about the awards.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"