By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS360 pads will die?

standard gamepads have taken a while to reach optimum gameplay potential. Games demand change in input methods not the other way around. Analogue sticks were introduced to take advantage of easy movement in 3D worlds, 6 button gamepads for use in MK/SF2 games. Nintendo trying to implement motion control in certain genres is iffy- mario kart, any complex fighting game. Motion control may eventually become a very viable option but standard gamepads are still the most precise way to control your characters- yet.

Its a no brainer that the next genre motion control will get bigger. I expect all the 3 or 4 (if there are any newcomers) companies to battle it out on the motion control front. So far motion control hasn't won me over yet, but eventually it will.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Around the Network

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

One_touch_KO said:

Now the world as gone Wii-crazy, will the next consoles from Sony and Microsoft and whoever joins the market have a revolution in they're controll schemes?

Will Microsoft and Sony join the motion generation wich they criticized and called "gimmick" a few years ago?

Or will be there always a place for the classic gaming experience?

when it come to the Wii why do most love the GC controller for smash, and mario cart???  yes even with new control devices old controller schemes are still valued and preferred by some.

oh crap multiple posts...:( stupid firefox!

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

scottie said:
so you're saying 3+1 = 6?

Also, I don't care what articles you pull out

Buy a Wii, and these three games. Kororinpa, No More Heroes and Wii Play

In Kororinpa, you use the rotation function of the wiimote in 3 dimensions to guide your ball. These are 3 dimensions. The nunchuck can be used by player 2 in kororinpa, so it too has these 3

In No More Heroes, you use linear translation of the Wiimote and nunchuck to perform wrestling moves, either lifting the controller, or moving it left to right, that's another 2 dimensions for both the wiimote and chuck

In Wii Play, you use linear translation of the wiimote to play pool, this is a forwards backwards motion, hence a 6th axis for the Wiimote

So that is 11 axiis, I can't think of a game offhand that uses forwards-backwards motion of the nunchuk. Anyone?

the controller itself in the same piece of hardware.

and i had a wii but i sold it.

seriously the articles are from the supplier and they show what kind of hardware it's in wii mote, thats3 way axis motion sensor. + nunchuck.

the thing is ps3 have 6 in a single chip, but they are not used in games think that i consider good cuz i think they ruin many games, like racers or fighting games.

Around the Network

I just explained how the wiimote itself has 3 translational axiis and 3 rotational, and that the nunchuck has the same, using control schemes for games as proof

Would you like me to explain it again? I'm really not sure how I can simplify it any further.

Good god why does it matter? Putting aside the fact that not every game will benefit from motion control. Neither implementations are the most optimal or accurate possible. And really why does it need to be yet? Many Wii games are simple enough that they don't even need half the power of the wiimote. While there are other games which suffer from the current wiimote even with motion+ there will still be games which require even better accuracy and need spacial readings on top of motion.

Even if we agreed the sixaxis has the same relational potential as the wiimote they both suffer from not being able to get true spacial readings.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

scottie said:
I just explained how the wiimote itself has 3 translational axiis and 3 rotational, and that the nunchuck has the same, using control schemes for games as proof

Would you like me to explain it again? I'm really not sure how I can simplify it any further.

Actually, the wii remote can only detect 3 translational axes and only 2 rotational axes.  Assuming a standard position of the remote as parallel to the ground, IR facing the TV, the 3 translational axes are:  forward-backward motions, up-down motions, left-right motions.  The rotational axes are roll (as if turning a key) and pitch (tilting the remote up and down).  The wii remote cannot detect yaw (rotation parallel to the ground).  This lacking axis is compensated by using the IR functionality instead (only to the limits of the IR facing TV).

The nunchuck has the same detectable axes as the wii remote but obviously without the IR functionality.

OT:

I think it was Iwata who said that from now on, all traditional controllers will now be the classic controllers.  Sony and MS may not follow the path of Nintendo in going full motion controls but they will really be left behind if they don't.  Consider the  new gamers with the wii as their 1st console.  Do you think they would like to play tennis, golf or bowling with buttons again?  If they are used to the wii wheel, I don't think they will accept analog stick control in their future consoles.

Again quoting Iwata:  The game has changed... and the way to play the game has to be changed.

I hope not. I will always hope for a way to play that doesn't involve motion.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Daddo Splat said:
One_touch_KO said:

Now the world as gone Wii-crazy, will the next consoles from Sony and Microsoft and whoever joins the market have a revolution in they're controll schemes?

Will Microsoft and Sony join the motion generation wich they criticized and called "gimmick" a few years ago?

Or will be there always a place for the classic gaming experience?

when it come to the Wii why do most love the GC controller for smash, and mario cart???  yes even with new control devices old controller schemes are still valued and preferred by some.

Maybe because that's how they're used to playing the games? I've never played Smash bros., but I imagine that many of the Smash players played it a lot before on the N64 and/or GC using a standard type controller and that's what they are used to.

I know for myself, I prefer playing MK Wii using a standard type controller as I grew up playing Super Mario Kart (my favorite!) and even some MK64. My gf however was never that much into MK games (only played a bit of SMK a long time ago) and she enjoyed using the Wheel to play it.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"