By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 360 sales are inflated due to redundant purchases from impatient gamers.

XBox 360 clearly sells more than PS3. XBox 360 has a much larger games library, better online service with a lot more subscribers than PSN, Live has more exclusive content. PS3 hardware sales are more likely to be inflated. PS3 does not sell very well at all due to its ridiculous inflated price tag. PS3 game sales as a whole have been low in comparison to XBox 360 game sales.

Around the Network

In terms of multiple consoles: we've got 3 PS2s in our house. 2 dreamcasts. 2 xbox 360s. ALL working. People have money to buy it and they have multiple rooms.

dougsdad0629 said:

In a recent thread (http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=53884&page=1), I mentioned how I overheard a teenager say how he was going to buy a new 360 to replace his RROD rather than sending it in.  I assumed this kid was just an idiot and asked people to reassure me he was, but I was completely FLOORED by how many people replied to this thread that buying a new console was no big deal and they had either done it themselves, would do it themselves or know someone who has done just such a thing.  This thread is a request to VGChartz staff and data gathering people.  If possible, can we do some sort of poll/study about how many 360 consoles are redundant sales to someone replacing a defective system?  In other words, despite how many systems your site has tracked being sold, how many have been to UNIQUE users?  If this phenomenon doesn't exist and is just BS from people yanking my chain, I'd be interested to know that as well.  If it is true, even to a small extent, I don't want to hear any 360 owners complain about the price of a PS3 if they are willing to shell out twice (or more) for the 360.

a sale is a sale not who bought 2 or 3 this site tracks sales if one customer bought 10 who cares??? 10 sold not one.

I would argue then the attach rate is even more phenomenal then other consoles based on one guy buys 2 or 3 360s then he must have bought 21 games also to keep the attach rate at 7.5 per console what a great customer to have if your in business.

showing 360 customers again are the best.

I know 3 people who have done it.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

It still counts as a sale.

Also this type of behaviour will be more common in 2009 as first x360 are running out of warranty. So people will have to replace them.

BUT this has impact on real user base and if we inlude the fact you can pirate games on x360 then real user base is lower than sales number show and quite possibly similar to ps3 numbers (on the other hand some ps3 are used for BR only)

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network

Dude Ive owned 5 PS2's, 3 N64's and 2 Xbox's. Your pont is? On that basis the PS2 figure needs to be divided by 5 to get real number.

Say after me, My name is Mr troll.

NiKKoM said:
So? I have bought 2 ps1... and a PSone... A PS2.. and a PS2slim.. a DS and a DSlite... What's your point?

That people should only buy a new console when it comes with new functions, not buy a new console of one you already have so it will.....function. THat is his point. >_>

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

I have two 360's, one at home thats my primary console and one at work, the one at work is played by other people and they buy games for it, bottom line is the vast majority of people who get RROD will just buy another console and when the other console comes back from repairs they will just sell the refurbed console on e-bay/at a games shop ect.

Oh look, another rehashed PR blurb from 2007... can't you guys come up with new excuses?

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

numonex said:

XBox 360 clearly sells more than PS3. XBox 360 has a much larger games library(No it doesnt it only has 50 or so games more then the PS3 when the total is like 350 to 300,THe PS3 has more games rated above  8.5 anyway, crap games don't even sell), better online service with a lot more subscribers than PSN(Debatable, seeing as consumers like me prefer free over slight inhancements. And in case you havent heard, both have 15million subscribers), Live has more exclusive content(This is true). PS3 hardware sales are more likely to be inflated(Why would this be exactly?). PS3 does not sell very well at all due to its ridiculous inflated price tag(INFLATED?! More like a super bargain seeing as the tech inside would cost you a quick 800 at the least anywhere else. THe 360 is a DEFLATED price with underlining fees such as 50 bucks for live a year, buying rechargable batterieswhich are at least 40, 100 dollar wifi adaptor,etc). PS3 game sales as a whole have been low in comparison to XBox 360 game sales.(Tomb Raider sold better on PS3 then 360, GTA sold better on 360, DMC4 sold better on PS3, it goes back and forth.)

Your whole arguement is rediculous!

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)