By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 360 sales are inflated due to redundant purchases from impatient gamers.

Tyrannical said:
If that were true, you'd see it in a lower attach rate.

nah dude didnt ya see, 360 owners buy extra copies of each game tso when onegets scratched up we just throw the other one away... i have like 20 copies of rainbowssix vegas 2.... there are really only 8 million 360 owners ... we just have lots of disposable income and no idea what to do with it 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Around the Network
dougsdad0629 said:

In a recent thread (http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=53884&page=1), I mentioned how I overheard a teenager say how he was going to buy a new 360 to replace his RROD rather than sending it in.  I assumed this kid was just an idiot and asked people to reassure me he was, but I was completely FLOORED by how many people replied to this thread that buying a new console was no big deal and they had either done it themselves, would do it themselves or know someone who has done just such a thing.  This thread is a request to VGChartz staff and data gathering people.  If possible, can we do some sort of poll/study about how many 360 consoles are redundant sales to someone replacing a defective system?  In other words, despite how many systems your site has tracked being sold, how many have been to UNIQUE users?  If this phenomenon doesn't exist and is just BS from people yanking my chain, I'd be interested to know that as well.  If it is true, even to a small extent, I don't want to hear any 360 owners complain about the price of a PS3 if they are willing to shell out twice (or more) for the 360.

Wow this is thin, you sersiouly think the sals are from reduant owners, if that were true the return rate on them would be like 50%.  Many people own mutiple of the same system I have 2 PS2's, 2xbox 360's and one WII.  Nice try though the reason the 360 is selling so well is cause its amazing library, great graphics and low price.  Simple as that

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

I fully agree that the sales figures are greatly inflated. I have personally owned 7 xbox 360s and now own none. 4 were RROD one scratched a disc 4 hours into its first play day of purchase, and 2 would lock up. I have owned 2 PS3s since launch becuase one was stolen when my house was broken into. All 7 360s were returned since Target gives 3 months for refunds I bought there. 2 made it past that 3 month period, so they took a trip to Walmart where no receipt was needed. I waited a month or 2 before rebuying, usually when a must have game launched - fable 2 and GOW2 sparked the last 2 *pray they fixed it purchases. No way was I going to return these to MicroSh*t and have to wait.  To be fair, out of necessity only MicroSh*t has better customer service and return policy, but that is due to insane failure rate. With my PS3 I paid the extra $14 for a 2 year no questions asked exchange/return warranty, but doubt I will ever have the need to use it.

PSN ID TheFragleader -

One more note forgot to mention, look at the amount of gamers online. Last I checked it was equal about 8 million for 360 and 8 million for PS3. IF 360 had such a lead wouldnt you think the amount of online gamers would be proportionaly greater? Food for thought.

thecompudoc said:

One more note forgot to mention, look at the amount of gamers online. Last I checked it was equal about 8 million for 360 and 8 million for PS3. IF 360 had such a lead wouldnt you think the amount of online gamers would be proportionaly greater? Food for thought.

It is also worth pointing out that by having built in WiFi the PS3 has a large advantage by this measure.

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall 
Around the Network
dougsdad0629 said:
NiKKoM said:
So? I have bought 2 ps1... and a PSone... A PS2.. and a PS2slim.. a DS and a DSlite... What's your point?

The point is that there is a warranty in place that allows 360 owners to get their console repaired for FREE, yet people still elect to just buy a new one.  I'm sure that any of your hardware that was defective was out of warranty or at least you upgraded to a different model and were getting something different such as going from DS to DS Lite.

When you have an older unit, and buying a new one gets you a bigger harddrive, and so on, then it makes sense.  Also, if you don't want to way a month to get back and start playing, that would make sense also.  I would also send the system in and get it repaired.  This way, you have a system you could possibly trade in later, or give to someone else as a gift.

I actually know several people who have had to buy another 360 due to rrod...not because they were impatient but rather because the warranty was out and they would rather buy new then refurbished. I am a firm believer that the 360 sales are inflated by rrod