By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - FF X-2 is better than FFXII !!!

Riachu said:
Khuutra said:
oliist said:
I fully agree and predict that there will never be a Final Fantasy as bad as XII with its pseudo deep political story, with the worst VA I have ever witnessed and its boring main characters.

You cannot be serious about any of this. XII had the most straight-up political story in the whole franchise, the best voice acting I have ever heard in a game, and the characters were straight out of a good book.

Too bad I never finished FFXII.  I would have liked to form a good opinion on the game itself.  I might get to finish FFXII if I ever get the chance.  Khuutra, what do you mean by "the characters were straight out of a good book" and what did you think of the main characters in previous FF games?

As in the character development for the FFXII cast was more akin to the development of characters in Western literature, with a much smaller focus on flashbacks than in most JRPGs. They abandoneed the trope of characterization through backstory, and change happens in characters without being driven into your skull via a jackhammer.

I think I can sum it up by saying that Kain Highwind and Celes Chere are probably my favorite Final Fantasy characters when it comes to the old games. I hate the cast of FFVII, though Barrett is made good from the confrontation with Dyne alone.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
Riachu said:
Khuutra said:
oliist said:
I fully agree and predict that there will never be a Final Fantasy as bad as XII with its pseudo deep political story, with the worst VA I have ever witnessed and its boring main characters.

You cannot be serious about any of this. XII had the most straight-up political story in the whole franchise, the best voice acting I have ever heard in a game, and the characters were straight out of a good book.

Too bad I never finished FFXII. I would have liked to form a good opinion on the game itself. I might get to finish FFXII if I ever get the chance. Khuutra, what do you mean by "the characters were straight out of a good book" and what did you think of the main characters in previous FF games?

As in the character development for the FFXII cast was more akin to the development of characters in Western literature, with a much smaller focus on flashbacks than in most JRPGs. They abandoneed the trope of characterization through backstory, and change happens in characters without being driven into your skull via a jackhammer.

I think I can sum it up by saying that Kain Highwind and Celes Chere are probably my favorite Final Fantasy characters when it comes to the old games. I hate the cast of FFVII, though Barrett is made good from the confrontation with Dyne alone.

In other words, you are saying that the characterization is more subtle and that the characters are driven by events in the present and not what happened in the past, right?

That is basically it, yes.

FF X-2 was really bad, I couldn't finish it. In Final Fantasy XII I logged over 140 hours, damn Yiazmat probably took 10 hours alone.

AceRock owns one PS3, one PS Vita, and one PS4.

RolStoppable said:
FF X-2 was the only good Final Fantasy on the PS2.

You like X-2 over X?  What kind of gaming tastes do you have?

Around the Network
Riachu said:
RolStoppable said:

I haven't played X-2, but it has the benefit of not appearing to take itself seriously.

Riachu said:
RolStoppable said:

Rollish.

RolStoppable said:
Khuutra said:
Riachu said:
RolStoppable said:

I haven't played X-2, but it has the benefit of not appearing to take itself seriously.

Indeed and that's one of the strong points of the game. The other one is by far the best and most dynamic Active Time Battle system in a Final Fantasy game. The music is great too. There's way too much story in the game though.

You got that right.

RolStoppable said:
Khuutra said:
Riachu said:
RolStoppable said:

Indeed and that's one of the strong points of the game. The other one is by far the best and most dynamic Active Time Battle system in a Final Fantasy game. The music is great too. There's way too much story in the game though.

Man too much stories in J-popRPGs just puts a bur in my bonnet.

I'll eventually play it anyway, of course, when I finish FFX.

RolStoppable said:
Xen said:
RolStoppable said:
Khuutra said:

You got that right.

Don't forget about the great music.

Some of it, yup. Especially the battle theme and the.. challenge theme? the music you get while running the gauntlet.

Also, the fantastic 1000 words song. Gold.