By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Says There Are No Plans for Further PlayStation

As more and more consoles are being sold, the console makers will generate more revenue from royalties on software sales. Since the Xbox 360 and PS3s are still selling at losses, the software sales are crucial to their success. The problem with Sony is that they are getting fierce competition from Xbox 360 in the HD market, and the Wii in general. This does not bode well with them. Their only hope is to slowly make gains in the growing gaming market to a point where they can make profit from software sales. It wont be anytime soon, so they can only take a long term approach. However, when that day comes no one can say. With the economic crisis things are looking even worse for Sony.

In the meantime Sony just cant go and throw millions of dollars in to developing a new console while their current one is losing money.

If the PS4 ever comes out it wont be for many, many years.

Around the Network

Oh yeah, Sony is dead, what can we do but accept it...........................

Yeah right, like they're going to announce the PS4 now, remember the CD, 32X and the Saturn??? never had a chance because Sega did early announcements... It's only 2 years into PS3's lifespan, if they're going to announce anything, it's on the 4th year of the console (or the 5th)...

Sony = Dead Confirmed

Thread can now be closed

/sarcasm

I'd shed a tear for Team ICO if this actually happened.

SpartanFX said:
you want them really to tell you when they will release the new console?did MS say when they will release their new console?Oh NoeZZZ no Xbox720 i guess

lame article at its best

Not that I think there won't be a PS4 (no opinion on the matter), but there's a key difference between what Microsoft and Sony had to say on this matter: Microsoft confirmed that they are indeed doing preliminary R&D on their next machine, whereas Sony has stated here that there are currently no plans.

Not that it's necessarily true, but the two are completely incomparable.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network

If what he is saying is true then the very least we can gather is that the next console from Microsoft will be out at least a year before Sonys next playstation, Just like developers of games as soon as you finish you get cracking on the next one, even if its just market research and looking at specs and stuff. I would take a wild guess and say Microsoft are already planning the "720" ... and if Sony are not even thinking about the PS4 then Microsoft are going to get a serious lead!

Talking about jumping the gun people, he does know, doesn't mean Sony doesn't know. And Whoever said it would be called 'Playstation'?

I see no reason for Sony to leave the console business yet. M$ didn't when they lost billions.

Hmm, pie.

Why on EARTH would the Sony boss let the PS4 be known about now?
It would be unthinkable and brand suicide at this point.
much like if Sony anounced a PS3 price cut tomorrow to take effect in late Jan.
That would just be plain stupid.

This is a completely misleading thread title and it incorrectly interperets David Reeves statement and the article

If Sony were now to announce the PS4 being released early Feb 09, then I'd be worried.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

seece said:
If what he is saying is true then the very least we can gather is that the next console from Microsoft will be out at least a year before Sonys next playstation, Just like developers of games as soon as you finish you get cracking on the next one, even if its just market research and looking at specs and stuff. I would take a wild guess and say Microsoft are already planning the "720" ... and if Sony are not even thinking about the PS4 then Microsoft are going to get a serious lead!

I agree.  Microsoft will have the lead over Sony.  However, I dont think MS is too eager to launch their next console.  They are beeter off making profit off the 360 while it is profitable, and the longer it is out there the more there will be in circulation making revenue off of software sales.  The only thing that could screw this formula is the competition or a shrinking software sales market.  However, the competition is currently not strong enough to dampen the 360's growing console or software sales, and the gaming market keeps getting bigger and bigger.

However, were Sony to reconsider, and announce a future console, MS would have to reassess their strategy.  the same could also happen were Nintendo to plan a new console.

Of course, MS could get greedy and try to capture a larger share of the market with a hurried launch of the 720, but they risk cannibalizing their own 360 product sales or alienating consumers with a new high priced console.  They would have to support both at the same time, and that too would cost money.

There are several factors involved. However, the way things are going now there is no immediacy. The 8th gen wont arrive for a long time.

Early days yet. I think there will be a PS4. Sony shouldnt give up, Nintendo didnt after the gamecube, look where they are now. I would be very dissapointed if Sony stopped making consoles.