By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - On The Verge of A Gaming Crash? Without Nintendo....

bigjon said:

Rockband Wii is outselling Rockband 2 on the HD consoles, but EA was so far behind the curve it took them so long to get rockband 1 out, they had to push back rockband 2, basically missing this cmas also.

Nope! Rockband 1 Wii has sold peanuts compared to rockabnd 1 Xbox360...and is tracking at only 20K more than Rockband 2 Xbox360 despite being on the market for more than 3 months the the 360 version.

Rest of your post is a valid argument. However you can't force people to work with motion controls and outdated visuals if they dont want to. A lot of companies are making games that THEY WANT TO MAKE...

Also the fact that these rehash giants like EA and Activision may be losing money only makes me laugh. They should be the first to exploit the Wii...so I don't know whats up there.

Around the Network
disolitude said:
bigjon said:

Rockband Wii is outselling Rockband 2 on the HD consoles, but EA was so far behind the curve it took them so long to get rockband 1 out, they had to push back rockband 2, basically missing this cmas also.

Nope! Rockband 1 Wii has sold peanuts compared to rockabnd 1 Xbox360...and is tracking at only 20K more than Rockband 2 Xbox360 despite being on the market for more than 3 months the the 360 version.

Rest of your post is a valid argument. However you can't force people to work with motion controls and outdated visuals if they dont want to. A lot of companies are making games that THEY WANT TO MAKE...

Also the fact that these rehash giants like EA and Activision may be losing money only makes me laugh. They should be the first to exploit the Wii...so I don't know whats up there.

http://vgchartz.com/aweekly.php?date=39789&console=&maker=Electronic+Arts&boxartz=1

i was going by this.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

So everyone should have lumped on the wii....pretty obvious in retrospect

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Developers make games on systems that sell games. If they see the Wii selling games to the demographic they want, they will switch. You can want to view game devs as the big bad stupid idiots who only want bloody games and hate the Wii as much as you like, but I promise you they have more marketing knowledge then anyone here, and know what will make them the most profit.

I suppose the economic depression has nothing to with losing money either, right? And we talk of ignorance here. If we end up getting sub-par games that sell well because they target the Wii's primary demographic, then the game industry WILL end as we know it.

No more Heroes is a more hardcore game and if you consider that  game selling well, then the 360 can sell tons of JRPGs well.

The only real argument  I can see here is that it costs less to make a game on the Wii so if it sells crap then it still will make a minor profit. And thats valid.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Shadowblind said:

Developers make games on systems that sell games. If they see the Wii selling games to the demographic they want, they will switch. You can want to view game devs as the big bad stupid idiots who only want bloody games and hate the Wii as much as you like, but I promise you they have more marketing knowledge then anyone here, and know what will make them the most profit.

I suppose the economic depression has nothing to with losing money either, right? And we talk of ignorance here. If we end up getting sub-par games that sell well because they target the Wii's primary demographic, then the game industry WILL end as we know it.

No more Heroes is a more hardcore game and if you consider that  game selling well, then the 360 can sell tons of JRPGs well.

western devs have done nothing to prove to me that they are not idiots. Just becuase you are the CEO or Marketing Chief does not mean you know what is best for your company. Look at all the companies going down and tell me they ALL know what they are doing. (referring to the economy as a whole, not just gaming with the last statement)

If you are a business your goal is to make money, and increase shareholder wealth. Now, the artist and such in the studio may be more about making cool games, but the guys at the top care about the bottom line, and they are the ones with the final say. It seems those guys at the top are starting to reconize what the Wii could be. (net profit wise)

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network
disolitude said:

A lot of companies are making games that THEY WANT TO MAKE...

That is one of the things that is glaringly wrong with the video game industry, there just are too many companies making games they want and not enough making games other people want.

largedarryl said:
disolitude said:

That is one of the things that is glaringly wrong with the video game industry, there just are too many companies making games they want and not enough making games other people want.

OMG! I just had a thought.  Could you imagine if Oprah bought out some game developers and starting making games for her viewers?! 

Gamerace said:
largedarryl said:
disolitude said:

OMG! I just had a thought.  Could you imagine if Oprah bought out some game developers and starting making games for her viewers?! 

At this moment in time, Oprah could pretty much do anything she wants.  The following she has in the US could almost allow her to move into any business venture and succeed.  There is lots of room in the video game industry right now, the only problem is that room isn't where all the publishers want to go.

I see Bigjon, the solution is: instead of making a crappy game with a big budget for an HD console, make an even crappier game but with less money for the Wii and you **MAY** reap the benefits, at least won't lose much money.

OK. Now, I can't see which part of that benefits the players. More crappy games with no commitment to quality, I don't want that , don't know about you.

If a company wants to stay competitive they've got to work harder, if the can't then it's time for them to consider developing other kinds of games, there's the PSN/Xbox Live Alternative. Look at the healthy Capcom branch of downloadable games, look at all the fine content of indie games on the PSN. If you can't deliver, you just can't so change your business, if that means going the Wii way to put out your trash there, then do it, if it's for the sake of business, it's all about money anyway. I just don't see how that benefits the industry. Even worse, I see that could very well be the path to destruction (going the casual, generic way) the only "Big Crash" of videogames that ever happened to this industry was provoked exactly by that proliference of crappy casual games.

Magnific0 said:
I see Bigjon, the solution is: instead of making a crappy game with a big budget for an HD console, make an even crappier game but with less money for the Wii and you **MAY** reap the benefits, at least won't lose much money.

OK. Now, I can't see which part of that benefits the players. More crappy games with no commitment to quality, I don't want that , don't know about you.

If a company wants to stay competitive they've got to work harder, if the can't then it's time for them to consider developing other kinds of games, there's the PSN/Xbox Live Alternative. Look at the healthy Capcom branch of downloadable games, look at all the fine content of indie games on the PSN. If you can't deliver, you just can't so change your business, if that means going the Wii way to put out your trash there, then do it, if it's for the sake of business, it's all about money anyway. I just don't see how that benefits the industry. Even worse, I see that could very well be the path to distruction (going the casual, generic way) the only "Big Crash" of videogames that ever happened to this industry was provoked exactly by that proliference of crappy casual games.

I think you shouldn't be focussing on the Wii part of this argument (unless you plan on trashing the Wii), but on the fact that game devs are simply making mediocre games.  Whether the games are for the Wii or an HD system, if the games are mediocre, they should only sell as much as a mediocre title.  With the appropriate sales expectations, an appropriate budget can be made to invest in the game.  It seems like a majority of the Western 3rd party devs percieve investment as directly proportional to profit (i.e the more that is spent on a game means it will sell more), which is not the case.  If 3rd party devs made games with the same quality as Nintendo and Sony, many of these 3rd parties would be more succesful, regardless of console choice.

As for the last part of your argument I need to agree with, we will have the same problem if a majority of the devs make casual games, which is just as bad as most of them releasing another shooter.