By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - This is why I use HD consoles even for games that also come out on PC

You could seriously buy a computer with the recommended specs for less than $500.

CPU - $120
2 GB ram - $75
ATI x1950GT - $140
Mobo - $75
HDD - $50
Use the remaining money for a cheap case and rip the peripherals from the pc you have now.

That pc will easily run all games coming out for the next few years (especially if you o/c it). By the time you upgrade, the graphics on the pc will make the ps3 and 360 look like an NES. Plus it's a pc, so you can do fun things like download mp3s and surf for pr0n!

P.S. - The problem with vista and gaming is that the performance isn't up to snuff. It'll probably get there, but until then, I'm sticking with xp.

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:
robjoh said:
ckmlb said:

Minimum requirements for Stranglehold coming this month on 360/PC and next for PS3:

Windows XP SP2 / VISTA (Games for Windows compliant)
Dual Core Processor
2 Gigs of Ram
Nvidia 7800 or higher / ATI x1300 or higher
Disk space: 15 gigs

The number one problem is that Vista is so resource hungry that it will kill gaming. I think it needs somewhere around 1 GB just to run Vista.

Where did you hear this? Mine is currently using 480 MBs. I've never seen it push past 550. And yes, I strongly dislike many aspects of Vista. 

Vista is non-functional with below 1GB of RAM. As it is, a game could easily use up all the free memory considering other apps likely to be running with vista and 1gb ram.

"Suck on it" -vgchartz mod

What gets me with those spec's. isn't the specs

its the video card for nvidia

the 7800 is a SIGNIFICANTLY better performing card than the ati1300

the 1300 is equal in performance to the nvidia higher 7300/low7600 gpu..

weird.

15 GB??!! Jesus tapdancing christ... That's plain insanity. I've yet to install a game that requires half that! Heh, imagine getting this pirated in image form and having to store the discs themselves as well...

wangfoo said:
Bodhesatva said:
robjoh said:
ckmlb said:

Minimum requirements for Stranglehold coming this month on 360/PC and next for PS3:

Dual Core Processor
2 Gigs of Ram

The number one problem is that Vista is so resource hungry that it will kill gaming. I think it needs somewhere around 1 GB just to run Vista.

Where did you hear this? Mine is currently using 480 MBs. I've never seen it push past 550. And yes, I strongly dislike many aspects of Vista.

Vista is non-functional with below 1GB of RAM. As it is, a game could easily use up all the free memory considering other apps likely to be running with vista and 1gb ram.

Whoa whoa, saying that a system requires 1 GB of RAM and saying that the OS uses 1 GB of RAM are very different statements. That's changing the argument. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network
your mother said:

You are forgetting about optimization.

Let's see how Crysis runs, unoptimized in an HD console.

60fps? 1920x1080? Full graphics, texture and physics details? 16x anisotropic filtering? 8x FSAA? 2GB RAM? HDR?

No. No. No. No. No. No. And, no.

It wouldn't happen. What this shows you is that in fact, despite the excessive requirements, your average gaming rig will still be able to handle Stranglehold. The same cannot be said the other way around.

The point he was making was about high system requirements and you bring out the game with the highest system requirements for PC to counter him, how does that make sense?

I will be laughing when we say a (this gen)console game that looks better than crisis, or even if we see crisis on the ps3 roumers still on..

mM
Sqrl said:

Since bod mentioned it I figured I would add these for comparison....

Bioshock PC Sytem Specs

Operating Systems:
Windows XP (with Service Pack 2) or
Windows Vista

Minimum System Requirements:
CPU: Pentium 4 2.4GHz Single Core processor

System RAM:
1GB

Video Card: Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 128MB RAM (NVIDIA 6600 or better/ATI X1300 or better, excluding ATI X1550).

Sound Card: 100% direct X 9.0c compatible sound card

Hard disc space: 8GB free space

Recommended System Requirements:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo processor

System RAM: 2GB

Video card:
DX9: Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512MB RAM (NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT or better)
DX10: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 or better

Sound Card: Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ series (Optimized for use with Creative Labs EAX ADVANCED HD 4.0 or EAX ADVANCED HD 5.0 compatible sound cards)

PS - I think Bioshock also looks a lot better than Stranglehold, visually and gameplay wise.  But thats a different thread. 

Minimum system requirements for a PC game is what's needed just to get the game to run.  Usually you're forced to turn everything down in most games to the point where the PS3 and 360 versions look the same or even better.  For example try running Oblivion with those minumum requirements, I can guarantee  it won't look as good as the two console versions unless a decent framerate doesn't matter to a person.

Legend11 said:

Minimum system requirements for a PC game is what's needed just to get the game to run. Usually you're forced to turn everything down in most games to the point where the PS3 and 360 versions look the same or even better. For example try running Oblivion with those minumum requirements, I can guarantee it won't look as good as the two console versions unless a decent framerate doesn't matter to a person.

I know what minimum specifications means

But if you look at the requirements for games like Bioshock, Episode One, etc they are well below anything I would consider a high end setup.  Most people will be well above  min specs.

As far as I know the 360/PS3 version of Oblivion are somewhere on the middle to low side of settings as it is anyways. But I wouldn't really point to oblivion for any performance awards anyways....It was a bit of a hog for what it did honestly.

To Each Man, Responsibility
wangfoo said:
Bodhesatva said:
robjoh said:
ckmlb said:

Dual Core Processor
2 Gigs of Ram

Vista is non-functional with below 1GB of RAM. As it is, a game could easily use up all the free memory considering other apps likely to be running with vista and 1gb ram.

more or less that what was I meant, sorry for the late answer. Of course I do hate all lazy programmers demanding more and more resources for doing things I don't need.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!