By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - This is why I use HD consoles even for games that also come out on PC

Bodhesatva said:
ckmlb said:
If this game already has these kinds of minimum specs, I can see gams going insane in a few years. This game isn't even as impressive as some...

The problem always with PCs is you need to upgrade much more often for more money than you need to buy consoles (once a generation), even with the new high priced consoles my point is proven still.

Except BioShock and others have already released their specs, and they aren't anywhere near this. Upgrading is certainly an issue, but this game is clearly at fault here. It's horribly lacking in optimization, as I said.

If anything, the lack of optimisation is what would push me to play it on a console instead. There are way too many PC/Console games where the PC version just feels very half-arsed. Fortunately my current rig is still handling new releases in 720p or higher at the moment anyway, but once it starts to fall behind I will probably pick up a 360/PS3 (I'm waiting for price drops anyway).

Around the Network

Since bod mentioned it I figured I would add these for comparison....

Bioshock PC Sytem Specs

Operating Systems:
Windows XP (with Service Pack 2) or
Windows Vista

Minimum System Requirements:
CPU: Pentium 4 2.4GHz Single Core processor

System RAM:
1GB

Video Card: Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 128MB RAM (NVIDIA 6600 or better/ATI X1300 or better, excluding ATI X1550).

Sound Card: 100% direct X 9.0c compatible sound card

Hard disc space: 8GB free space

Recommended System Requirements:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo processor

System RAM: 2GB

Video card:
DX9: Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512MB RAM (NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT or better)
DX10: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 or better

Sound Card: Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ series (Optimized for use with Creative Labs EAX ADVANCED HD 4.0 or EAX ADVANCED HD 5.0 compatible sound cards)

PS - I think Bioshock also looks a lot better than Stranglehold, visually and gameplay wise.  But thats a different thread. 

To Each Man, Responsibility
steven787 said:
Headsets, Dancemats, Controllers, Paddles, Nice Displays, and Windows Live all cost money for PC's too.

But even with out these we are talking over a thousand dollars to play some current games, just for the basic hardware. While let's pick a console: Wii with a balance board(guessing high $89), 3 extra controllers, 3 nunchucks, and a LAN adapter = $462 and 3 games are included (WiiPlay, WiiFit, and Wii Sports)

It's is fair to say that the experience is better, that is a fair opinion, but it is not cheaper. (And before someone says it: Wii and PS3 can do flash games, so that kills that argument before it starts.)

BTW, There is also the hardware confusion factor, which scares off many consumers.

What exactly is the point of the argument again. PC gamers are high-end consumers, console gamers are not.

Nice displays are a given with a PC - and today's displays all support at the very least 720p. Ckmlb had to buy a new screen for HD gaming. I can still use the monitor I had about eight years ago to play in HD resolutions.

You normally don't game with multitap with seven other people with seven controllers in a PC. You do do this with a console. Normally you need one gamepad if you really want to, but normally you get by with the keyboard and mouse.  Things like webcams, gamepads and such will last you far beyond the lifetime of your average PC, because PC follow a standard. Consoles are console-specific; you can't use a Wii mote on a PS3, or vice-versa. On the other hand, you can take any USB gamepad from one PC to another, five years ago, today, and 10 years into the future without worries because the PC architecture is universally compatible. And Windows Live only costs money if you plan to play cross-platform games. For many games you don't need Live.

It's not fair to say the experience is better or worse. They are simply different. One is more isolated while the other tends to be more social, but even then that is a gross generalization. The fact is, people game for different reasons, with different settings, and with different expectations. 

I think consoles, by introducing more SKUs, are just as guilty of confusing consumers these days.

PC gamers are not high-end consumers. I'd argue that fact actually. Most PC gamers are low-end gamers, because they see the PC not just as a gaming rig, but as a general-purpose machine that helps them write term papers, browse the web, balance their checkbooks, write applications, do graphic design - and game. The gaming part is an added bonus to the productivity that the PC brings to the user's daily life. I don't see or hear of too many people planning their family budget or of Web developers cranking out HTML with Dreamweaver on their PS3s!

Consoles, on the other hand are meant for gaming only (and despite what other stuff these new generation consoles can do, the focus is definitely on gaming). Wii+PS3+360+peripherals+HDTV for your nex-gen gaming goodness adds up to at leat the cost of a decent gaming PC. If anything, I'd say it's the other way around: Most console gamers I know are not nearly as frugal as the PC gamers I know.

your mother,

==> U dont need to buy all the accessory u have listed :

buy a 20gb PS3 model and it is ok (500$)
no need more
95% of the game will function and dont need any specific accessory
If u want u can add headset+keyboard but they are both cheap.
Even an HDTV is not needed ...

For a PC :1000$ is not suficient ...
and with PC, no good specs = no games at all.

Time to Work !

libellule said:
your mother,

no need more

libellule,

I don't need to buy all those accessories, but ckmlb's thread title is about HD consoles, and you don't get HD gaming without an HD display.

You can game on with next generation hardware, yes, but you can't see it in HD.

Your average 700$ computer can also play 95% of the games out for the PC!

And 1000$ is definitely enough to play games on a PC. I should know: I have two low-life computers (Talking about Semprons here with 6800GT cards and they can run Doom3 @ 720p @ High detail @ 30fps. Not too shabby for two-year-old hardware.

Edit: PC gaming isn't nearly as expensive as many think. I'd say it's about on par with consoles if you just want to play 95% of PC games. It's that last 5% that costs you a fortune.

Again, if you want to play Mario Party with your buddies, Eye of Judgement with your buddy and Halo 3 on Live, what do you have to buy - and how much is it going to cost you?

Around the Network

This is just an obvious case of developers doing a shitty job at porting to PC. I doubt there's any optimization happening here.

libellule said:
your mother,

no need more

This is completely false, you can get a very good gaming rig for $1000, and you can build a rig capable of easily playing the games mentioned in this thread for probably $650-$700. If you are upgrading existing parts it will be even cheaper.

To Each Man, Responsibility
ckmlb said:

Minimum requirements for Stranglehold coming this month on 360/PC and next for PS3:

2 Gigs of Ram

NAAAAAAAANIIIIII?!?!?!?!

True fighters don't wear socks.

ckmlb said:

Minimum requirements for Stranglehold coming this month on 360/PC and next for PS3:

Windows XP SP2 / VISTA (Games for Windows compliant)
Dual Core Processor
2 Gigs of Ram
Nvidia 7800 or higher / ATI x1300 or higher
Disk space: 15 gigs

The number one problem is that Vista is so resource hungry that it will kill gaming. I think it needs somewhere around 1 GB just to run Vista.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

robjoh said:
ckmlb said:

Minimum requirements for Stranglehold coming this month on 360/PC and next for PS3:

Windows XP SP2 / VISTA (Games for Windows compliant)
Dual Core Processor
2 Gigs of Ram
Nvidia 7800 or higher / ATI x1300 or higher
Disk space: 15 gigs

The number one problem is that Vista is so resource hungry that it will kill gaming. I think it needs somewhere around 1 GB just to run Vista.

Where did you hear this? Mine is currently using 480 MBs. I've never seen it push past 550. And yes, I strongly dislike many aspects of Vista. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">