By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's the Worst Story in a Game IYO?

Any Tom Clancy or Ace Combat game.

Anyone saying FFX - up yours! =P

Around the Network

Kings Bounty the Sega Genesis Version not the new version

100% Mexican Power

Of the games I actually paid attention to the story on, I'd say Ninja Gaiden 2. however, i was so disappointed in the game, I didn't finish it, so I don't know if i can really say that. So then Ninja Gaiden.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

chaospluto said:
ItsaMii said:
MGS 2, Chrono Cross, Persona 3, Tales of Legendia, Jeanne d`Arc, Legend of Legaia, Final Fantasy 7, Final Fight Streetwise.
If I had to chose only one, it would be Chrono Cross.

Legend of Legendia was great imho.  Definitely no where near the worst.

As for me:

Breath of Fire 5: Dragon Quarter

Yes, Tales of Legendia was great ... until the second part of the game where they decided to kill some good guys, ressurrect bad ones. turn your favorite characters into assholes and make the game a crappy soap opera (pointless drama and tragedy). BoF 5 was a piece of crap, I agree.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Well, DeguelloNWR, I hope that the experience wouldn't ruin you to eventually trying out Tactics Ogre and the Ogre Battle games. Those are actually quite exquisite in terms of stories, and it makes more sense when bad things happen thanks to the sheer scope of what's being dealt with in any given situation (if you kill a god, it is with an army, not with one man).

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
Imthelegend said:
KylieDog said:
MGS4.

Although I have never played the game, I cannot imagine that MGS4 has the worst storyline in gaming history. If you are being serious can you explain why it is so?

Because it has so any MGS series, as well as self contradictions, because a lot of answers to long running questions were complete cop outs, because it cannot even manage a timeline that doesn't contradict events.

Sure, loads of games do this, but if I'm playing Mario or Sonic and the story seems bollocks, I don't give a crap, it is expected.  With MGS series, as far fetched as some antics seem, they at least intertwine well and make sense in their own context.  MGS4 abandoned all that.  It also did not answer all questions as people keep claiming, and it raised plenty of new questions which it failed to answer.

Like when a good kid does something bad, parents are dissapointed, but if a rotten kid does something bad there is no disaapointment as it was expected.

whoa.... way to dodge the question.....  did u play MGS4?  i agree the phole patriots thing was way out there but the story was one of the best out there.... just because it involdes other MGS games into the story is bad? All MGS stories have a fafetched twist to them.... BEE man hellooooo..... and what questions were not answered exactly?   yeh new questions arose... i dont mind that since i dont want the series to die....

I'm just really tired of people claiming Final Fantasy Tactics is deep. By even short story and play standards, it's horrible.

When you get more educated, you can find pleasure in finding literary, mythical, psychological, and other links in any game story, which includes such personae non grata as Super Mario, Pokemon, etc. Mario has very deep psychoanalytic roots and Pokemon can really be seen as a treatise for environmentalism and protection of endangered species.

DeguelloNWR said:
zexen_lowe said:
Khuutra said:
Final Fantasy Tatics only has one ending?

Huh? Does it have more than one??

Still, it has one of the best endings I've ever seen, the fact that it's not "and they lived happily ever after" makes it so great, what happens to Olan, the scene with Delita and Ovelia (that everyone thinks he's a hero but even that doesn't bring him happiness), and even that you are not recognized as a hero but have to live as an outcast, all of that being told by a historian many years later trying to "uncover the truth" make it simply outstanding.

No way.  It's ramshackle, rushed and confusing.  It seems deeps when you are an adolescent, but when you grow up and read more books, you'll see the "happily ever after" ending is actually less common and see the cheap tricks authors and directors use to feign depth.

The problem with Olan is that he can STOP TIME.  How does he get captured and burned at the stake?  Please.  And isn't he like T.G. Cid's adopted son?  Wouldn't he try to save him, and considering how powerful he is (and everybiody else, really) wouldn't they succeed?  That breaks the suspension of disbelief, Strike One. 

The scene with Delita and Ovelia is not "earned."  It's just a cheap random plot device, much like an adolescent or college film student would do to make something so it would seem "meaningful" and "deep."  Strike Two. (A lot of media and entertainment cycles go through this "rebellion" against the perceived constraints of their medium, in this case "happy endings."  But this usually results in grindhouse-style anti-endings and "Bonanza'd" explanations that don't make sense.  FFTactics has both of these.)

Just the fact that everybody in the party just got off of killing a supernatural deity with extreme powers being "outcasts" is laughable as hell.  What, did they instantaneously forget all their spells and skills?  Suspension of disbelief wrecked again.  Strike Three.

Lastly, due to all this, the Bonanza'd ending, the impobability of everything that happens afterward, and the cheap plot events that feign depth, this game literally has no rersolution.  This is just structurally bad.  Strike Four, take your base and get out.

It's ok if you like it.   But just don't trick yourself into thinking it is "deep."  It might SEEM deep in comparison, but upon further inspection and compared to better scripts, even ones that are from simpler and less "serious" material like Mario and Luigi or Dragon Quest, it's just sub-mediocre at best.  The game is driven by it's AMAZING soundtrack, which makes the bad plot seem all that more infuriating.

I think that your problem is that you don't accept that in RPGs (and in most games in general) there are two different levels (the story level and the gameplay level) that are not interchangeble. Thus, what anyone can do in the gameplay level does not correlate to what that guy can do in the story level. You can criticize that distinction all you want, but if you don't accept it you're gonna suffer quite a bit of disappointments while playing.

To give some examples of the distinction between those levels, it's like saying "why don't they use a Phoenix Down in Aerith after Sephiroth slaughters her? I have tons of them!" in Final Fantasy VII or "How did they shoot me? Dante can evade all the bullets in the cutscenes!!" in Devil May Cry.

I'd rather take a game that, even using that "level distinction technique", can deliver a deep, complex and captivating story like FFT, Suikoden, Persona 3/4, FF VII/VIII/X, Chrono Cross, etc. a thousand times over a game that they can't even put together a story like Dragon Quest VIII

DeguelloNWR said:
I'm just really tired of people claiming Final Fantasy Tactics is deep. By even short story and play standards, it's horrible.

When you get more educated, you can find pleasure in finding literary, mythical, psychological, and other links in any game story, which includes such personae non grata as Super Mario, Pokemon, etc. Mario has very deep psychoanalytic roots and Pokemon can really be seen as a treatise for environmentalism and protection of endangered species.

I understand what you mean, as a student of English literature. More nuanced and subtle storytelling is a definite plus - it's why I tend to think of Final Fantasy XII as being the best game in the series and Final Fantasy VII as being one of the worst (though X is easily the worst, unless it improves dramatically).

That might be reading too deeply into Pokemon, though.

zexen_lowe said:

I think that your problem is that you don't accept that in RPGs (and in most games in general) there are two different levels (the story level and the gameplay level) that are not interchangeble. Thus, what anyone can do in the gameplay level does not correlate to what that guy can do in the story level. You can criticize that distinction all you want, but if you don't accept it you're gonna suffer quite a bit of disappointments while playing.

To give some examples of the distinction between those levels, it's like saying "why don't they use a Phoenix Down in Aerith after Sephiroth slaughters her? I have tons of them!" in Final Fantasy VII or "How did they shoot me? Dante can evade all the bullets in the cutscenes!!" in Devil May Cry.

I'd rather take a game that, even using that "level distinction technique", can deliver a deep, complex and captivating story like FFT, Suikoden, Persona 3/4, FF VII/VIII/X, Chrono Cross, etc. a thousand times over a game that they can't even put together a story like Dragon Quest VIII

There are many games where there is not a story and gameplay distinction. Several Final Fantasy games handle this marvelously, God of War does it, Ninja Gaiden does it, God Hand is great about it, Mario and Zelda and Kirby and the Mother series... I could go on!