By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Playstation 3: Where did you expect sales to be?

We've had a ton of Playstation 3 discussions lately, arguing poor sales, great sales, mediocre sales, bad software sales, and just complete Wii domination. Despite this, everyone is negative on the Playstation 3. It's had very poor software sales (except for December in the US), and 'only' sold 2m units worldwide thus far. However. Just where exactly did everyone expect a system that launches for $500-$600 with obvious launch # issues, expect the system to go by now? It's a question I ask each time someone argues that the PS3 is selling horribly. Everyone watermarks it as supposed to sell better than a PS2. How was that ever feasable at any time? The PS2 launched at half the price worldwide. 2 million units IS bad considering the Wii has done 5.2m in the same timeframe, and the 360 did somewhere near 3m. However, at that price, does it seem reasonable that the PS3 would magically be able to sell to most consumers? I don't see that being possible. The Wii selling so much could be primarily due to it's controller and hype. However, at $25-350 less than the PS3 and still $50-$150 less than a 360, is it any real suprise? So, let me ask this question to anyone willing to answer: 4 months after launch, where did you exactly envision the PS3 to be at in terms of US and Japaneese sales? Personally? It's where I think it ought to be: floundering due to an insane price. Consumers won't put up with a $500-$600 system, regardless of games. Despite Patchers incredible 360 predictions that materialized, I've seen that video game systems should cost in between $200-$300 at launch for that 'golden value' that most people will buy at after the launch, and when systems are available. I don't think Sony really thought that the PS3 would beat the Wii out of the gate - which is why they are still acting like a bunch of jerks. They think that it'll sell well in the future once its cheaper and has an actually decent library. So, how about you?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

mrstickball said: It's a question I ask each time someone argues that the PS3 is selling horribly. Everyone watermarks it as supposed to sell better than a PS2. How was that ever feasable at any time? The PS2 launched at half the price worldwide.
I bought a launch unit PS2 here in Australia on the day it launched. I think it originally retailed for about $800 - but I bought extra "warranty", which took the price to $1000AU. Which is the same price the PS3 is launching at. The PS2 was an amazing machine when it launched - light years ahead of anything else around (sorry DC!). It also came with a free demo disc, which had heaps of cool stuff on it. I never regretted buying my PS2. The PS3 just isn't amazing - in anyway. It doesn't excite or blow me away in any form. This to me, is why the PS2 significantly outsold the PS3 after launch. Its no better than a 360 (at the moment anyway) - and the 360 is much cheaper, has been around for a year, and has HEAPS of cool games (no Im not a 360 fanboy, nor do I own one). People are always interested in things that are new / revolutionary. The PS2 was when it launched - and the Wii has that this generation (hands down).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

They are pretty much the sold amount I had figured. I routinely claim wii > ps3, and thus far I have been correct. The point is simple, a $600 video game is just not going to fly off of shelves, especially when there is not 'killer' game pushing it. From looking at PS past, I don't see and exclusive killer app in the near future, which is only going to hurt Sony. Without that major push in Hardware sales, you're not going to get the exclusives you need to keep the hardware selling. However, I disagree with your comparison on PS2/3. PS2 as a hardware was as much of an upgrade from PS1 as PS3 is to PS2. PS2 gave much improved graphics, and DVD when DVD was the only format, but not in everyone's homes. PS3 is similar, improbed graphics and Bluray. Differences here are that PS2 had a good launch of games and came out year ahead of its rivals. That is where PS3 has faltered. Price is too high. Bluray, unlike DVD at the time, is not the only choice and is a much newer technology. No killer games yet. It launched 1 year after the closest comparable system. (Wii is in its own class really) If Sony ever catches up, it won't be for 3-4 years. 360 will have to do a lot wrong for that to happen.

In 2006 september i did think In USA 2m Japan 1.5M In mid Jan 2007 i did think USA 1.7M in the first week of march and 1.3 m in the first week of march and 1.2 m in the first week of april EU so a total of 1.5Japan 2M USA and 1.5M in EU end of April How ever cos of the slower Japan id say in the end of march first week of (april ) it will be 1M japan 1,6M USA and 1.4( Eu+ rest of the world) so 4 miljon sold and 5,5 shiped end of the first week of April i did a thred on www.loading.se a few months a go bes t vs wors case sales of ps3 (when the ps3 was uber hot in the USA/japn) and the numers was 800k in the first week of march in japan worst case

I expected that their sales would be remarkably poor because the majority of console owners buy their console after it costs less than $200; I noticed how many people said that they liked the XBox 360 at launch but thought it was way too expensive. Many analysts and Sony Fanboys argued that the PS3 was going to be one of the best selling consoles out of the gate; that everyone has a HDTV and was looking for a Blu-Ray player so $600 was a bargain.

Around the Network

I've been thinking since the PS3's launch date in Europe has been announced... along with sony's predicted 6million shipped by the end of march. I was guessing ~ 4 to 5 million PS3's sold at the end of march. It's looking like it will only hit 3.5-4million. But not that much lower than expected. I'm still saying 10-14million by the end of 2007. For a console with no games. It's doing REALLY well.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Just a minor correction. The 360 did not sell 3 million in the same timeframe. In fact, here is Microsofts financial report: Xbox 360 Hardware (Through March 31, 2006) North America - 1.8 million Europe - 1.1 million Other - 0.3 million Worldwide - 3.2 million This is based on shipments, mind you. So Nintendo SOLD 5.2 million in about 3.5 months. Microsoft SHIPPED 3.2 million 360s in 4.5 months. Just sayin'.

To me, its basically meeting my expectations. PS3 has some appeal in three markets. 360 has some in two market...account for Sony's stronger brand, and sales for Sony will be at European 360 levels in Japan. Once it is out in all three markets, I think most months will break down like this: PS3 70-130k Japan/month 200-250k Americas/month 150k-200k Europe/month 360 10-20k Japan/month 250-300k Americas/month 175-225k Europe/month Wii 320k-400k Japan/month 350k-500k Americas/month 200k-300k Europe/month Essentially, Sony could catch up to Microsoft in 3.5 years or so (at best) thanks to Japan if rates continued as they are (they won't) I figured Sony at 2.25 to 3.25 million PS3's sold by April 1, 2007 based on the rates provided above (assuming Europe got a shipment of 4 months for launch)

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

TheSource said: To me, its basically meeting my expectations. PS3 has some appeal in three markets. 360 has some in two market...account for Sony's stronger brand, and sales for Sony will be at European 360 levels in Japan. Once it is out in all three markets, I think most months will break down like this: PS3 70-13k Japan/month 200-250k Americas/month 150k-200k Europe/month 360 10-Japan/month 250k-300k Americas/month 175k-225k Europe/month Wii
What timeframe is that? edit2: ahh, up untill now. Ok :p EDIT: I see 2007 being a REALLY bumpy year for sony. I'd say some months as low as 200,000 and some as high as 400,000.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad said: For a console with no games. It's doing REALLY well.
LOL NO. It is doing terrible. I mean, even rich kids of your type buy a 360 or a Wii, they don't spend money on a system that you can have pity on.