By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Playstation 3: Where did you expect sales to be?

This frustrates me as many people have been changing their tune alot over the last 4 months. Everyone now keeps saying, "come on for a 600 dollar system it's selling really well". But 4 months ago, people weren't going in with that mentality, they were saying, "it may be 600 bucks but look what your getting!!! It might be expensive but when they see this they'll part with their money." And let's face it everyon thought that at Sony. Do you really think Sony sat at a meeting and said, "Hey instead of creating another ps2 like success, lets create a super expensive console where we still take a loss on the system and only sell half as many units! It'll be great, we'll make less money, we'll shrink our userbase, and we'll hand our lead in the console war over to our competitors!" No they weren't saying that. You have to remember this isn't a different industry, yeah car companies may sell less of more expensive models, but those models have a wider profit margin, so it's worth it. Sony isn't making extra money off sales of this luxury system, Sony is losing money, there for the only numbers that matter are the userbase, the bigger the userbase the bigger the game sales, the bigger the games sales the bigger the profits. So in this industry there is no selling well FOR a 600 dollar system, because the high end market isn't expanding their profit margin. If they were sure consumers wouldn't buy into a 600 dollar system they wouldn't have sold one, They were saying this is a risk but were betting in the end this is what people will put their money on. And as big as a risk a 600 dollar system is I think Nintendo's Wii was a bigger one. Not to mention ps2 completely killed all their competition last generation, so I really don't think anyone expected Nintendo's system to be outselling the ps3 2 to 1. And if you really think the industry expected this kind of situtation explain why so many analysts have been changing their predictions about the game market, why so many 3rd parties have completely changed their song and dance about Wii support. No one thought four months ago ps3 would be this far behind. Nonetheless it is early and a few months can change alot of things. for now one week at a time, and next week we'll see just how far Gundam can push the ps3's userbase.

Around the Network

I'd like to see how the PS3 fares next week in America. That's my question. EDIT: I wonder how many people were waiting for the PS3+gundam bundle?

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

NPD tracking for February doesn't even end until March 3 (its that damn leap week) for America Kwaad. You gotta wait until the 15th of March for official February data.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Kwaad said: I'd like to see how the PS3 fares next week in America. That's my question. EDIT: I wonder how many people were waiting for the PS3+gundam bundle?
count me out from the list of waiting people.

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

TheSource said: NPD tracking for February doesn't even end until March 3 (its that damn leap week) for America Kwaad. You gotta wait until the 15th of March for official February data.
I'm meaning like. On site. Day one. "HOLY CRAP PS3 IS SELLING OUT EVERYWHERE. MOTORSTORM CANT BE FOUND!!!" Or "I've been at work now since 8AM when we opened, and we havent sold a single PS3 or a copy of Motorstorm."

Around the Network

I'm guessing that it will be somewhere in between. PS3 owners will be buying up the copies of Motorstorm no doubt, it should do very well for the system. I doubt there will be a shortage of consoles however. It should be an interesting week either way.

baka said: I'm guessing that it will be somewhere in between. PS3 owners will be buying up the copies of Motorstorm no doubt, it should do very well for the system. I doubt there will be a shortage of consoles however. It should be an interesting week either way.
I'm thinking the same thing. But there are ALOT of PS3's on shelves. I'm curious how many of them will be moveing in the next 2-3 weeks... itrackr is good for something I guess... :P

In total numbers. Double the output you have today around 4. But most important double the weekly sales in Japan, 20k isn't good enough when the main competition sells 70k.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

robjoh said: In total numbers. Double the output you have today around 4. But most important double the weekly sales in Japan, 20k isn't good enough when the main competition sells 70k.
Wow... that made no sense... :P

Kwaad said: robjoh said: In total numbers. Double the output you have today around 4. But most important double the weekly sales in Japan, 20k isn't good enough when the main competition sells 70k. Wow... that made no sense... :P
Bad english? (I wouldn't be surprised I am a dyslectic) Well the question was: Where did you expect sales to be? Around 4 millions. Now where do see the main problem: weekly sales in Japan, which has been really bad after the holidays.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!