By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Playstation network now better than the Xbox live?

Batman...WTF? said:
Xbox Live IMO has two downsides. Price. And those foul mouthed 10 year olds on Halo. Shut up, no cares about he cheated, call me when you're voice doesn't bring Spongebob and Mickey Mouse swearing at the same time.

Unfortunately, they exist on the PS3 as well.  And the PS3 lacks the universal mute function all 360 games have.  So in a 360 game like Halo 3, I can mute the annoying 10 year old, but on PSN, I must either turn off my mic or suffer.

Around the Network

I have yet to try home myself but seeing as how it's already making Sony money(and more so than the video service in it's start up weeks) I wouldn't consider it a failure.

I have heard nothing but positive things about home from the people who i know who use it( a larger number of individuals than i would have thought). I think free MMORPG with no point is actually the perfect way to get females and casuals into online gaming which is why i will probably be trying it soon.

I don't online game because I don't wanna sign in and be shot in the face a hundred times until i get better and i haven't many friends with a PS3. Not my idea of fun. However going around looking at things that interest me and talking to people about it is. It's the same things as going to a bar to watch the game with others. Or a museum to discuss art. Since most PS3 owners probably don't have a social instinct between them or non nerd friends I can understand why they despise Home with a passion. For them it is pointless and useless. For those less familiar with online gaming it can create a real sense of community which most online games don't offer. As well as the easy ability to build that community since most gamers just have a community of friends they game with before even getting online.

This comes from the guy who thinks buzz and singstar are some of sony's best titles because i can get real people who aren't into videogames playing with me and having fun. I had my family gathered around the game machine laughing and playing this christmas, something i thought wasn't possible (except with a wii).

nightsurge said:
Batman...WTF? said:
Xbox Live IMO has two downsides. Price. And those foul mouthed 10 year olds on Halo. Shut up, no cares about he cheated, call me when you're voice doesn't bring Spongebob and Mickey Mouse swearing at the same time.

Unfortunately, they exist on the PS3 as well.  And the PS3 lacks the universal mute function all 360 games have.  So in a 360 game like Halo 3, I can mute the annoying 10 year old, but on PSN, I must either turn off my mic or suffer.

u will be surprised but most of the kids i play online( MGO, LBP, R2) were nice

and mute exist for mentioned games... it exist for all games even home.

Very few PS1 games are available through PSN atleast in the States. I think both are pretty close. In game XMB has helped alot. Live does have the edge because of demoes and a better downlading procedure for games. The PS3 browser is now a good tool for watching video off the internet. Nothing much else off the internet though.

Go Team Venture! I still don't get the Wii, PS Move,  and Kinect.

i haven't gotten to much time with live but wen this online stuff started with consoles i only cared about hardware updates, free demos, internet browser not much of a online gamer but i get that free also with the psn

IDK wat Live has that psn doesn't but i think psn is catching up to it

Play Me

Around the Network
twesterm said:

Right now Home is in fact an embarrassment.  It was rushed out the door very quickly (well, very early) and now the vast majority of people that don't have fanboy blinders on think it's crap.  True, it has potential but they've already let everyone play the bad so there's little incentive to come back for the good.

Why do people presume an half-baked idea that no one knows how to implement, which was delayed awhile, and apparently doesn't show any compelling reason to be around at the moment, was "rushed out the door very quickly"?  Home was announced too soon, and not coded properly.  Give it another 5 years without being up, and it would still not be ready.  Sony's hope for Home is enough people hang on that companies will produce content for it.

Again, I think "rushed out the door" is a poor description for Home.  Announced too soon, to the extent that Microsoft was able to produce a counter to it is one thing.  But the thing wasn't rushed.  

richardhutnik said:
twesterm said:

Right now Home is in fact an embarrassment.  It was rushed out the door very quickly (well, very early) and now the vast majority of people that don't have fanboy blinders on think it's crap.  True, it has potential but they've already let everyone play the bad so there's little incentive to come back for the good.

Why do people presume an half-baked idea that no one knows how to implement, which was delayed awhile, and apparently doesn't show any compelling reason to be around at the moment, was "rushed out the door very quickly"?  Home was announced too soon, and not coded properly.  Give it another 5 years without being up, and it would still not be ready.  Sony's hope for Home is enough people hang on that companies will produce content for it.

Again, I think "rushed out the door" is a poor description for Home.  Announced too soon, to the extent that Microsoft was able to produce a counter to it is one thing.  But the thing wasn't rushed.  

By rushed out the door I mean released before it was ready to fit in with a deadline.  Home is exactly that.

Nope, just because home exists. (I know you could ignore it, but doesn't change the fact that it still exists.)

PSN isn't bad at all....just the thought of Home pisses me off.

twesterm said:
richardhutnik said:
twesterm said:

By rushed out the door I mean released before it was ready to fit in with a deadline.  Home is exactly that.

No home is just another thing I got for free as a reward for going with PS3 over 360. I'll just add that to my bag of goodies, let's see what we have in here: wi-fi adapter, bluray player, free online gaming, battery packs recharging oh and look! Home!

Jo21 said:

- thats not true, i play resistance 2 and lbp daily and no lag in anything, both use the PSN for it servers and have a deep integration with them.

When did they fix lag wih LBP?  I bought it shortly after it hit the shelves and found the lag made it unplayable.  I did blungle through the last level with some players and beat it (with NASTY lag) but found every other time it had been trash.  I hadn't tried online in a month or so, so maybe they patched it.

What annoys me about LBP is the Tetris inspired game that was on it got yanked.