By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Playstation network now better than the Xbox live?

To say PSN is better because its free is like saying free socialized healthcare is better than privatized healthcare. Taking something thats free over quality (Especially something that doesn't cost much for a year).

Around the Network
Neoraf said:

I own both systems, and no, PSN isn't better than Xbox Live.

NXE is far more useful.

Imo, PSN is way behind Xbox Live.

• Bland design.
  • No voice chat.
  • No party mode.
  • Home is useless and boring.
  • Life with Playstation, tried one time... enough.
  • Internet Browser, pain in the ass.
  • Trophies are not as addictive as Achievements.
  • Total online integration is nowhere near Xbox Live (Avatars in dashboard, Live Messenger, Windows Media Center)
  • No demos available for EVERY PSN game (XBLA does).
  • XBLA collection is A LOT BIGGER than PSN library.
  • No Netflix support.
  • No Community games (btw, you gotta try BLOW, awesome game!).
  • No PS1 or PS2 titles available trough PSN (Xbox originals available on Xbox Live).

I would pay 100$ each year for Xbox Live. 4$ per month is nothing.

Online service = Microsoft.
Blu-Ray Player = Sony.

That's how it works at home.

but the PSN have voice chat not only voice chat but you can use a webcam >_>

Jo21 said:
Neoraf said:

I own both systems, and no, PSN isn't better than Xbox Live.

NXE is far more useful.

Imo, PSN is way behind Xbox Live.

• Bland design.
  • No voice chat.
  • No party mode.
  • Home is useless and boring.
  • Life with Playstation, tried one time... enough.
  • Internet Browser, pain in the ass.
  • Trophies are not as addictive as Achievements.
  • Total online integration is nowhere near Xbox Live (Avatars in dashboard, Live Messenger, Windows Media Center)
  • No demos available for EVERY PSN game (XBLA does).
  • XBLA collection is A LOT BIGGER than PSN library.
  • No Netflix support.
  • No Community games (btw, you gotta try BLOW, awesome game!).
  • No PS1 or PS2 titles available trough PSN (Xbox originals available on Xbox Live).

I would pay 100$ each year for Xbox Live. 4$ per month is nothing.

Online service = Microsoft.
Blu-Ray Player = Sony.

That's how it works at home.

but the PSN have voice chat not only voice chat but you can use a webcam >_>

But only if you aren't in a game.  Xbox 360 can do video chat as well.  The good thing with the 360 and Xbox Live is you can voice chat while playing different games and doing everything else.

I hope PSN isnt bloody better now that ive gone and switched sodding sides!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

nightsurge said:
MikeB said:

@ HeroeDeLeyenda

Although it has been a while since I last personally downloaded Live content, I haven't heard of anything being offered similar to games like Warhawk, Super Stardust HD and WipeOut HD. I prefer quality over quantity (I certainly make a selection and try to avoid shovelware).

Netflix may be nice additional option for some people, I have never used this or similar services on my PC or on any other device, I rather want to own a must have movie though or if it's not a must have go next door to the rental service. I heard about a lot of quality related complaints though, but at optimal quality the specs are still a far cry from what Blu-Ray provides.

I may make use of a similar services on the PS3 in the future, but only as a non-crucial addition option.

Well for starters, Warhawk is a full release title, which is also available via PSN.  Like SOCOM.  WipeOut HD and Super Stardust HD are just two remakes.  Try Castle Crashers, Braid, Geometry Wars, Worms, Banjo Kazooie, DOOM, Metal Arms, Duke Nukem, etc.  I prefer quality AND quantity, Mike, via Xbox Live.

As far as Netflix, I have heard 0 complaints about quality.  The HD streaming service is great and for my purposes it is much cheaper than going to the movie rental.  I still buy Blu-Ray movies occasionally, but now that I have Netflix, the ones that I would normally rent for $5 a pop, I get included with all my other TV shows and movies for one very small price of $9 a month.  For the price of Netflix streaming in SD & HD, I would only be able to rent 3 movies per month at a rental store or download 3 TV show episodes via PSN.

Monster eden, flow, echochrome, suikoden!, castlevaina: symphony of night, pain, etc etc

yess psn does have quality and quantity too and with a growing Ps1 catalogue :)

@nightsurge, but it got it that was my point, and likely many In game XMB are going to expand with the time.

Around the Network

you have to compare what you are getting for what price. The XBOX LIVE silver is free so this is the fairest comparison to the psn.

With the free silver account you can not play online, so the psn wins. In terms of value for money

Jo21 said:
nightsurge said:
MikeB said:

@ HeroeDeLeyenda

Although it has been a while since I last personally downloaded Live content, I haven't heard of anything being offered similar to games like Warhawk, Super Stardust HD and WipeOut HD. I prefer quality over quantity (I certainly make a selection and try to avoid shovelware).

Netflix may be nice additional option for some people, I have never used this or similar services on my PC or on any other device, I rather want to own a must have movie though or if it's not a must have go next door to the rental service. I heard about a lot of quality related complaints though, but at optimal quality the specs are still a far cry from what Blu-Ray provides.

I may make use of a similar services on the PS3 in the future, but only as a non-crucial addition option.

Well for starters, Warhawk is a full release title, which is also available via PSN.  Like SOCOM.  WipeOut HD and Super Stardust HD are just two remakes.  Try Castle Crashers, Braid, Geometry Wars, Worms, Banjo Kazooie, DOOM, Metal Arms, Duke Nukem, etc.  I prefer quality AND quantity, Mike, via Xbox Live.

As far as Netflix, I have heard 0 complaints about quality.  The HD streaming service is great and for my purposes it is much cheaper than going to the movie rental.  I still buy Blu-Ray movies occasionally, but now that I have Netflix, the ones that I would normally rent for $5 a pop, I get included with all my other TV shows and movies for one very small price of $9 a month.  For the price of Netflix streaming in SD & HD, I would only be able to rent 3 movies per month at a rental store or download 3 TV show episodes via PSN.

Monster eden, flow, echochrome, suikoden!, castlevaina: symphony of night, pain, etc etc

yess psn does have quality and quantity too and with a growing Ps1 catalogue :)

@nightsurge, but it got it that was my point, and likely many In game XMB are going to expand with the time.

We already knew the PS3 had voice chat.  We were saying the 360s is better for my stated reasons.  That is all.  Now, as far as the PSN and XBL content, XBL has more content, including a large amount of original Xbox titles.  Castlevania is also on XBLA.  I do wish they would make a game like Pixel Junk Monsters or just some good Tower Defense game, because that is my favorite PSN title so far and I would love some from XBLA.

I always thought so. And home rocks!

It is better to die on one's feet

then live on one's knees

@ nightsurge

Super Stardust HD is far more than just a remake, believe me I owned the Amiga originals. There are lots of great exclusive PSN games.

Doom and Duke Nukem are freeware oldies. Banjo Kazooie is good, a remake or running under emulation like available PS1 games? Geometry Wars is IMO a lot less impressive and fun than Super Stardust HD, but I am ranked around 300ish out of over 250,000 highscores, so I am rather hardcore with the game.

As far as Netflix, I have heard 0 complaints about quality.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Netflix+XBox+360+%22bad+quality%22&btnG=Search

Sure it's still early days, it may improve.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

iyzy said:
you have to compare what you are getting for what price. The XBOX LIVE silver is free so this is the fairest comparison to the psn.

With the free silver account you can not play online, so the psn wins. In my opinion

Oh really?  So standard antenna TV stations are better than Cable or Satelite now?  Man, I need to cancel my FiOS!!!  Ok maybe a bit of a stretch example, but it gets the point accross.  Xbox Live silver really isn't much of a service, Xbox Live Gold is the actual Xbox Live service everyone talks about, so it should be compared to the PSN, not silver.

//failed logic, iyzy.  Too many other factors to take into consideration.