By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Playstation network now better than the Xbox live?

MikeB said:
Due to Home I can't use my PS3 when I want to anymore...

My girlfriend appears to be addicted to Home already! LOL

I guess I need a second PS3 soon.

What exactly does she do all the time on Home?  Chat with all the boys and feel really popular? Is she that in to virtual pool, bowling, and small little arcade games?  Gosh, Mike, don't let her near the internet or she'll never stop!

Around the Network

@ nightsurge

Grow up dude, she likes the social aspect (maybe you are just too anti-social to understand?). PAL Home isn't nearly as bad as the US version, people in general seem to behave a lot better. I recommend creating a PAL account.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:

@ nightsurge

Grow up dude, she likes the social aspect (maybe you are just too anti-social to understand?). PAL Home isn't nearly as bad as the US version, people in general seem to behave a lot better. I recommend creating a PAL account.

Hahaha, sorry I couldn't resist.  Perhaps PAL Home is a bit less perverted and immature... still, what social aspects are there to Home that can't be done easier and better somewhere else.  Again I say, don't let her near the internet or she'll be much more addicted given all the much better content and in larger amounts without the PS Home hassle.

Still, my main gripe with Home was never the bad behavior.  Simply the booooooorrrrriiiiiinnnnggg experience.  It's very hard to be social when only 1 in 10 people I find have mics and text talking is very slow and tedious.

@ nightsurge

Right now she's bowling with some girls, one of the girls is from Groningen, where we live.

It's much more expressive and fun than just chatting in a chat room (doesn't appeal to her as much, she does use Orkut but that doesn't provide a realtime experience). I can understand I've played quite a few games of chess with various people. Of course more content is needed and there's room for improvements, but the core experience and potential is readily visible.

It's easy to meet new and interesting people, I already added some new friends to my friends list through home. I am looking forward to the game rooms in particular and expansions like Namco (Pacman, Xevious, Galaga, etc) arcade games and the Red Bull Air Challenge.

I hope Sony is going to do live coverage from events through Home, that and many other uses could be cool as well.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

This argument is old and dumb.....hold on...

I am deciding which game of the Tuesday night NBA schedule I would like to watch on my PS3 thru NBA League Pass Broadband.....

Just Kidding, I don't have to chose I can watch 3 at the same time.

BTW you don't need Linux to watch Netflix on your PS3 and you don't need a Gold Sub either, just get Play On from Media Mall

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Stephen Henry Roberts

Around the Network

I also have both PSN and LIVE, there is a lot more content on live
PSN= 7Eleven
LIVE= Walmart

"I envy you. You North Americans are very lucky. You are fighting the most important fight of all- you live in the heart of the beast." 

Ernesto "Che" Guevara.

@ HeroeDeLeyenda

Although it has been a while since I last personally downloaded Live content, I haven't heard of anything being offered similar to games like Warhawk, Super Stardust HD and WipeOut HD. I prefer quality over quantity (I certainly make a selection and try to avoid shovelware).

Netflix may be nice additional option for some people, I have never used this or similar services on my PC or on any other device, I rather want to own a must have movie though or if it's not a must have go next door to the rental service. I heard about a lot of quality related complaints though, but at optimal quality the specs are still a far cry from what Blu-Ray provides.

I may make use of a similar services on the PS3 in the future, but only as a non-crucial addition option.

PS3 vs 360 sales

xbox live ftw

I own both systems, and no, PSN isn't better than Xbox Live.

NXE is far more useful.

Imo, PSN is way behind Xbox Live.

• Bland design.
  • No voice chat.
  • No party mode.
  • Home is useless and boring.
  • Life with Playstation, tried one time... enough.
  • Internet Browser, pain in the ass.
  • Trophies are not as addictive as Achievements.
  • Total online integration is nowhere near Xbox Live (Avatars in dashboard, Live Messenger, Windows Media Center)
  • No demos available for EVERY PSN game (XBLA does).
  • XBLA collection is A LOT BIGGER than PSN library.
  • No Netflix support.
  • No Community games (btw, you gotta try BLOW, awesome game!).
  • No PS1 or PS2 titles available trough PSN (Xbox originals available on Xbox Live).

I would pay 100$ each year for Xbox Live. 4$ per month is nothing.

Online service = Microsoft.
Blu-Ray Player = Sony.

That's how it works at home.

My Gaming Setup

MikeB said:

@ HeroeDeLeyenda

Although it has been a while since I last personally downloaded Live content, I haven't heard of anything being offered similar to games like Warhawk, Super Stardust HD and WipeOut HD. I prefer quality over quantity (I certainly make a selection and try to avoid shovelware).

Netflix may be nice additional option for some people, I have never used this or similar services on my PC or on any other device, I rather want to own a must have movie though or if it's not a must have go next door to the rental service. I heard about a lot of quality related complaints though, but at optimal quality the specs are still a far cry from what Blu-Ray provides.

I may make use of a similar services on the PS3 in the future, but only as a non-crucial addition option.

Well for starters, Warhawk is a full release title, which is also available via PSN.  Like SOCOM.  WipeOut HD and Super Stardust HD are just two remakes.  Try Castle Crashers, Braid, Geometry Wars, Worms, Banjo Kazooie, DOOM, Metal Arms, Duke Nukem, etc.  I prefer quality AND quantity, Mike, via Xbox Live.

As far as Netflix, I have heard 0 complaints about quality.  The HD streaming service is great and for my purposes it is much cheaper than going to the movie rental.  I still buy Blu-Ray movies occasionally, but now that I have Netflix, the ones that I would normally rent for $5 a pop, I get included with all my other TV shows and movies for one very small price of $9 a month.  For the price of Netflix streaming in SD & HD, I would only be able to rent 3 movies per month at a rental store or download 3 TV show episodes via PSN.