By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - RPG Genre Discussion Thread

numonex said:
WRPGs>>>JRPGs

Seconded.

Currently playing: Wii Fit / The Sims 3

Try  PrizeRebel , it could make you  rich ! I have  $15.80 USD  so far. I  love  BengaBenga' Most Wante lists.
$                     $  $  $                         

Around the Network

I enjoyed Final Fantasy XII's battle system more than pretty much any other in RPGs.

Except for maybe Ogre Battle.

So is this a full-on RPG thread or are we limiting ourselves to JRPGs here?

Any RPG with a battle system that favours massive HP and high damage weapons over character skill is a very low battle system. This unfortunetly lumps a majority of JRPG together since many of them tend to have HP in the thousands. Why thousands? Why not 10s or 100s? does it have to do with the decimal point of the figurite multipler/division math that JRPGs tend to use.

I can't stand D&D. However D20 does make a better combat system in a computer game than any FF, DQ.... It still suffers from burst play though.

Any system that let's you do large healing in combat makes the combat lack luster. It removes tension and almost garuntees success. Winning becomes more about how much you can heal than play smart. Even a stupid player can manage to heal and keep fighting.

For me the best JRPG combat was TWEWY. It can be short, brutal. HP recovery was uncommon unless it was an epic fight. HP restoration was limited. Combat pacing was superb. it was fast.

For WRPG while I found Fallout 1 & 2 too long. it was probably one of the better combat systems out there. Lethal, funny, brutal.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Rondo of Swords battle system is interesting.
However, it's the first of its kind so there are a lot of refines needed.

Work your magic, Atlus. Kiss Make it better!

The top 12 RPGs Ive played in no particular order

Final Fantasy VI: The pinnacle of the FF series. And also the best ensemble of characters.
Dragon Quest VIII: Stunning gaming world and great character stories/ development.
7th Saga: RPG like no other. Unforgivingly difficult but cool characters and freedom to swap partner.
Phantasy Star II: One of the best. Great story and first RPG series to properly do the futuristic setting.
Secret of Mana: This game had the best RPG music ever. Plus you could play 3 players at once with the SNES multitap.
Chrono Trigger: Another great story with sweet combo attacks and wicked time travel story.
Final Fantasy I: The real godfather of RPGs. Super difficult but fun, expansive and engaging.
Ogre Battle March of the Black Queen: Wonderful combat system and mature story. Also the ability to be good or evil with alternative endings.
Final Fantasy IX: Brought back the old school feel to the FF series, and a meaty game with satisfying story.
Final Fantasy Tactics: Solid story, strategy, customization. The three cornerstones of a strategy game in one CD.
Ogre Tactics: The only strategy game to parallel the FF Tactics feels and battle system.
Dragon Quest IV: Another good story with memorable characters and great bad guy.

These games are old quite old. I still play new RPGs but it just seems like the formula is overdone and has the developers come up with some aspects too out there or too unoriginal. Its a hard genre to build upon. Just cant compare to the classics.

Around the Network

@khuutra u can talk about any rpg game, it isnt about just jrpg's its about rpg's in general. my next rpg game's i am buying is star ocean 4 and white knight chronicles.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

I'm looking into getting Lost Odyssey and Dragon Quest IV. I have heard good things about both.

I am currently playing Dragon Warrior. It's quite the charmer.

@khuutra, get lost odyssey it has the best story ever for rpg, nice battle system,lots of stuff u can do,the mortal to immortal link to learn abilites is a nice way to learn new stuff and the dlc is good too, i highly recommend the game.

Cool then. I'll keep an eye out for a copy and pick it up when I have the chance.

@khuutra its also $39.99 new and maybe u can find a deal at a store like at toys'r'us where they lately are having buy a game at $29.99 and u get a 2nd one $20.00 off, so keep your eyes peeled at deals like this.