By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - RPG Genre Discussion Thread

Anyone hear of that Conception 2 game that's coming out next month? Looks really weird, but it is an Atlus Vita game, so I may get it...

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network

@vanceIX, its a quirky game but i like it alot.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:
@vanceIX, its a quirky game but i like it alot.

Alright, I'll pre-order it then. So many great JRPGs this year, my wallet is feeling the pain lol

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

VanceIX said:
the2real4mafol said:
I'm not someone who normally plays RPG's, well not proper RPG's anyway. I played games like Borderlands and Deus Ex: Human Revolution which have RPG elements. But anyway, what RPG game or series would you recommend to someone who doesn't normally play this genre? I would like to give them a go but am unsure what is good to get into for an RPG noob like me

Well, I would definitely try Bravely Default, if you have a 3DS. Best Final Fantasy to come out in years, and people look at Final Fantasy as kind of the "defining" JRPG. If you don't like turn-based, there's action-RPGs like Skyrim (people argue on whether or not it's an RPG, I consider it to be one). Fire Emblem Awakening is also an amazing game (once again, on 3DS). If you happen to have a Wii lying aroung, Xenoblade Chronicles was good, and if you have a PS3 I would look into getting the Tales of Symphonia collection that's coming out, those were some great games. If you have a 360, The Lasy Odyssey is also quite nice. The Star Ocean series is also a pretty good action JRPG collection, with awesome stories and characters to boot. There's just so many out there, I'm sure you'll find something that you like :)

I've heard good things about that. I should try the demo first. Also thanks for pointing this out but i'm glad the RPG world goes far beyond Final Fantasy. I'll have to look out for these. Personally, I think I would enjoy action RPG's more. Hopefully, Valkryia Chronicles or Tales series is cheap now if I can find it.  

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:
@the2real4mafol,
ps1 : final fantasy 8
ps2 : final fantasy 10
ps3 : ni no kuna wrath of the white witch
360 : lost odyssey, tales of vesperia
wii : xenoblade
3ds : bravery default
vita : y's memories of celetral tree

any of those games , would be good starters and would also show why we in here love the genre so damn much :)

Thanks for the help :)

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network

With the recent turn of events regarding robotechheaven, I'd hate to see this thread disappear into VGC-hell. So, i'm gonna post here as to what current RPG i'm playing and I'm hoping more people will do the same.

We need this historic VGC thread to be kept alive.

As for me, i'm currently replaying Diablo 2: LoD as a new Zealadin. Since my WW Barb found a Paladin Hellfire Torch, I decided to go back to my original D2 build. Currently at level 58 (just 2 more levels till annihilus) on Act II Nightmare, playing at Players 7 modifier.

Also waiting to get my PS3 back so I can go back to Dark Souls 2 and Ni No Kuni. What about you guys?

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

lestatdark said:
With the recent turn of events regarding robotechheaven, I'd hate to see this thread disappear into VGC-hell. So, i'm gonna post here as to what current RPG i'm playing and I'm hoping more people will do the same.

As for me, i'm currently replaying Diablo 2: LoD as a new Zealadin. Since my WW Barb found a Paladin Hellfire Torch, I decided to go back to my original D2 build. Currently at level 58 (just 2 more levels till annihilus) on Act II Nightmare, playing at Players 7 modifier.

Also waiting to get my PS3 back so I can go back to Dark Souls 2 and Ni No Kuni. What about you guys?

http://www.gamrreview.com/news/91353/dark-souls-mod-god-applauds-dark-souls-ii-pc-port/

Wright said:
lestatdark said:

http://www.gamrreview.com/news/91353/dark-souls-mod-god-applauds-dark-souls-ii-pc-port/

Durante needs to get into mod-working mode on DS2 asap . He's gonna bring us all that glorious lightning from the pre-builds

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

I have finally entered this dark place.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

lestatdark said:
Wright said:

Durante needs to get into mod-working mode on DS2 asap . He's gonna bring us all that glorious lightning from the pre-builds

I didn't know about the guy, but apparently he also fixed Deadly Premonition for PC, so he has earned my respect.