By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - RPG Genre Discussion Thread

@Ssenkah .so you got the junpei cap cool you know you have to wear it every time you play P3P.

Torchlight ? played it could never understand all the people giving it 9's and even 10's i thought it was an ok dungeon crawler that started out good but soon got average

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
Ssenkahdavic said:

@leasta: Baal runs! nooooooooo!  good god I did way to many of those :)  For some reason, I keep playing Torchlight (with mods) instead of reinstalling D2 when I need my good ol' fix.  

Ooo, picked up P3P today too!  Anyone else get it today?  Been wearing my silly hat all day too :)

I'm playing D2 with the Plugy mod. It basically gives you the same ladder abilities (über tristam, pandemonium event, ladder runewords and equipment) but for SP as well. Plus an enhanced Character statistics plus extended chest, which are all awesome. 

I'm probably getting P3P next month, since I can only buy one more game this month and DQIX is a priority to me

Ill have to go check out the Plugy mod.  It has been well over 2 years since I played D2 (did some MP with friends of mine).  

I gotcha on DQIX over P3P.  I think it was your third right? Favorite Franchise?  That thread really made me think hard on gaming.  After all that thought, there was no doubt in my mind that SMT (all of them including Personas) are my second favorite franchise ( I tried VERY hard to keep it to not dead franchises.  Only included Homeworld cause Ritual has said they want to make another game.  That and I absolutely LOVE HOMEWORLD 1/2 and the expansion).  

Besides, after P3P I am playing Sands of Destruction on my DS.  I am looking forward to comparing the game with the Anime.

@Lestat ,about diablo 2 funny that i have been thinking for the last month about reinstalling it and getting into it again and so it seems I'm not alone

@Mjk45: I agree.  Torchlight in and of itself is just alright, but with Mods it is amazing.  I have the silly hat on right now actually :)  

Ssenkahdavic said:
lestatdark said:
Ssenkahdavic said:

@leasta: Baal runs! nooooooooo!  good god I did way to many of those :)  For some reason, I keep playing Torchlight (with mods) instead of reinstalling D2 when I need my good ol' fix.  

Ooo, picked up P3P today too!  Anyone else get it today?  Been wearing my silly hat all day too :)

I'm playing D2 with the Plugy mod. It basically gives you the same ladder abilities (über tristam, pandemonium event, ladder runewords and equipment) but for SP as well. Plus an enhanced Character statistics plus extended chest, which are all awesome. 

I'm probably getting P3P next month, since I can only buy one more game this month and DQIX is a priority to me

Ill have to go check out the Plugy mod.  It has been well over 2 years since I played D2 (did some MP with friends of mine).  

I gotcha on DQIX over P3P.  I think it was your third right? Favorite Franchise?  That thread really made me think hard on gaming.  After all that thought, there was no doubt in my mind that SMT (all of them including Personas) are my second favorite franchise ( I tried VERY hard to keep it to not dead franchises.  Only included Homeworld cause Ritual has said they want to make another game.  That and I absolutely LOVE HOMEWORLD 1/2 and the expansion).  

Besides, after P3P I am playing Sands of Destruction on my DS.  I am looking forward to comparing the game with the Anime.

If both you and mjk45 decide on reinstalling D2 (and I can get a good internet connection again), maybe we can all do a ladder run. Has been a while since I done one, last one probably was on 1.11.

Yup, Dragon Quest is my overall third favourite franchise. There isn't a single game in the franchise that has dissapointed me yet (from the ones i've played, including spin-offs). Probably it out-edged SMT by a bit, because of Dragon Quest V, which to me has the best story ever created in a JRPG. 

How far are you on sands of destruction? I haven't played it the past few days because I got hooked on Yu Gi Oh 5D's 2009 (it gave me tons of ideas to update my RL Dragon Deck).

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
Ssenkahdavic said:
lestatdark said:
Ssenkahdavic said:

If both you and mjk45 decide on reinstalling D2 (and I can get a good internet connection again), maybe we can all do a ladder run. Has been a while since I done one, last one probably was on 1.11.

Yup, Dragon Quest is my overall third favourite franchise. There isn't a single game in the franchise that has dissapointed me yet (from the ones i've played, including spin-offs). Probably it out-edged SMT by a bit, because of Dragon Quest V, which to me has the best story ever created in a JRPG. 

How far are you on sands of destruction? I haven't played it the past few days because I got hooked on Yu Gi Oh 5D's 2009 (it gave me tons of ideas to update my RL Dragon Deck).

Have not started Sands yet.  I received it the same day I got Trinity Universe (and been playing that) FF9 on my PSP.  One I am done with P3P tho, Sands will get my undivided attention in the portable space.

apparently  P3P wont be in others to 15 august damn looks like play-asia here i come

@Lestat,Ssenkah ,you guys will have to help me out i havent played D2 online so I"m a noob

@mjk45:  I just saw your earlier comments and the one about Square Enix is interesting.  Hmm, makes me wonder if that was the case back then (Sony not making first party developed RPGs, but getting FF7-X, X-2, and XII exclusive).  If so, why would that effect them now tho?  They own 8% non-voting stock (i believe) in Square Enix now, and I do not see how that would keep them from doing it. 

Also on the thoughts of JRPGs not selling well in the west, that is true.  In Japan they get huge marketing campaigns (tv ads, posters and the like) but here atleast in America you would be lucky to even see a poster at a gaming store for a Jrpg.  Final Fantasy and DQ are the only ones that you really get anything for.  MS, however, has put a bit more effort into their JRPG efforts (they did a tv spot for Lost Odyssey and had posters at Bestbuy/Gamestop for Blue Dragon).   Starting at WKC2 is not a smart idea for Sony, but what about a new IP from say NiS or something else?  I would love to see how well a JRPG would sell if Sony marketed it.  

We all know marketing is not an end all be all however.  Look at Dante's Inferno.  They had a commercial for the game during the SuperBowl (largest TV event in the US by FAR)  and it flopped big time.  (I enjoyed the game, but I beat it in 4hours and saw no reason to play it again)

@Ssenkah , in regards to LOD not being on psn as i stated near the end we don't know what they have planned for it it might still come i don't know, they might have held it back while they got the FF games onto psn after all Wada had to take FF9 going on psn to the board for approval, or  it may be the case that its just not a priority for them.

As to MS advertising Lost odyssey etc we all know that it was tied into them trying to increasing Japanese market share and winning over PS2 rpg gamers to 360 and being unprecidented  isn't indicitive of past and present jrpg advertising,it is up to the many rpg publishers to advertise as they see fit and where they think it is best suited not Sonys, MS's or Nintendos role as the Console maker .