By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Flash poll: Will the PS3 get a price cut in 2009? When?

Q4 if ever, Sony doesn't have the money to lose at this point.

Around the Network
tombi123 said:
If Sony are planning a price cut in Q1, they should have had a price cut this November instead. I think Q3 is most likely.

I disagree; they knew the holidays would juice sales somewhat anyway, and they didn't want to lose more money per console on those juiced sales.

But longer term they do need to juice sales with a price cut, bite the bullet and take a bit bigger of a loss.  I think they'll cut prices Q1 or Q2.

In effect, they wanted a few hundred thousand more holiday sales at their current prices *more* than they wanted holiday sales to explode at a lower price point, costing them money.

3rd quarter

I bet permaban March 2009 $299.

Q4. They are selling well enough right now to satisfy profits eventually and will have big games releasing to boost them. Won't be necessary til the holidays.

Around the Network

A price drop to $300, anyone think it will outsell the 360?

Q1.

March, to be more specific.

When are the Cell and RSX chips supposed to go to 45nm/65nm and then to 45nm/45nm respectively?  I used to know when Sony forecast the manufacturing changes.

I'm buying a new PS3 at 45/45/slim.  Definitely.

RPG said:
A price drop to $300, anyone think it will outsell the 360?

It will. Cause the X360 will be dropped only by $50 to $250, therefore the PS3 will win 2009.

It will be a tuff battle, but I fink the PS3 will sell 12 million units against X360's rufly 11 million in 2009.

I think most people think the PS3 is failing due to price, once time or another the price will drop to $300.