By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii Sports Resort (Wii Sports 2) Will it sell???

This game might convince me to plug in my Wii, something that hasn't happened in ~6 months now.

Yeah, it will sell. I've been waiting for a new Wii Sports since early January of 2007. It amazes me that no one has figured out a way to rebottle that simple little game's genius.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
Blappo said:
If Nintendo releases a standalone WM+ and a WM with a built in WM+ then it will hurt Wii Sports Resort sales. However, even if they do this it will probably still sell 10+ million.

I don't know about that. WiiPlay sold well (and still sells) even though there are standalone wii remotes availiable. The wii remotes aren't really stopping WiiPlay. I don't think that standalone M+'s will hurt WSR either.

izaaz101 said:
Blappo said:
If Nintendo releases a standalone WM+ and a WM with a built in WM+ then it will hurt Wii Sports Resort sales. However, even if they do this it will probably still sell 10+ million.

I don't know about that. WiiPlay sold well (and still sells) even though there are standalone wii remotes availiable. The wii remotes aren't really stopping WiiPlay. I don't think that standalone M+'s will hurt WSR either.

Heh. When I bought my second Wii (sold the first for break-even after six months of owning it), I bought it with Wii Play for the second remote. For $10, I figured "what the hell"? It costs me virtually nothing to try this game and while I think the game is shit, I don't regret that purchase.

The same applies to WM+.

Eh, I think people are getting carried away. We haven't seen enough of the game to judge if it will be a 5m seller or a 30m seller.

If it's closer to Wii Fit's scope than Wii Sports', it could be a huge hit. But if its closer to Wii Sports, people might yawn.

I'll put it this way: it is more important for Resort to follow in the footsteps of Fit and Kart than it is to follow in the footsteps of Wii Sports. Carnival Games and Deca Sports followed in the footsteps of Sports; Fit and Kart took Wii Sport's ideals and built a higher-end market with them.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Erik Aston said:
Eh, I think people are getting carried away. We haven't seen enough of the game to judge if it will be a 5m seller or a 30m seller.

If it's closer to Wii Fit's scope than Wii Sports', it could be a huge hit. But if its closer to Wii Sports, people might yawn.

I'll put it this way: it is more important for Resort to follow in the footsteps of Fit and Kart than it is to follow in the footsteps of Wii Sports. Carnival Games and Deca Sports followed in the footsteps of Sports; Fit and Kart took Wii Sport's ideals and built a higher-end market with them.

I think the fact that we see the floor of this game as being five million sales speaks volumes about its potential.

Around the Network
Erik Aston said:

Honestly, I don't know much about the game but the idea excites me.

Add in multiple sports, add depth to the sports Wii Sports has, add the Wii board to those that have it, and you've got a hit. Advertise it as something new - yet familiar - and you've got an epic win on your hands.

The key is to make it work with everything and then nurture the "hardcore" amongst us. I don't mean gamers, I only mean the competitive nature within humans. Those who played Wii Sports but want to really kick each others' asses.

Really, all you need is something that builds on Wii Sports. Shit, even that piece of shit Wii Music has sold over a million. Add in a new peripheral and new content and you've got a win. It will be interesting to see how Nintendo does it.

It's funny how people don't think the wii motion plus is gonna work out. I for one think it looks freaking awesome, and that I'll get wii sports resort ASAP.

Yeah, I finally have a sig.

It will sell at insane levels. It probably will be the new WiiPlay - except WiiPlay will keep selling as well. They should bundle BOTH games together (with both controllers!).

Ironically - I wonder if limited manufacturing for M+ will limit the supplies of Resort? WiiFit is limited to around 200k/week (and has sold its full 10m this year) - Resort should be able to manufacture at *least* 2-3x as quick.

In fact - if M+ is initially ONLY available with Resort - it could break all sales records ever seen. 50m Wiis out there (when Resort launches) - and as many as 30m of them may buy this game. And 10m might want 2-3 M+ units...

We could be looking at the first game *ever* to sell 20m+ units in 12 months...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:
It will sell at insane levels. It probably will be the new WiiPlay - except WiiPlay will keep selling as well. They should bundle BOTH games together (with both controllers!).

Ironically - I wonder if limited manufacturing for M+ will limit the supplies of Resort? WiiFit is limited to around 200k/week (and has sold its full 10m this year) - Resort should be able to manufacture at *least* 2-3x as quick.

In fact - if M+ is initially ONLY available with Resort - it could break all sales records ever seen. 50m Wiis out there (when Resort launches) - and as many as 30m of them may buy this game. And 10m might want 2-3 M+ units...

We could be looking at the first game *ever* to sell 20m+ units in 12 months...

Yeah, that wouldn't work. Nintendo isn't so greedy that they'd force customers who want to play multiplayer (pretty much the whole point of the game) to buy multiple copies of the game.

Still, due to the Wii Play (bundled) factor, I think the game can break records. People say it may not be as widely appealing as Wii Fit, but there are a few things to keep in mind here:

• It is bundled with M+, and the game is essentially representing the new peripheral.
  • Wii Fit would have sold even more than it has now, considering its sales are limited by supply.
  • The Wii userbase will be at least 50mil when WSR hits. By the end of the year, it should be at least 70m. With these numbers, it can't be that hard to pull off 10m before the end of 09...

rocketpig said:
izaaz101 said:
Blappo said:

Heh. When I bought my second Wii (sold the first for break-even after six months of owning it), I bought it with Wii Play for the second remote. For $10, I figured "what the hell"? It costs me virtually nothing to try this game and while I think the game is shit, I don't regret that purchase.

The same applies to WM+.

Same thing with me. I played it for maybe 20-25 hrs total, and haven't touched it in a year, and it was totally worth the $10. Besides a couple handheld games, WiiPlay has probably given me the most value of any game I've ever played (in terms of hours of entertainment per dollar). I will most likely do the same for WSR (except I'll play that every couple months or so, like I do with wii sports).