By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Top 20 Software Sales NPD

Gamespot has posted the top 20 software sells s for the month of November.

Its also been reported than LittleBigPlanet has 141K for the month od November.

TOP-SELLING SOFTWARE - NOVEMBER 2008
Title / Publisher / Units*
1) Gears of War 2 (Xbox 360) / Microsoft / 1,560,000
2) Call of Duty: World at War (Xbox 360) / Activision Blizzard / 1,410,000
3) Wii Play w/ Remote (WII) / Nintendo / 796,000
4) Wii Fit w/ Balance Board (WII) / Nintendo / 697,000
5) Mario Kart Wii w/ Wheel (WII) / Nintendo / 637,000
6) Call of Duty: World at War (PS3) / Activision Blizzard / 597,000
7) Guitar Hero World Tour (Wii) / Activision Blizzard / 475,000
8) Left 4 Dead (Xbox 360) / Electronic Arts / 410,000
9) Resistance 2 (PS3) / Sony / 385,000
10) Wii Music / Nintendo / 297,000
11) Animal Crossing: City Folk (Wii) / Nintendo
12) Fallout 3 (Xbox 360) / Bethesda Softworks
13) Rock Band (Wii) / MTV Games
14) Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia (DS) / Nintendo
15) Guitar Hero World Tour (Xbox 360) / Activision Blizzard
16) Mario Kart (DS) / Nintendo
17) Guitar Hero World Tour (PS2) / Activision Blizzard
18) WWE SmackDown vs. RAW 2009 (PS2) / THQ
19) Fable II (Xbox 360) / Microsoft
20) Madden NFL 09 (Xbox 360) / Electronic Arts

* Figures include Collector's Editions and non-hardware bundles

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6202243.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;1

Around the Network

Amazing that Wii Rock Band beat out Rock Band 2 on 360 and PS3. EA and Harmonix seriously need to rethink their strategy.

FishyJoe said:
Amazing that Wii Rock Band beat out Rock Band 2 on 360 and PS3. EA and Harmonix seriously need to rethink their strategy.

I wouldn't say amazing. Wii / PS2 Rock Band can be had for like 100 bucks for the entire set now. Rock Band 2 has been out for the 360 since September, and I believe October for the PS3. The complete sets are 190. Rock Band 2 had a good debut in September though.

I've almost gotten Rock Band for the Wii cause it's so cheap, but it's gimped.

OT: Everything in the 11-20 has done more than 141k, which is what LBP sold and it isn't on the list.

Yeah, I know RB1 Wii is fairly cheap, but still I think the opportunity loss of not having the RB2 is substantial. The GH:WT Wii full kits are sold out every place I've looked.

fable II sell 184k, in release from microsoft

Around the Network

So lets break this down:

7 Xbox 360 titles
7 Wii titles
2 Playstation 3 titles
2 Dual Screen titles
2 Playstation 2 titles

I find it interesting to note that the Wii version of Guitar Hero is selling the best this month, and people can't even blame the price, since 360 has dropped down to $200, so if people are just after the cheapest way to play Guitar Hero, that would actually be the better option. Didn't realize how overpriced the 360 game packkage was.
Wii Music manages to wrangle a spot in the top 10, and Mario Kart DS is STILL holding a fairly steady slot in the top 20 after how long?

Also, DAMN, CoD for 360 is way ahead of the PS3, which really kinda sucks since my preference out of the two is the PS3. It's not just a matter of being ahead that gets me, it's the amount; almost triple the sales rate.

And Little Big Planet didn't even make the list

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

FishyJoe said:
Yeah, I know RB1 Wii is fairly cheap, but still I think the opportunity loss of not having the RB2 is substantial. The GH:WT Wii full kits are sold out every place I've looked.

Oh yes, there's definitely no question that delayed releases between platforms squanders sales. I don't know what the hell EA is thinking, releasing RB2 in September for 360, October for PS3, and December for Wii???

Stupid move.

Dolla Dolla said:
FishyJoe said:

Oh yes, there's definitely no question that delayed releases between platforms squanders sales. I don't know what the hell EA is thinking, releasing RB2 in September for 360, October for PS3, and December for Wii???

Stupid move.

um, I think you guys have just answered your own question. Rockband 2 is out for 360 and PS3 and the Wii version of GH is STILL selling out. If EA released RB2, that would cut into the sales of GH. This way they can wait for the sales to die down a bit before injecting some fresh Guitar game back into the system.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

So goes the theory of Nintendo having a different list when they left of GHWT. If they did they would have included Animal Crossing.

"You can never jump away from Conclusions. Getting back is not so easy. That's why we're so terribly crowded here."

Canby - The Phantom Tollbooth

Grey Acumen said:
Dolla Dolla said:
FishyJoe said:

Stupid move.

um, I think you guys have just answered your own question. Rockband 2 is out for 360 and PS3 and the Wii version of GH is STILL selling out. If EA released RB2, that would cut into the sales of GH. This way they can wait for the sales to die down a bit before injecting some fresh Guitar game back into the system.

I think you're missing the point. The people spending $190 for a full Wii kit will buy GH:WT, which is one less $190 sale for RB2. I'm positive a $190 sales is helluva lot more profitable than a $99 sale.