By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can the Wii Reach 50% Before Years End?

If Nintendo increases production for the rest of the year it's possible.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Around the Network

If the Wii continues at its current rates, it will probably not quite hit 50% by years end (though it may break 49.5%). The post-holiday cooldown tends to be slower for the Wii than for other consoles, though, so it stands a good chance of breaking 50% not long after the end of the year.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Oh, btw, the Wii adjustment we just saw was on 305,266 units. I'm guessing it was only america numbers, to get VGC in line with NDP.

This is invisible text!

It's possible to, but I'm a little split on if I want it to. I promised myself before when it launched to have a party when the Wii reaches 50%, but there are already going to be parties going on during the end of the year, so it would seem more fun if it waited a little later so I'd have a reason to throw a party. It would be nice to see though.

Stever89 said:

Seems only a few weeks ago we ruled it out. Thoughts?

I think I was one of the few previously that didn't rule it out, and showed how the numbers could work...  showing that how well or poorly the 360/ps3 do will determine if it makes it or not, but it was clearly possible, not really likely.

Around the Network

nah it'll hit 49% by the end of the year. the coveted 50% will have to wait for probably february.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

If PS3 will have sold 20million total by year's end and XB360 27-28million, Wii will need to have sold 47-48million by that date to reach 50%, plain and simple.
I really don't know if they can, demand exists, productive and shipping capacity are the bottleneck... But I doubt Nintendo is willing to increase costs, as it would need to strengthen production and shipping just to break a record that wouldn't be a real one, as PS2 holds a record share for its generation quite difficult to beat, while Nintendo is already breaking records, if it really needs them at all, with DS.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

PS3 won't reach 20 million, it'll be around 19 million

360 will be around 27 million

So if Wii breaches 46 million then yes its very possible that Wii will have 50%

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

what was/is the market share of the PS2?

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Nah, very much doubt it. Expect it to end up around the 49.5% share ratio - and blow past 50% in Jan/early Feb (as sales of the 360/PS3 significantly drop post-Xmas).

I still believe Ninty will sell *every* Wii they can ship - even if its something insane, like 10m (worldwide). If they can ship double what they did in Nov... its possible.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099