By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - X360 - PS3 gap now 7 million!

Sony must accept the fact that they have failed this generation. First off the dominance the PS2 enjoyed in the past was not replicated with the PS3. Second, they are failing financially. If they expect to make any sizeable profit off their gaming department their strategy needs to change fast. Third, they have failed at innovating the industry. Everything Sony does is a rip off of Nintendo or MS. Aside from Blue ray and the occasional title that is original, Sony has sunk in to the realm of imitators and mediocrity.

I once thought highly of Sony. I believed they were really taking gaming to the next level with the development of the Cell processor and PS3. I expected big things. But now I see Sony has failed. It may not be the biggest failure, but it will have an impact on their future development. Really, whats the point of carrying on in a growing market if you still stand to lose money because the competition is too strong?

Perhaps Sony would be wise to pull out of the gaming industry this generation and cut their losses like Sega did after the Dreamcast. They could still focus on making good games, but make them for other consoles on which those titles will sell well and generate more revenue.

Why not own up to their failure and bow out with dignity? Leave the gaming industry to those who know best, Nintendo and MS.

Around the Network
DTG said:
TaroSarask said:

I checked...   Did you?

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PS2&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=Wii&reg3=All&weeks=116

There is an 8 million console gap between the PS2 and the PS3.  Likewise, the Wii is about 15 million ahead of the PS2 when the respective lauches are aligned.

On the chart the ps2 has already had it's christmas boost, ps3 is still pre xmas. In January they will be back at parity again.

Maybe you should check by individual region:

Japan: PS2 - 8.5 million vs. PS3 - 2.5 million

Others: PS2 - 12.5 million vs. PS3 - 8.4 million

NA: PS2 - 13.5 million vs. PS3 - 6.8 million

That's comparing the PS2 vs. PS3 from launch for how long they have been out in each region.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Ronster316 said:
@ seraphic_sixaxis

I saw your post, but its true, look at the sales figures for the UK, 360 is battering ps3 right now, thats just the way it is.

And more people talk about xbox here now than they do playstation.

People neglected Sega and now they are neglecting sony

Sh*t happens.

"ps3 is selling the same as ps2 did in this point in its lifetime. ps2 now = 140 million. Do the math."

THAT IS NOT TRUE. THE STATEMENT IS NOW FALSE. IF YOU COMPARE THE TWO FROM THE LAUNCH DATE THE PS3. THE PS3 THREE IS TRACKING ABOUT 7 MILLION BELOW THE PS2 AT THIS POINT. AND BY THIS TIME IN ITS LIFE THE PS2 HAD EXPLOEDED. THE PS3 IS SELLING THE SAME.
LOOK:

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=PS2&reg3=All&weeks=400

KichiVerde said:

Sony must accept the fact that they have failed this generation. First off the dominance the PS2 enjoyed in the past was not replicated with the PS3. Second, they are failing financially. If they expect to make any sizeable profit off their gaming department their strategy needs to change fast. Third, they have failed at innovating the industry. Everything Sony does is a rip off of Nintendo or MS. Aside from Blue ray and the occasional title that is original, Sony has sunk in to the realm of imitators and mediocrity.

I once thought highly of Sony. I believed they were really taking gaming to the next level with the development of the Cell processor and PS3. I expected big things. But now I see Sony has failed. It may not be the biggest failure, but it will have an impact on their future development. Really, whats the point of carrying on in a growing market if you still stand to lose money because the competition is too strong?

Perhaps Sony would be wise to pull out of the gaming industry this generation and cut their losses like Sega did after the Dreamcast. They could still focus on making good games, but make them for other consoles on which those titles will sell well and generate more revenue.

Why not own up to their failure and bow out with dignity? Leave the gaming industry to those who know best, Nintendo and MS.

When sony do eventually pull out of the hardware market i will light a big fat cigar, crack open a nice cool can of fosters lager and party harder than i've ever partied before.

Around the Network
hallowedbeeddie said:
"ps3 is selling the same as ps2 did in this point in its lifetime. ps2 now = 140 million. Do the math."

THAT IS NOT TRUE. THE STATEMENT IS NOW FALSE. IF YOU COMPARE THE TWO FROM THE LAUNCH DATE THE PS3. THE PS3 THREE IS TRACKING ABOUT 7 MILLION BELOW THE PS2 AT THIS POINT. AND BY THIS TIME IN ITS LIFE THE PS2 HAD EXPLOEDED. THE PS3 IS SELLING THE SAME.
LOOK:

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=PS2&reg3=All&weeks=400

The PS3 will never match PS2 sales.  7 million units is a huge difference, and the PS3 still has to contend with an ongoing financial crisis.  If anyone will match the PS2s success its the Wii.  They may even overtake it.  But trying to draw a comparison between PS2 and PS3 sales is pathetic.  Sony screwed up this generation.  They will never again enjoy the same success.

I can't believe how many of you are arguing with DTG. You will never win, he won't allow your silly facts and logic to sway him.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Ronster316 said:
KichiVerde said:

When sony do eventually pull out of the hardware market i will light a big fat cigar, crack open a nice cool can of fosters lager and party harder than i've ever partied before.

But this would allow MSFT to run the console market with an iron fist. No more perks, no more price cuts, no more JRPG games.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

dolemit3 said:
Ronster316 said:
KichiVerde said:

But this would allow MSFT to run the console market with an iron fist. No more perks, no more price cuts, no more JRPG games.

Good point.  I forget how shady MS can be sometimes. However, when SEGA bowed out MS stepped up.  If Sony were to call it quits another contender would likely rise up. But who? SIEMENS, Samsung, Toshiba? Not likely. So perhaps Sony is best left in the game. However, they are really going to have turn things around for the next gen.

I think you have the 360 confused with the original X-Box which had zero JRPG's. The 360 has plenty of JRPG's and many more in development. They even have their own developer Mistwalker that only makes JRPG's.