By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - PCs vs. Consoles

Hehe...SNES and Genesis games rock on the PC...as long as you have a USB gamepad...I'm considering getting a 360 gamepad for Windows...simply because it's such a comfy controller...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
Vengi said:

Most online games that are not MMORPG's the Public servers are still free, can you give some examples where this is not true?

There are even some MMORPGs that are free to play online.

I'm not sure that was in regard to my comment but I was talking about private servers not public servers. Some clans choose to rent private servers to avoid unwanted players. Others do it just because it allows them full control over the mods on the game. It's a pro point because it gives the people that serious about the games this option.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

My friends and I used to rent a private CS server...it was nice because it was very close, super low ping, and full control over all the games...split among the 12 or so of us, the cost was negligible.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

For me, I've never even thought to compare the two platforms. I'm practically incapable of it. It's always been PC + Nintendo system + possibly another console if it's performing better than the latest Nintendo console (PS2, last gen). I need the PC for games from Irrational, Blizzard, IO, Valve, Benoit Sokal, etc... (1st and 3rd person shooters, stealth-action, real time and turn-base strategy, adventure, etc.) I need a Nintendo console for the latest Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Smash Bros. installments (along with many other games on the platform that catch my attention). And the PS2 I need because there are a considerable handful of games that were really tough to miss out on (Silent Hill, MGS, GTA, Shadow of the Colossus, etc.)

Why choose a favorite when I get to play all those games? Like a good parent, I love all my children equally (but PC gets extra dessert tonight... and Wii has to sleep in the shed. I don't accept name-calling in my house).

"Whenever you find a man who says he doesn't believe in a real Right and Wrong, you will find the same man going back on this a moment later."   -C.S. Lewis

"We all make choices... but in the end, our choices... make us."   -Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Prediction: Wii passes 360 in US between July - September 2008. (Wii supply will be the issue to watch, and barring any freak incidents between now and then as well.) - 6/5/08; Wow, came true even earlier. Wii is a monster.

^^ of course we all love every console or PC that lets us play the games we love, but sometimes we have to chose, as an example I´m slowly going back to consoles since I got my Wii and my PC is getting outdated fast, my problem is I can´t afford to upgrade my PC and get another console and I´m happy with my PC the way it is right now so I guess I´ll ceep my strategy needs on the PC (can´t stand them on consoles and they need little hardware) and shift my shooter and adventure, RPG needs to a new 360 (Need Mass Effect bad). Thank god I don´t play much online or else I would never see a real human again.

Around the Network

I'm slowly getting back into PCs...but with plenty of love for Wii and 360 of course. And DS too...I'm currently playing Castlevania, since I've never actually played a Castlevania game before...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

hhhmmm.... odly enough I never played a Castlevania before eather, eventhough I played loads and loads of Snes,  this is another thing consoles are just catching up with since PC gamers have allways had the luxury of playing the classics, here Nintendo has a big plus since they own loads of old classics, MS and Sony should buy the rights to all the classic PC games and put them on their system, I just introduced Day of the Tentacle to my little brother and it was the first game he played through on the new PC I build him (he actually only plays CS:Source and WC3) that gave me a good feeling, lots of young gamers have a lot of great games to catch up on.

Console without a doubt. My reason? I have a limited budget for gaming and even though I have done 80% of my gaming on a PC my biggest problem was always having to check the minimum hardware requirements for a game and being disappointed that my PC was not up to spec. Constantly having to upgrade my PC and graphics card just to play the latest and greatest just hurt the wallet too much.
With a console I know that every game I pick up off the shelf will work without a problem.
Also my console is connected to the TV in the living room where I can play with others (in the light). I have spent too many hours in a darkened room in front of a PC mashing a mouse without even realising how many hours have gone by. I used to finish work around 11pm, get home, fire up the PC and it would be daylight outside before I would finish.

JRI.

@El Duderino - Well let me play along then... if I had to choose a system, the decision would be based on what games I could afford to live without. Hence, PC wins hands down. I'd be able to play all my favorite PC games throughout the years, and most of my favorite console games can be emulated (a lot of SNES-era stuff) as well. Is that cheating?... Well I'd probably pick the PC regardless of the emulator factor.

Hum... Day of the Tentacle, that's by the folks who did Grim Fandango, yeah? Grim Fandango was wonderful, and I heard good things about DotT; I'll have to dig it up somehow.

Weird thing is, I never played a Castlevania game either... well there was one, for gameboy I think, but it was pretty old. Many games in the Castlevania series were rated very high, especially the ones on GBA . I don't know why I never took the time to play one of them... or why several other people here can say the same thing.

One bummer about playing old PC games is trying to get them to work sometimes. If you try hard enough, you can usually pull it off with most games, but it can take some real labor. New versions of Windows crap on old games.

"Whenever you find a man who says he doesn't believe in a real Right and Wrong, you will find the same man going back on this a moment later."   -C.S. Lewis

"We all make choices... but in the end, our choices... make us."   -Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Prediction: Wii passes 360 in US between July - September 2008. (Wii supply will be the issue to watch, and barring any freak incidents between now and then as well.) - 6/5/08; Wow, came true even earlier. Wii is a monster.

The Castlevania games for me are much of the reason owning the GBA/DS has been a must. I've finishing up Portrait of Ruin right now. I missed Aria & Dawn of Sorrow and I want to play those in order before I jump on the DS one.
I'd actually probably be perfectly content having a DS & PC and nothing else. I get my platforms on the DS and all my favourite titles on the PC.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.