By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Features for Wii Pikmin and Mario Tennis revealed

http://wii.ign.com/articles/937/937178p1.html

Following the revelation a few weeks back that the Play on the Wii version of Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (set for Japanese release tomorrow) will feature new elements, Famitsu is back with details on what's new for the Pikmin and Mario Power Tennis installments in the series.

First, a bit of background in case you haven't been keeping up with Nintenedo's Japanese Wii developments. The Play on the Wii series (titled, in Japanese, "Wii De Asobu Selection") offers Japanese gamers Wii re-releases of classic Gamecube titles. While it was originally thought that the games would be just the original GameCube titles with Wii controls tacked on, Nintendo does appear to be adding in new elements.

For Pikmin, the new feature mentioned in Famitsu concerns saving. When you save, the game stores day-by-day records of your play. You're free to restart play from the day of your choice.

For Mario Power Tennis, Nintendo has made the game fully Wiimote compatible. You can now swing the Wiimote like a tennis racket to control your swings, performing forehands, backhands, tosses and smashes by swinging the Wiimote as you would a normal racket. For spin shots, you simply change the angle of the Wiimote when swinging. To perform special shots, you press buttons during the swing.

Mario Power Tennis will support play both through the Wiimote on its own and through a Wiimote/Nunchuck combo, the latter presumably allowing you to control your characters on the court.

Famitsu lists Camelot as developer for Mario Power Tennis. It's unclear if the studio is working on the Wii update or if the Famitsu listing is just in reference to the original.

Pikmin hits Japan on December 25. Mario Power Tennis follows on January 15. Both are priced at 3,800 yen.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm disappointed with the additions to Pikmin. I was hoping for more, a la Jungle Beat. The Tennis additions aren't surprising, but that's all I wanted anyways, so no biggie.

Around the Network

Aww. No Toad or Toadette in tennis. :(

No pointer functionality in Pikmin makes me a sad panda.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

That's nice that they are at least releasing something new. I will definetly pick up Pikmin, I missed it the first time around and I can't wait to play it!

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

thekitchensink said:
No pointer functionality in Pikmin makes me a sad panda.

It might still have that, as the article says "(w)hile it was originally thought that the games would be just the original GameCube titles with Wii controls tacked on, Nintendo does appear to be adding in new elements." That could be read as meaning "in addition to updated controller functionality." Supporting this, the entire point of Play on Wii was to take advantage of the wiimote.

On the flip side, the new controls are the only thing mentioned about Tennis. Inclusio unius excusio alterius?

Around the Network

"For Pikmin, the new feature mentioned in Famitsu concerns saving. When you save, the game stores day-by-day records of your play. You're free to restart play from the day of your choice."

Since i never play Pikmin before so i not understand what this feature mean, is anyone can explain it plz?What "day of your choice" will make any different in gameplay?

No IR in Pikmin? ;_; Or will there be more later? Also Mario Tennis needs online play and this would be killer!

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Madanial said:
"For Pikmin, the new feature mentioned in Famitsu concerns saving. When you save, the game stores day-by-day records of your play. You're free to restart play from the day of your choice."

Since i never play Pikmin before so i not understand what this feature mean, is anyone can explain it plz?What "day of your choice" will make any different in gameplay?

In the Gamecube version, you saved at the end of each day. Saving deleted what you had done the day before (although you could save in another slot...). This is saying that the end of day data will not be overwritten: you could play for 50 days, then decide to go back to day 3 without any penalty.

Essentially, you'll be able to re-do your game from whatever point you want to.

Oh, i got it now.
Thx a lot.Noname2200. :D

I think Pikmin will have pointer control. Do you think Metroid wont have pointer control? Of course it will, its not a complicated feature to program for it.

Mario Tennis is probably more difficult than either DK, Pik or MP. DK u punch at the screen, MP and Pik u point at the screen but Tennis needs remote rotation etc.

This is perhaps why of the 3 games Tennis is the latest release.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.