By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top 10 over-rated games of 2008

Gears 2 is biggest disapointment!!! but most of those other games i felt were superb titles

Long Live SHIO!

Around the Network

for those of you saying you agree with Wii Fit... aside from that you probly havent played it, it actually wasnt rated all that high, so it was hardly overrated... it was rated pretty fairly. It wasnt rated in the 80's or 90's like the other games on the list

Check out my pyro tf2 vid :)

Bet With routsounmanman: By the end of Q1 2008 Capcom WONT have announced a RE5 Wii Edition OR a new RE (classic gameplay) for the Wii (WON)

DMeisterJ said:

Not me:  http://fidgit.com/archives/2008/12/10-most-overrated-games-of-200.php

The List:

Many of the following ten games are great. A few came close to being on my top ten list (to be posted tomorrow). I would call a couple of them works of genius. But I think they're the most overrated games of the year for the simple fact that I'm surprised at how well received they were. I wouldn't recommend any of these without a few important caveats.

Read the 10 most overrated game of 2008 after the jump.

10) Civilization IV: Colonization
I've never won a single game of Colonization. But I've loved every game I've played. I don't imagine many people would feel the same. Never played it can't judge.

9) Left 4 Dead
It's a great showcase for zombies that can run and co-op gameplay, but it's as fast, slick, fun in groups, and gratifying as chasing a greased pig (take that however you will). Serious Sam and Robotron were pretty cool, too, while the thrill lasted. Oh I'm sorry, did it make you think? Poor you.

8) Burnout: Paradise
A racing game largely devoid of meaningful physics or convenience, also known as Burnout: Drive All the Way Back to the Starting Line Because There's No "Re-Try Race" Option, Suckers!. Agreed

7) Spore
The developers have explained that Spore was essentially three products: a content creator, a game-ish sort of thing, and a way to share stuff. Unless you're interested in at least two of those three things, and if you're willing for at least one of them to be rather anemic, Spore will be a head-scratcher. Agreed

6) Wii Fit
Wii fad. Not really that well-reviewed.

5) Mass Effect
The long-in-the-tooth Bioware RPG formula applied to a generic sci-fi universe, with bouncing buggy driving/shooting sequences standing in for the exploration of alien worlds 2007... Also, no.

4) Metal Gear Solid 4
For fans only. For everyone else, this is Kojima's long slow wank and you have to get to watch. Go play Halo. This game is awesome.

3) Braid
This is not a game that moves and it's not very accessible. You need to have a stomach for old-school platformers and mental brick walls. Which is a shame, because the place Braid eventually goes is sublime. I'm not even going to comment

2) Little Big Planet
Awesome graphics! And those little sack people are so cute I could just eat them up! Now where's the game? Oh, you have to go to the icon and press X.

1) Grand Theft Auto IV
One of the most amazing realizations of a real-world-ish place and one of my favorite games this year. Also the setting for a poorly told story and uninspired gameplay, and the subject of a system-shattering PC port.

THE ONE GOOD POINT YOU'VE MADE!

Do you agree?

So no, I don't agree. Who wrote this? It looks like Kotaku work. Probably written by some shooter-obsessed "hardcore" gamer.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

What a horrible list... MGS4 overrated? Those that gave it 10s? yes those that gave it in the high 9s were pretty spot on though. Wii Fit wasn't reviewed well anywhere, so I don't see the overRATED part in that... Mass Effect came out on PC this year and got much better reviews on it and well deserved. Burnout was really good. And don't get me started on LBP, I mean its the whole reason for me buying a PS3...

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Esa-Petteri said:
amp316 said:
Esa-Petteri said:
No, there are some nintendo titles which belong to that list too. Burnout paradise,mass effect and L4D overrated? Replace them with brawl, mkwii and no more heroes and the list is perfect.

Your still here? If you wanted to make a legitimate argument, you'd say Wii Music.  Then again, that wasn't overrated by anyone. 

Do you honestly think that Burnout Paradise is better than MKWii?  Wait.  I forgot who I was talking to. 

So it would be legitimate in your eyes to say wii music? Don't be such a snobcore, that game is underrated! It is fun for a lot of kids and some grownups too.

Do you honestly think that MKwii is better than burnout paradise? Oh my.. what a shocker coming from a nintendo fan. Is it because burnout paradise is not available for wii?

This guy called me a snobcore?  That was a close one.  I almost wet my pants.  The Burnout games are good the Mario Kart games are better.  They don't have lame stuff like get this many dollars worth of damage on them. 

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger