By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - And the 5 best selling PS3 games of all time, in Japan, are...

c0rd said:
Max King of the Wild said:

You guys are making it seem like if the game isn't as big as Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest then it didn't sell well... Just because Ratchet almost outsold a game doesn't mean the game didn't sell well. It just means that the Ratchet sold just as well...

It would be accurate to say "JRPG's sell just as well as other games in Japan unless they are 'blah'"

I mean look at the first 5 games of the Ps2 in Japan. 4 JRPGs they obviously are big in Japan. In the top 10 there are 6 JRPGs.

(the top 4 games which are RPGs outsell the next ten non RPGs...)

In America, the 3 main GTA games (3, VC, SA) take a pretty huge chunk of the top sellers in US (which consists almost entirely of Madden). Still, I wouldn't call the sandbox genre huge just because of GTA.

The RPG's you're talking about I already counted anyway - DQ, FF, and KH. Every other series is far smaller, something people don't seem to realize. After these main series, the best selling RPG franchise (besides MH, which is going to the Wii) is Tales.

I'm not saying JRPG's are unimportant, just that people often exaggerate the situation. People see the PS3 selling badly, and think any JRPG's might fix it - that just isn't the case. WKC to DQ is like comparing Saints Row to GTA... it may be similar or in the same genre, but it doesn't have the mainstream appeal.

I would call TPS huge in the US though.

WKC will sell well. The main point you guys were trying to make was JRPGs don't sell well if they arent titled FF or DQ.

Around the Network

Apart from the rare Wii title, and a few PS2 titles - pretty much ALL consoles sales in Japan have sucked the last few years.

There are few exceptions - WiiSports, WiiPlay, WiiFit mainly...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

noname2200 said:
Groucho said:
Considering the number of PS3s in Japan, most of those games did quite well.

I think the problem for developers is the need for that qualifier, especially if the developer counts primarily on Japan for their survival. Things could be worse, mind you (you can be making JRPGs exclusively for the 360, for instance), but that doesn't mean this is great either.

And before you start, no, sales for Wii games aren't stellar either. Something needs to bring Japan back into console gaming. Hell if I know what it is, though.

Final Fantasy XIII

HD version of Monster Hunter

HD version of Dragon Quest

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

I agree with Jo21... Why the hell is the PS3 only the one in question?

Care to show us some 360 side? or how about the Wii.. Too one sided IMO. "Too" "One" "Sided." :-S

So, that's only PS3, it's not Sony's only console there. What about the PS2 and PSP in that time? Is Monster hunter Portable G2 PSPs biggest selling game? When did that come out compared to when the PSP was launched?

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

Well I dont think that that list will contain a million seller untill FFXIII... maybe a couple of 500k+ sellers if games like WKC, GT% and RE5 prove to be popular ;)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

outlawauron said:

Here is VGC numbers for top tens of every console:

Wii:
1. Wii Sports - 3.29 mil
2. Wii Fit - 2.81 mil
3. Wii Play - 2.57 mil
4. MK:Wii - 1.83 mil
5. Brawl - 1.81 mil
6. Mario Party 8 - 1.34 mil
7. Super Mario Galaxy - 990k
8. Wario Ware - 710k
9. Twilight Princess - 590k
10. Super Paper Mario - 580k

Not a single 3rd party broke the top 10 for the Wii in Japan...  I hope that changes next year.  You take out 1st party publishers and the lists are much closer.

Hm software should be interesting next year though, when 3rd party developers take both consoles more seriously. it would be about time too

So MGS4 is basically the best selling 3rd party game in Japan. This is good ^_^

"You have the right to the remains of a silent attorney"

Yes, but... it's not exactly fair in comparison as it is a pack-in bundle. Makes it almost 1st party...