By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Star OceanL TLH needs 3 DVDs

i dont think that changing disks is a huge problem,
FF VII - 3 discs
FF VIII - 4 discs
FF IX - 3 discs
and all three are on the PS1
but when the ps2 arrived, FF X was on 1 DVD

So, when technology advances, data compression get smaller and smaller and storage discs get bigger and bigger
thats why some peolpe find it awkward that on an HD system in 2008, some games take multi DVDs to fit,,,

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3), White Knight Chronicles (PS3), PES 2010 (PS3), Killzone 2 (PS3)

Games to Finish: Silent hill Homecoming (PS3), Valkyria Chronicles (PS3), Oblivion (PS3)

Around the Network
Million said:
mrstickball said:
RPG -

Here's the problem. As much as you have a preference to have a game on 1 disc (I am sure that everyone would prefer it on 1 disc too), the problem comes down to the simple economics of the issue: The Playstation 3 is the 3rd place system, and rapidly losing to the X360, and the Wii. Because of that, as much as you love Blu-Ray, it doesn't mean your going to get the games you want.

Was BetaMax better than VCRs? Sure, but how many movies could you play on your BetaMax?

Is an Ethanol-powered car better than a gas-burner? Sure, but how often can you find a filling station?

The issue of argument isn't the technicalities, I think, of Blu-Ray. It's better, yeah, we get it. Problem is that it's also far more expensive, and for the payout that BR-DVD brings, it's cost far more than it's gained for Sony. They now have a very expensive system that, although has a better drive, is severely lagging in sales for the same reason - it's too expensive.

Enjoy your Blu-Ray gaming if you want that 1 disc. I'll be enjoying the actual game we're debating.

5 million odd install base difference , 1 year advantage . Wtf are you talking about ?

And Star Ocean is a relativley small franchise which will most likely go multiplatform ala Bioshock. Even Killzone 1 sold better than the best performing Star Ocean game.

Killzone had an unfair advantage of sellin 2 million copies in Europe alone which is where SO3 sold very poorly.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
RPG said:
mrstickball said:
...Would you prefer a Star Ocean with 1 disc and 1/4th the data?

I would prrfer 4/4th of the game on one disc, something blu-ray can do.

Would you prefer it to be on the PS3, on 3 BD discs, or not on the PS3 at all?

The point is, it's such an insignificant small advantage that the PS3 has, but since it is an advantage, you guys try to play it up like its a major thing. That's my only problem with the situation. I don't think anyone would actually deny that it's happening... :P

It is a major thing because for the certain people that actually do care about swapping discs.

Exercise = Does not compute!

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

Riachu said:
Million said:
mrstickball said:
RPG -

Here's the problem. As much as you have a preference to have a game on 1 disc (I am sure that everyone would prefer it on 1 disc too), the problem comes down to the simple economics of the issue: The Playstation 3 is the 3rd place system, and rapidly losing to the X360, and the Wii. Because of that, as much as you love Blu-Ray, it doesn't mean your going to get the games you want.

Was BetaMax better than VCRs? Sure, but how many movies could you play on your BetaMax?

Is an Ethanol-powered car better than a gas-burner? Sure, but how often can you find a filling station?

The issue of argument isn't the technicalities, I think, of Blu-Ray. It's better, yeah, we get it. Problem is that it's also far more expensive, and for the payout that BR-DVD brings, it's cost far more than it's gained for Sony. They now have a very expensive system that, although has a better drive, is severely lagging in sales for the same reason - it's too expensive.

Enjoy your Blu-Ray gaming if you want that 1 disc. I'll be enjoying the actual game we're debating.

5 million odd install base difference , 1 year advantage . Wtf are you talking about ?

And Star Ocean is a relativley small franchise which will most likely go multiplatform ala Bioshock. Even Killzone 1 sold better than the best performing Star Ocean game.

Killzone had an unfair advantage of sellin 2 million copies in Europe alone which is where SO3 sold very poorly.

You make it as though it is Killzone's fault for selling so well in the EU. :/

@Million
The gap is almost 7 million now. And by years end it may be 8 million or higher. There is a pretty big difference between a 5 million gap and an 8 million gap. 3 million more consoles to be exact.

Around the Network
RPG said:
mrstickball said:

You are oh so sore.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Grahamhsu said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
RPG said:
mrstickball said:

The point is, it's such an insignificant small advantage that the PS3 has, but since it is an advantage, you guys try to play it up like its a major thing. That's my only problem with the situation. I don't think anyone would actually deny that it's happening... :P

It is a major thing because for the certain people that actually do care about swapping discs.

I'm personally not even sure why those certain people even have a console then.  As many times as you swap disks through normal use.  This game will add 2 more moments that you swap a disk.  I personally insert, remove, or change the disk 3 or 4 times a day, through normal use playing single disk games.  I don't think the issue of 2 extra times swapping disks playing the game to completion is really such a huge issue like those certain people make it to be.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Grahamhsu said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
RPG said:
mrstickball said:

No they don't, lol. Nobody really cares about that. It's all fake outrage. It's like me saying I hate required installs for PC games....except it's not nearly as bad as installs. It's like 30 seconds verses 15 minutes.

In fact, for gaming, BR isn't an advantage at all, actually, as long as they can put games on multiple discs.

The thing is, if Sony fans admitted that multiple discs weren't a significant problem, they'd have to admit that BR wasn't a significant advantage...and that's not happening.

It's a pointless debate, really. Whining over changing a disc while perfectly accepting required installs...me thinks the lady doth protest too much. It's just a rediculious argument....It's like complaining that my iPhone takes 5 seconds to turn on instead of instantly.

It's a fake argument, made by Sony fans, and nobody really cares about that, lol. It takes 5 seconds. If you have time to whine about that, then you're in for a hard life...

It literally took every poster on this thread longer to write any one of their posts than it would have taken them to change all 3 discs on Star Ocean. Literally. Just think about that for a second.

That said, I've been blowing this argument out of the water, very validly I might add, since page 1, and people just skim over my posts and continue to propogandize the Sony agenda, so it's kinda pointless for me to go on.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Grahamhsu said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
RPG said:
mrstickball said:

No they don't, lol. Nobody really cares about that. It's all fake outrage. It's like me saying I hate required installs for PC games....except it's not nearly as bad as installs. It's like 30 seconds verses 15 minutes.

In fact, for gaming, BR isn't an advantage at all, actually, as long as they can put games on multiple discs.

The thing is, if Sony fans admitted that multiple discs weren't a significant problem, they'd have to admit that BR wasn't a significant advantage...and that's not happening.

It's a pointless debate, really. Whining over changing a disc while perfectly accepting required installs...me thinks the lady doth protest too much. It's just a rediculious argument....It's like complaining that my iPhone takes 5 seconds to turn on instead of instantly.

It's a fake argument, made by Sony fans, and nobody really cares about that, lol. It takes 5 seconds. If you have time to whine about that, then you're in for a hard life...

It literally took every poster on this thread longer to write any one of their posts than it would have taken them to change all 3 discs on Star Ocean. Literally. Just think about that for a second.

That said, I've been blowing this argument out of the water, very validly I might add, since page 1, and people just skim over my posts and continue to propogandize the Sony agenda, so it's kinda pointless for me to go on.

Zens post makes so much sense, if anyone argues with it they truly are the dumbest people alive. /thread.

15 pages about having to swap discs...

Some are spending more time complaining about swapping discs than it actually takes to swap discs.

Then again, after seeing that thread where one guy pissed himself while gaming, I'm not entirely surprised people are petty enough to complain about having to get up and change a disc.

Edit: Whoops. Didn't read Zenfoldor's post before writing this. He had made the point already.