By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top 10 most torrented games of 2008

Gnizmo said:
Given how old GTA is some of those might just be people re-getting the game after their copy got lost/broken. Still pretty sad state of affairs overalll. The biggest point made is that you can't force people to buy the game through draconian DRM. Hopefully this inspires someone to come up with a better way to combat privacy.

World of Goo poignantly points out that this isn't as easy as it sounds

Around the Network

Never said or thought it was easy. I am just pointing out it is necessary.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Disturbing

twesterm said:
Barozi said:
twesterm said:
And people say piracy doesn't affect anything. Even the 10 spot is easily the different between a game that makes money and a game that doesn't.

Assumed that every single of those downloader would buy the game (which is in over 50% not the case)

Even if they weren't going to buy the game (which is a bullshit excuse) they are still enabling others so it still hurts the developers just as bad.

From a financial perspective (since you mentioned money), there's zero difference between downloading a game illegally and not buying it.

As for the "enabling others" that's scraping the bottom of the barrel. There are tons of ways to get illegal games which don't involve P2P, and you don't need many people in a torrent to download files pretty fast.

Morally wrong yeah, but the financial impact is not really determined AFAIK.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

i downloaded spore, crysis and fallout 3 as well. Spore is quite bad and wouldn't have bought it anyway(just wanted to know what it was about). With crysis i wanted to test if it could run on my pc and for fallout 3 i downloaded it for my brother who is poor =P

Yes these are excuses

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Around the Network

these numbers seem low to me....

I mean if the top ten goes to 400k, then game piracy is really not that rampant considering that it's probably the same people getting a copy of each of these.... assuming a 50% attach rate for the much buzzed spore, that would put the game pirate population at 3-4 million worldwide? so what... 2% of the gaming PC population? (yeah cause one time pirates of spore apear in the numbers)

Similarly, Handhelds are easy to pirate. So based on a 100M handheld population, not one game has over 500K.... that is lower than 1% of the population that pirates if you assume pirate would get at least a 50% attach rate on high profile games...

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Neos said:
i downloaded spore, crysis and fallout 3 as well. Spore is quite bad and wouldn't have bought it anyway(just wanted to know what it was about). With crysis i wanted to test if it could run on my pc and for fallout 3 i downloaded it for my brother who is poor =P

Yes these are excuses

lol isn't he able to sell some dope ? (sry I couldn't resist^^)

Spore deserves it though, with all of DRM bullcrap, not to mention the game is just a big letdown. And also, quite boring.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Stardock themselves said that you cannot take the number of people who pirated a game and call them lost customers. Stardock's games have no DRM, and they made an impressive profit on them.
http://pc.ign.com/articles/858/858653p1.html

I see Nintendo does not feature on that list, despite the Wii being popular and hyped. Targeting the "expanded market" does that - people in it don't know enough about technology to acquire it for free illegally.