By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top 10 most torrented games of 2008

And people wonder why companies are slowly going more towards consoles.....

PREDICTIONS:
360 will outsell PS3 YTD for 2008. (CHECK!)
360 will have the best showing at E3 & TGS in 2009
2009 will be another year for the 360 over PS3
End OF 2009 SALES :: 360 - 40M;  PS3 - 30M; Wii - 70M

Around the Network

Those companies who are going to consoles to avoid piracy are making poor decisions. Console piracy is big also. The thing that really sucks is, when there is piracy on the PC, the publishers can attempt to combat it. Just look at what EA is doing. On the console, however, if the system is hacked, the publishier has to wait until the console manufacterer does something about it.

twesterm said:
And people say piracy doesn't affect anything. Even the 10 spot is easily the different between a game that makes money and a game that doesn't.

Yes, because all those people would have bought the game if they couldn't download it. You are so smart.

I couldn't agree more.. People mostly pirate games that they would never have considered buying anyway, games are too expensive to buy a lot of so people pick the top games to buy and then go and download the lesser ones..

I recently got pirated copies of Quantum of Solace and Shaun Whites on Wii, guess which one I went out and bought a week later?

In that instance, pirating ended up helping Ubi as it acted as a demo and instigated a purchase

Even though you can argue that pirating does not effect sales as much as companies want you to believe, It is still wrong. It may sound cheesy for me to say so, but pirating is stealing. None of this "I bought it because I played the pirated version" crap. You will still get prosecuted if you are caught.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
DMeisterJ said:
Should take a look at PSP piracy rates.

They kill any shot of a PSP game making meaningful profit.

I'm tellin you.  It just ain't the case.

People buy PSPs because they are pirateable, hackable and can be used for a lot of crap.

I don't know a person who owns a PSP who would of bought it if they couldn't of compromised the firmware.  I'm the only person i know who legitamitly wants a PSP only to use for it's legitamite features.

There are very few "pure" pirates out there... and those that are pure pirates end out downloading everything just because they can of stuff they'll never play.

i havent cracked my psp either. It's as clean as when it came out. :P

Check out my game about moles ^

I absolutely hate piracy.

The only time I illegally download a game is when it's not for sale in Europe (as in: never will) like Chrono Trigger for the SNES.

Finally I can repay SE for the awesomeness of that game when it releases for the first time in Europe next year.

The moral question of piracy is complicated, complicated, complicated. There are many areas where there are shades of grey.

Can you blame a person like Benga, who is not financially hurting the company and would be otherwise unable to experience the game in question? Chrono Trigger and EarthBound in the EU, Terranigma in the US, Mother 3 pretty much anywhere that isn't Japan?

But all the stuff on that list there is just abhorrent

Nearly as bad as World of Goo

KylieDog said:
twesterm said:
And people say piracy doesn't affect anything. Even the 10 spot is easily the different between a game that makes money and a game that doesn't.

Nah, since chances are most people wouldn't bother with the game if it wasn't free.

I used to pirate PS1 games years ago, had about 200-300.  Most of which I never even played, let alone would have payed for.

wow. thats a LOT

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Barozi said:
Soleron said:
I see Nintendo does not feature on that list, despite the Wii being popular and hyped. Targeting the "expanded market" does that - people in it don't know enough about technology to acquire it for free illegally.

A Wii only game won't be on that list anytime soon. Downloading console games is too unpopular compared to pc games.

I'm pretty sure only 10% of those listed multiplat games are 360 versions and maybe 0,1% PS3 versions.

0.0% are ps3 versions. They'll take too long to download and you can't play them anyway

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler