By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The PS3 not performing as bad as some claim?

As a fellow Canadian, I concur. Whenever I pass an electronics store I always ask if they have the Wii in stock. I've been laughed at three times. And no, it's not because of the name! I always follow up with, well do you have the PS3? and I'm always met with an "oh yeah". But then again, the Sega Saturn isn't on store shelves either right now. And I really don't see that console amounting to very much either.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

Stromprophet said: You mean like the 1/3 of 360 launch that sat on shelves in Japan? You can thank that for the hardware shortage and maybe ask them WTF they were thinking sending that many there when the US was then in shortage for months.
I just want to ask why everybody drags up xbox360 vs PS3 in Japan, when it is Wii that beats ps3 in Japan? You could compare PS3 with xbox360 in USA. Since launch of the PS3, the xbox360 is beating the PS3. The xbox360 launch was really really bad, but does it matter when the total lead know is over 4 million and in januari, without any supply constrains for either xbox360 and PS3, the xbox360 were above PS3? Both were beaten by Wii and PS2. The truth so far is that everybody should realise that Xbox360 or any other american consols never have been huge in Japan. Atari failed and now microsoft is failing. So stop using the xbox360 to compare PS3. It doesn't matter if ps3 beats xbox360 4 to one in Japan when Wii beats ps3 with 3 to 1 in sales. EDIT: I have seen one (1) Wii that is availible in Sweden, and that was an expensive bundle. BUT I do think we get pretty bad shippment

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

@ robjoh

I just want to ask why everybody drags up xbox360 vs PS3 in Japan, when it is Wii that beats ps3 in Japan?
I think from the larger perspective these two are more relevant with regard to the 'Blu-Ray vs HD DVD wars' and from the outlook of the market moving more and more towards HDTV. Personally I am not sure how many years the Nintendo Wii will last, if other players are able to release a Wii-style remote and prices come down, more and more people may prefer more graphics muscle in course of time, etc. Nintendo does have Mario and Zelda to help them though.
You could compare PS3 with xbox360 in USA. Since launch of the PS3, the xbox360 is beating the PS3
In dollar figures: Sony PS3 1,035,500 x ~$575 = $595,412,500 Nintendo Wii 1,728,250 x $250 = $432,062,500 Microsoft XBox 360 929,750 x ~$350 = 325,412,500 Good yet cheap products are usually easier to sell than other great although more expensive products. For instance most 'Sony KDL-23S2010 23" Bravia S-Series 1080i/720p LCD HDTV' buyers (costs less than 1 grand) may actually prefer a 'SONY VPL-VW100 ''Full HD'' Video projector' but would cost more than eight grands! Sony sells many different types of display devices, targeting different types of uses and different types of customers.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said: I think from the larger perspective these two are more relevant with regard to the 'Blu-Ray vs HD DVD wars' and from the outlook of the market moving more and more towards HDTV. Personally I am not sure how many years the Nintendo Wii will last, if other players are able to release a Wii-style remote and prices come down, more and more people may prefer more graphics muscle in course of time, etc. Nintendo does have Mario and Zelda to help them though.
Hmm well I actuly think that Wii will last for at least 5 years so long they can have games on the market and have a great lead in Japan. So far I haven't seen everybody jumping from NDS till PSP, as long as the game is fun. I actuly think that so far have we seen that graphics

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

[quote]robjoh said: MikeB said: I think from the larger perspective these two are more relevant with regard to the 'Blu-Ray vs HD DVD wars' and from the outlook of the market moving more and more towards HDTV. Personally I am not sure how many years the Nintendo Wii will last, if other players are able to release a Wii-style remote and prices come down, more and more people may prefer more graphics muscle in course of time, etc. Nintendo does have Mario and Zelda to help them though. Hmm well I actuly think that Wii will last for at least 5 years so long they can have games on the market and have a great lead in Japan. So far I haven't seen everybody jumping from NDS till PSP, as long as the game is fun. I actuly think that so far have we seen that graphics

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

Around the Network

@ robjoh

Hmm well I actuly think that Wii will last for at least 5 years so long they can have games on the market and have a great lead in Japan. So far I haven't seen everybody jumping from NDS till PSP, as long as the game is fun.
There are more 2D style games I like playing on a portable than there are 3D style games (for this the NDS suits my needs). Racers are a bit of an exception, those I would prefer on a PSP due to its larger display, but I prefer them even more on a larger screen TV or monitor, but those I can't take with me when travelling. I don't like playing FPS games on a small display at all. [quote]I actuly think that so far have we seen that graphics

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB ... Adding PS2 numbers to PS3 numbers is dishonest for what people are talking about here ... Consider if I do the following: North America 2006: PS2 (5,525,750 ) + PS3 ( 760,000) + PSP ( 3,355,000 ) = 9,640,750 Wii (1,243,250) + Gamecube ( 851,500) + Nintendo DS ( 5,789,250 )+ Gameboy Advance ( 3,742,000 )= 11,626,000 Is that a fair comparison stating that the Gamecube is selling well because the combined total of Nintendo hardware outsold Sony's hardware?

@ HappySqurriel IMO Sony is strongest with regard to home consoles and Nintendo is strongest with regard to handheld consoles. If you want, add Sony's other electronics sales as well they would sell more hardware than Nintendo does by good margin. In terms of revenue and profits for their gaming devision sure I agree the PSP is also important.

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB:

There are more 2D style games I like playing on a portable than there are 3D style games (for this the NDS suits my needs).
One way I would likely buy a PSP is if UAE reaches Amiga 500 speeds with good compatibility (I think A1200-level performance will not happen). That would be really cool as I own tons of Amiga 500 games!

PS3 vs 360 sales

Stromprophet said: Almost every single developer said the PS2 was harder to develop for than all the other systems (DC, Xbox, GC). Developers like Hideo Kojima prefer that because they know they can create something unique on that system, it's harder to develop for but has more rewards for the work.
Stromprophet the PS2 suceeded in spite of how hard it was to program for. Sega's poor financial status and the PS2 launching a year before the X-box and Gamecube are why it took off. True some developers relish more difficult hardware but that usually isn't the case. I didn't see Kojima scrambling to make Saturn titles because of how difficult it was to program for.