By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - killzone 2 uses only 60% of ps3 SPUs

i'm always wondering, why dont they throw in something else to make use of that spare 40%? even more polygons, even more physics objects, more particles, etc...anything? why do they LEAVE 40% unused?
let me give you a hint: because there is no spare CPU power here. a game at the point of its release is ALWAYS using 100% of the resources (thats why they are "optimizing" it). There is a possibility that they could optimize it more in the future, and in 2 years they could do more on the same machine, but at the time of release its always on 100%.

Around the Network
Garnett said:
dbot said:
Garnett said:
Too bad it uses 100% of RAM LOL!!!!!

Burn!

Don't you think most games use 100% of ram?

Yea most better than god games use 100% of ram on all systems,thats the bottleneck.

360-Gears 2

PS3-KZ2

Neither CPU is being used up its all the Ram

Sorry, I misread your post. 

The % of cpu quotes are misleading.  This quote suggests that the PS3 has 40% available power, which may be theoretically true, but practically impossible.  I do appreciate the discussion of how GG created their engine to the unique design of the PS3 and the importance of the multiple paths of execution.  It's an interesting read.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

dbot said:
Garnett said:
dbot said:
Garnett said:
Too bad it uses 100% of RAM LOL!!!!!

Burn!

Don't you think most games use 100% of ram?

Yea most better than god games use 100% of ram on all systems,thats the bottleneck.

360-Gears 2

PS3-KZ2

Neither CPU is being used up its all the Ram

Sorry, I misread your post.

The % of cpu quotes are misleading. This quote suggests that the PS3 has 40% available power, which may be theoretically true, but practically impossible. I do appreciate the discussion of how GG created their engine to the unique design of the PS3 and the importance of the multiple paths of execution. It's an interesting read.

Np,It could very well have 40% left tho.

luisgvm said:

Speaking in IGN's latest Play Beyond podcast, Jeff Haynes revealed that even during the heaviest loads, Killzone 2 utilizes roughly only 60 per cent of the SPU's.

"It's incredible to see huge levels and see the deferred rendering and note that on all the SPU’s, even on the heaviest load were coming up to about 60%," Haynes said. "They weren't coming close to maxing out. .They had about 40% of space before they started tripping or saw slow down on some of the processes."

Furthermore, Haynes noted that the preview codes recently distributed to various media outlets were of an alpha build of the title, and have since been polished up . Visiting Guerilla Games in Amsterdam, Haynes was shown an updated version of the game, mid to late beta, noting that elements such as lighting, cut scenes, glitches, load times, have all been optimized.

Killzone 2 is due out exclusively on PlayStation 3 on February 27, 2009.

here is the link. http://www.psu.com/Killzone-2-only-using-60--of-SPUs-overall-power-News--a0005629-p0.php

wow if thats true then uncharted 2 will look amazing!!! jajaja

So at 60% the game has issues and had slowdowns... Crappy PS3 architecture confirmed??

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

So it's using 3.6 of the SPEs?

Surely this information is useless.

Around the Network
drpunk said:
So it's using 3.6 of the SPEs?

Surely this information is useless.

Practically. On one side, we have the fact that code optimizations could reduce that figure. On the other hand, it could well be too hard to get that figure radically up in future games due to the inherent limitations of a multi-core architecture for an application as complex as a game.

To sum up:

- It's very easy to use 100% of a single core CPU (with inefficient or efficient code).

- It's very easy to use 100% of a multi core CPU with inefficient code.

- It's very hard or impossible to use 100% of a multi core CPU with efficient code for a complex application.

By complex application I mean anything which contains lots of different workloads with inter-dependencies among them. Games certainly fall into this category. Different cores will be idle at a given time waiting for another core to finish their work before they can do anything useful.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

gebx said:
luisgvm said:

Speaking in IGN's latest Play Beyond podcast, Jeff Haynes revealed that even during the heaviest loads, Killzone 2 utilizes roughly only 60 per cent of the SPU's.

"It's incredible to see huge levels and see the deferred rendering and note that on all the SPU’s, even on the heaviest load were coming up to about 60%," Haynes said. "They weren't coming close to maxing out. .They had about 40% of space before they started tripping or saw slow down on some of the processes."

Furthermore, Haynes noted that the preview codes recently distributed to various media outlets were of an alpha build of the title, and have since been polished up . Visiting Guerilla Games in Amsterdam, Haynes was shown an updated version of the game, mid to late beta, noting that elements such as lighting, cut scenes, glitches, load times, have all been optimized.

here is the link. http://www.psu.com/Killzone-2-only-using-60--of-SPUs-overall-power-News--a0005629-p0.php

So at 60% the game has issues and had slowdowns... Crappy PS3 architecture confirmed??

not crappy, just complex

gebx said:
luisgvm said:

if you cared to read he says that they had 40 percent space AFTER being used to their full (of load kz2 is putting on them) before they started tripping or slowing down :p

Check out my game about moles ^

BEHOLD THE POWER OF 8 BIT NINTENDO! I mean..... whoops BE HOLD THE POWER OF 60% OF PS3.

No offence to the OP, but I can't believe these facts get released by the developers.

If people haven't learned that higher/lower cpu usage % doesn't make a game good...there really is no hope for HD gaming.