By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario and Zelda must go.

ClaudeLv250 said:
swyggi said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
swyggi said:
Because in many respects it's true. Zelda and Mario use a lot of the same concepts, gameplay and formulas for every one of their major games. Zelda dungeons have a lot of repeats: Forest, Ice, Water and fire dungeons have been used several times over in Zelda games. Same z-targeting system in 3-D Zelda's, several of the same items and the storyline doesn't generally change much at all. You always seem to get either the boomerang or the bow and arrow during the beginning too.

Super Mario Sunshine however was something new and refreshing I'll admit because of the water pack, however you still collected stars in a linear fashion just like SM64 and SMG.

That doesn't mean anything bad or good. It just depends on how you look at it.

That's washing it down with too much simplicity. The genius of these games is that they use similar concepts to craft completely new experiences.

Saying that Mario gets the star means absolutely nothing, because Galaxy is completely different from Sunshine and 64. In Sunshine and 64, the game dropped you into large environments and let you explore of your own will to actually find the star, often times providing multiple paths and tricks to get there. Galaxy is more like the 2D games in that the levels are actually linear and the challenge is getting across the preset obstacle course. You're going from point A to point B in Galaxy, but not in its predecessors.

Similarly, Zelda having similar themed dungeons is where the similarity ends. The only thing that Fire Temple and Goron Mines have in common is location and the lava theme. The actual layout, puzzles, ect. are completely different. In the Fire Temple you're moving blocks geysers and avoiding walls of flame, in the Goron Mines you're using the Goron machines to walk across magnetic strips. Same goes for the "water" themed dungeons. In the Water Temple, you're raising and lowering the water level to navigate different floors (an extension of LttP's water dungeon), but in the Lakebed Temple you use the momentum of flowing water to start machinery that'll get you around.

People shouldn't have much to complain about when the end result is completely different.

Yes, I am making it simple.  Which is the point, because while there are different puzzles and obstacles in each dungeon they still feel like the same dungeon.  Not because of the name fire dungeon or water dungeon, but because each dungeon has too many similar concepts like small keys, using the item in the dungeon to beat the boss, and having a compass and map in treasure chests in the dungeons.  It would be nice if they were mixed up and instead maybe find the map or compass in a village or something, maybe even complete a fun battle quest against a few enemies attacking villagers on your horse to get the map and compass. 

It can't "feel" like the same dungeon if you just admitted that the puzzles and obstacles are completely different. Having a little bit of water in a dungeon doesn't make it feel the same.

Dungeon items in dungeons are that way because it makes sense. 1)Why oh why would you need to go do a quest to save people and get a compass for a dungeon on the other side of Hyrule? It makes no sense from a storyline or gameplay perspective. In an arbitrary attempt to "shake it up" you're just making something mediocre. 2Now, having Link do the Spirit Temple as a child and an adult makes more sense both in a gameplay and storyline sense. They made that work. But apparently that doesn't count because you still get a boss key and use the Mirror Shield in a boss fight.

1) I never said it had to be on the other side of Hyrule.  Just in a village, it could be anywhere. That was a small example, no need to get riled up about that.

I'm talking about the pacing of the Zelda games.  You can add all the variety in those dungeons that you want, it's still the same pacing if you keep all of those (keys, item in dungeon to beat the boss, mini boss for item) the same.  Therefore it still feels like the same game as a previous 3-D or 2-D zelda (depending on which one's we're talking about).  I'm not arguing the gameplay is completely the same, it's the overall feel of each Zelda game.  

2) Now if only they would have kept doing interesting things like that throughout the game.

Why not try cities as the dungeons?  You could walk around town solving puzzles and fighting monsters protecting people while still keeping the keys, miniboss, item and boss combo.  You go through a bunch of obstacles and then out of the blue a huge boss comes out of the ground; maybe there doesn't need to be a boss key.

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

Around the Network

Mario and Zelda are Nintendo. If Mario and Zelda must go - Final Fantasy series, GT series and GTA series must be retired as well.

Khuutra said:
pearljammer said:
Wetcoaster said:
MANUELF said:
Because they want more FPS and sports games

That's the only thing I can think of.

They don't have guns! They suck!

HARDCORE FTW!!!! ZOMG!!

Huh? I care just as little about FPS/TPS as I do about Mario. As for Zelda, I'd be very pleased with another Phantom Hourglass type game, but I could care less about the series since Ocarina of Time (Although I did enjoy WindWaker)

Why? Every Zelda since then has been better.

Especially Majora's Mask, probably.

I was always of the mind that LttP was by far the best in the series. Actually, I would say that LttP is damn near the best game ever. Unlike Mario, I didn't like its transition to 3D. Not that I think all the Zelda's since have been bad, it's just bitterness on my part.

But swyggi, all FPS games follow the same pacing: (boring intro video, get a gun and some bullets, fight bad guys, fight bosses, boring video where your partner dies, fight bad guys, fight main bosses, boring ending video).

pearljammer said:
Khuutra said:
pearljammer said:
Wetcoaster said:
MANUELF said:

HARDCORE FTW!!!! ZOMG!!

Huh? I care just as little about FPS/TPS as I do about Mario. As for Zelda, I'd be very pleased with another Phantom Hourglass type game, but I could care less about the series since Ocarina of Time (Although I did enjoy WindWaker)

I was always of the mind that LttP was by far the best in the series. Actually, I would say that LttP is damn near the best game ever. Unlike Mario, I didn't like its transition to 3D. Not that I think all the Zelda's since have been bad, it's just bitterness on my part.

But

But that doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the sequels as compared to that of Ocarina of Time

Around the Network

If Mario and Zelda are considered stale and unoriginal. All shooter game are Doom clones. Mario, Zelda and Doom clone games are here to stay because they are popular and they guarantee millions of sales and money in the back.

Khuutra said:
pearljammer said:
Khuutra said:
pearljammer said:
Wetcoaster said:
MANUELF said:

HARDCORE FTW!!!! ZOMG!!

But

But that doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the sequels as compared to that of Ocarina of Time

No, you're right. I apologize if my post read the wrong way. What I meant to say was simply that I haven't enjoyed the series much beginning with OoT, but by no means do I think they're not great games. Zelda games have always been the pinnacle of quality, I just much rather prefer the LttP/PH style and am somewhat bitter of the transition to 3d - much like those who haven't found Final Fantasy the same since VI.

Ahhhhh. I suppose that makes a fair bit of sense - though between you and me, the gameplay changes that came with the introduction of a third dimension, down to the way that it affected dungeon design, are a lot more severe in Zelda than they were in Final Fantasy.

It's fine not to be satisfied with the current direction of the series. All the more reason to look forward to promised change, right?

Absolutely. I'll be very much looking forward to see what comes of it. But in all honesty, I would love a new Zelda on DS before anything else.

pearljammer said:
Khuutra said:
pearljammer said:
Khuutra said:
pearljammer said:
Wetcoaster said:
MANUELF said:

HARDCORE FTW!!!! ZOMG!!

But

No, you're right. I apologize if my post read the wrong way. What I meant to say was simply that I haven't enjoyed the series much beginning with OoT, but by no means do I think they're not great games. Zelda games have always been the pinnacle of quality, I just much rather prefer the LttP/PH style and am somewhat bitter of the transition to 3d - much like those who haven't found Final Fantasy the same since VI.

I think the jumps to 3-D were great for both Mario and Zelda, but I never want them to fully replace the 2-D franchises.  I'm glad they keep 2-D Mario, 2-D Zelda, 3-D Mario, and 3-D Zelda alive, because they're all separate franchises in my mind.  But I'm definitely in the "Last good FF was VI" camp.  Endless FMV cutscenes killed RPGs for me.