By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario and Zelda must go.

BMaker11 said:
Khuutra said:
I am still trying to try to think how to phrase my argument without coming across as if I'm flaming you

Because trying to argue with someone who insists that all Mario games boil down to jumping on Goombas is very frustrating

Especially when this same person confesses to liking RPGs

Is that not what you do in Mario?

And about RPGs: There are various RPGs. Fallout and Final Fantasy are not the same, whether in gameplay or objectives. Kingdon Hearts and Valyria Chronicles aren't the same.  Advance Wars and Tales of Vesperia are not the same. They come in all shapes and sizes

Have you played a Mario RPG?  They're all amazing.

Your problem is with the character, not the gameplay or objectives.  Gameplay and objectives are different in different Mario games.  You'd know that if you played them.

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:
Millennium said:
SaviorX said:

"Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Pokemon, all those games are rehashes"

That is the sentiment of some gamers which I have absolutely no idea of understanding. Can somebody please explain to me why someone would say this sober?

Because clever marketers have convinced them that ZOMGNEWCHARACTERZZZZ is all it takes to make a completely new gaming experience, and that conversely, you cannot have a new experience without a new cast.

It's complete BS to anyone who hasn't bought into that hype, of course. But it's the sentiment behind the statement.

No, not ZOMGNEWCHARACTERZZZZ...try ZOMGNEWGAMEZZZ or ZOMGNEWIP.

No; it's exactly as I said. Nintendo has had plenty of genuinely new gaming experiences within its already large and diverse collection of IPs, whereas its competitors' IPs are often little more than glorified reskins of each other, even among the sequels. Yet still their fanboys demand "new IP" because they've been convinced that the rehashes they eat up by the gross are actually new experiences. They swap Kratos' Y-chromosome for an X and take him to a dermatologist and think they've somehow got a new game experience, yet they rag on the new Nintendo games for no other reason that Mario is still an Italian plumber.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Any game would seem terrible if they were generalized to the point seen in this thread.

Fortunately, the generalizations just don't cut it. You can all keep having fun playing video games.

People say that because they know if they take out thise franchises, they would go out of buisness, and there would be a gaming crash.

Torillian said:
mike_intellivision said:

BMaker

Using your same arguement - once you have played one FPS, you have played them all.

At least there are plot changes and twists and occassional new characters in the Mario games.

The top FPS games of this generations continue to be shooters with the same stories (fight space aliens who keep coming back or fight Nazis).

Mike from Morgantown

So in Mario games slight plot changes and nuance matter, but for FPS's all you do is look at the main idea of the story and call them the same?  Most FPS's use completely different characters, let alone setting and story.  How can you possibly tell me that there are more similarities in the stories of the FPS genre, than in the Mario series? that's ridiculous.  New characters in Mario apparently means the stories are different, but FPS's with completely different casts of characters are all the same?

Because the point was being made as much about the play mechanics as anything else.

And to be perfectly honest, how many players play Mario games or FPS games for the plot?

Mike from Morgantgown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

I'm fine with that idea, I think that the story in most Mario as well as FPS games are complete crap and doubt people are playing for them. There are notable exceptions of course, but that's just what I've seen.

On the mechanics thing though, I commented because your post was totally about stories, and I find it hard to believe that the Mario games have more variation in story than the entire FPS genre. As far as mechanics though, I can agree that both vary to similar degrees, and I'd have a tough time picking which one has more variation, though since I believe the3re are more FPS games in general and I assume that we are sticking to Mario's role solely in platforming games than I think the nod would probably go to FPS games simply because there are more of them and more opportunity for variation.

Torillian said:
I'm fine with that idea, I think that the story in most Mario as well as FPS games are complete crap and doubt people are playing for them. There are notable exceptions of course, but that's just what I've seen.

On the mechanics thing though, I commented because your post was totally about stories, and I find it hard to believe that the Mario games have more variation in story than the entire FPS genre. As far as mechanics though, I can agree that both vary to similar degrees, and I'd have a tough time picking which one has more variation, though since I believe the3re are more FPS games in general and I assume that we are sticking to Mario's role solely in platforming games than I think the nod would probably go to FPS games simply because there are more of them and more opportunity for variation.

Yea ... leave it to me to contridict myself.

But then again, I am not sure how different it is fighting the enemies in Halo 1/2/3 vs. Resistance 1/2 (I could add Gears 1/2 here -- but while the plot of alien invasion of the earth is the same, it is a TTPS not an FPS). Or how the enemies difffer in COD 1/2/4/W vs. any other WW II FPS.

Sort of like how is it different fighting Bowser vs. Bowser vs. Bowser vs. Bowser Jr 8*>

Mike from Morgantown

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Every battle against Bowser, while it's the same enemy, is vastly different. In Mario 64, you had to throw him into bombs. In Mario Galaxy, you had to get him to explode himself on spots on the planet, then spin-attack his tail.

Sure, he's the same character, but the entire premise behind fighting him is entirely different.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Just like FPS games. Each boss you fight with a different type of gun. Completely different strategy involved every time. Some bosses you need to shoot in the brain, and others you need to shoot in a heart or central computer. It changes the entire experience. Not to mention that some are Nazis and some are aliens.

SaviorX said:

"Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Pokemon, all those games are rehashes"

That is the sentiment of some gamers which I have absolutely no idea of understanding. Can somebody please explain to me why someone would say this sober?

This is no excuse for such blasphemy.