By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GfK: Xbox 360 sales increased 124% from last NOV, but...

@mrstickball:
But the difference between us is that I'm not making things up. I didn't say that November was either 4 or 5 week month. I only gave some info to take into consideration that reffered to what trackers publish.

We've seen so many people, and PR firms play the ratio and numbers game.

So you're suggesting that MS is spinning and real results are even "worse" for X360?

BTW do you know why X360 numbers are so high in Europe on vgchartz?

At the end of 2008, we'll have LTD values for every region.

Not sure what you mean. If you mean vgchartz that we have it for every week. If you mean other trackers than we won't know as data won't be published for all regions.

Around the Network

mrstickball,

What is your opinion on PS3 being 300k ahead of 360 in EU? Or the rules are different when sales figures come from Sony? While in MS case the numbers are adjusted the day they open the mouth.

Bah, nevermind.

shanbcn said:
mrstickball,

What is your opinion on PS3 being 300k ahead of 360 in EU? Or the rules are different when sales figures come from Sony? While in MS case the numbers are adjusted the day they open the mouth.

I think that adjusting the numbers, regardless of who it helps or hurts comes down to this: ioi gets his own internal data sets from retailers, clerks, forums, whatever. Because of that, he has an internal figure he uses to track data.

Once in awhile, we get major PR reports that show one of 2 things: Back up an internal trend he's seeing in the data, but not reporting (for fear that it's too far outside the norm, as per the major increases in X360 sales thanks to all the reporting going on, post-price drop), or something that is counter to what he's showing, and decides to not worry about it (which may, or may not be the case with Sony's claim of the 300k unit lead).

And ioi chooses not to adjust every number, mind you. Last I checked, using VGC methodology, the X360 should have got around 50,000-60,000 units added in October due to NPD, but didn't. No one complained about that, did they?

Which leads me back to my initial argument: Lets wait until end of the year numbers come out. If GFK is saying that Playstation 3 sellthrough (to consumers) matches Sony's claim of a 300,000 unit lead, then by all means, it should be adjusted.

Likewise, what if VGC is vindicated come January? You'll just look like a fool then, no? I say don't worry about it for now. The reason you, and others are taking this so close to the collar is because it sheds the Playstation 3 in a very dismal light - the same light that X360 fans got for years when the X360 had to continuously backtrack in sales for what seemed like months. When all that happened, I learned to let the numbers stand where they are, until YTD finals come out. Then we can make an absolute comparison.

And for the record: VGC has been far more effective at gauging sales when the DON'T knee-jerk reactions: When numbers are wildly increased or decreased on a given week, it usually seems that it's inversely wrong the next month. We all know this, as it's happened for every system. So again, lets wait till the end of the year and see what VGC says versus GfK, NPD, and every other firm.

Now, if this were software sales, I'd agree with you :-p

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Basically there are too many variables to figure out whether this is true or not.... which areas GfK counts (they don't report UK for instace, although I remember something about them buying Chart-Track so maybe they do) then there is our lack of knowledge regarding the exact timeframe (GfK might do the proper 30 day month, or it might be a weekly thing, but then the end date for the wek may be different like the Netherlands chart that ends on Thursdays)

To be honest, I would actually like the 360 to be lowered because it would bring it closer to everyones predictions in my thread, but until I see irrefutable proof I will argue against changing the figures.

Around the Network

Ok, I'm confused here. Some guy with a MGS4 avatar fails to give any outside data whatsoever, and is strictly going by a statistical percentage for one area of others...and you guys give him credit because he is stubborn and refuses to give on any point?

I don't really get into all this sales stuff, but I do know a few things about statistics, and how they aren't accurate.

This proves absolutely nothing. The only reason this thread is being taken seriously is because you guys are making it serious. There is no evidence here. Just inference. If the PS3 is over-tracked or now, or the 360, we won't know, ever. These are estimation sites, for Europe, not Others. VGChartz is an estimation site. These are estimates. Even with the shipped information, we are still estimating.

This kind of "gotcha" reasoning using vague marketing language wouldn't hold up anywhere. Without the original assertion here, everything shanbcn has wrote here is designed to discredit this site. Not only does he deserve to be owned by someone who does know something about numbers(if he's right or not), but he deserves to be banned.

This isn't a discussion. It's a pissing contest complete with biased and hatred aimed not at fanboys but at VGChartz itself, and it makes me sick.

In my thread yesterday, I told about how the PS3 fanbase make or break review sites based on percieved bias. Well, I didn't want to mention it, but VGChartz is the worst victim of the PS3 fanboy power. Early in the race, when the PS3 was selling quite poorly, Sony fans killed the messenger, as it were. The consequence was so much bitching about VGChartz, that the average casual forum goer took the fanboy complaining as a generally accepted fact.

The internet is such a childish and petty place. Human nature at its rawest. Spiteful and rude. That's how I'd describe this thread, if it has a point or not.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

There are a lot of countries in Others that would like to say hi :/

"After you win, son, I feel like going for a ride on your bike, haha." ~Doc Louis (Punch Out Wii)

kamil said:
@mrstickball:
But the difference between us is that I'm not making things up. I didn't say that November was either 4 or 5 week month. I only gave some info to take into consideration that reffered to what trackers publish.

Christ dude! It's not making things up. The OP pointed out a seeming inconsistancy, and Stick gave a possible explaination for it. It was a possible explaination for the inconsistancy. It wasn't a statement of fact, it was a guess for how these numbers ended up as they were.

On the other hand, your immediate guess, I would assume, would be that VGChartz overtracked the 360, and that's the explaination you hope for. It is not, however, a foregone conclusion, and it's "making things up" just as much as stick's thoughtful answer. It's just lazy.

Instead of criticizing, why don't you try coming up with your own content as a poster.

This thread has raised my blood-pressure. I am very upset with some posters here, so I'm gonna log off for a while.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

shanbcn said:
mrstickball,

weve seen in the past that microsoft and sony define europe differently, probably each in a way that is biased toward themselves.  We saw the exact same thing earlier this year with Sony claiming they had outsold 360 in europe and Microsoft claiming they had not and enjoyed a comfortable lead, the truth was they were using more countries in the comparison.  Nintendo only uses the main countries when they talk about Europe so the numbers are quite different from VGC when they report them.

You cant use numbers from vc to compare with gfk directly unless you have hard numbers.  One reason is because there is far more countries included in VGCs version of others, and also because on a week by week basis it isnt always gonna be accurate.  Usually when numbers get adjusted its because they find out LTD figures and numbers need to be adjusted somewhere. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

ZenfoldorVGI said:

Ok, I'm confused here. Some guy with a MGS4 avatar fails to give any outside data whatsoever, and is strictly going by a statistical percentage for one area of others...and you guys give him credit because he is stubborn and refuses to give on any point?

I don't really get into all this sales stuff, but I do know a few things about statistics, and how they aren't accurate.

This proves absolutely nothing. The only reason this thread is being taken seriously is because you guys are making it serious. There is no evidence here. Just inference. If the PS3 is over-tracked or now, or the 360, we won't know, ever. These are estimation sites, for Europe, not Others. VGChartz is an estimation site. These are estimates. Even with the shipped information, we are still estimating.

This kind of "gotcha" reasoning using vague marketing language wouldn't hold up anywhere. Without the original assertion here, everything shanbcn has wrote here is designed to discredit this site. Not only does he deserve to be owned by someone who does know something about numbers(if he's right or not), but he deserves to be banned.

This isn't a discussion. It's a pissing contest complete with biased and hatred aimed not at fanboys but at VGChartz itself, and it makes me sick.

In my thread yesterday, I told about how the PS3 fanbase make or break review sites based on percieved bias. Well, I didn't want to mention it, but VGChartz is the worst victim of the PS3 fanboy power. Early in the race, when the PS3 was selling quite poorly, Sony fans killed the messenger, as it were. The consequence was so much bitching about VGChartz, that the average casual forum goer took the fanboy complaining as a generally accepted fact.

The internet is such a childish and petty place. Human nature at its rawest. Spiteful and rude. That's how I'd describe this thread, if it has a point or not.

/thread NAO!!!!! No need to discuss this any further. And besides your numbers are only dealing with EU so your thread is irrelevent.

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!