By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GfK: Xbox 360 sales increased 124% from last NOV, but...

@mrstickball:
First thing: I never said monthly reports aren't composed of number (4 or 5 obviously) week reports. So first half of your post has nothing to do with the debate.

But there is no evidence that a week will belong to given month if its Sunday happens in that month. And even more there is a contradicting argument as we know that it has no influence for monthly reports of two companies (ELSPA/ChartTrack and NPD). I'm not sure how exaclly it works in Italy.

If you are an analyst than you should know that there is a reason behind 4-4-5 cycle used by NPD/CH. Lots of comparisions are made with the same month from last year and thus having equal number of weeks in each January, February etc. is a good thing. We don't know excally if GFK uses that scheme but it would be logical if they did. Not necessary 4-4-5 (5-4-4 maybe just as good) but it would put this and last November at equal amont of weeks anyway (possibly with 5).

Don't play down percentages. It's not like we got real numbers from previous MS reports. Percentages are often all we can get and we have to be happy with them.

You are questioning last Novembers numbers but you said before that "At the end of 2008, we'll have LTD values for every region". So why didn't we get them last year?
The truth is that past numbers are more accurate as we get bunch of reports few months after a given period. I really don't remember any significant changes in old numbers but there were plenty for recent numbers. There still is a room for error in last year's November but its significantly smaller than for this year.

Sure, but I think there's enough reason to say 'hey, rather than rave like lunatics over 2 PR firms fighting over scraps, lets wait till we see actual values for the month, and not random percentages'. Because again - we don't have solid values for this year, nor last year in November, do we?

Basiclly you are saying that vgchartz numbers are worthless. And before you start attacking me I'm just saying that there probably recent X360 Europe numbers aren't too accuarate. And let's not play dumb here, recent numbers were often adjusted. But there is difference between my statements and saying that historical vgchartz numbers cannot be used as any reference point.

In the end I think that possibility that it's 5-week month vs. 4-week month comparision is very slim. Maybe GFK actually has 5-weeks Novembers but if so I do think that their 2007 November was also 5-week month. And even if it's not like this than I doubt that MS wouldn't point it out in its PR.
The other possibility is tham MS have calculated the numbers themself (ChartTrack and GFK can see a November differently) and in this case it's also vary unprobably that they would do it the way that makes them look worse (and didn't point that 5/4 week month out).

Around the Network

@Tyrranical:
I understand that you haven't read the thread throughoutly and thus you are mistaken (so is mrstickball when he is pointing that PR are just PR).

Microsoft itself is a source of this percentages not Sony. They are not playing down their own results, are they?

The truth is that Sony/Nintendo fans should have came up with the excuse mrstickball came up with. As far as I know this can be a 2008 4-week November vs 2008 5-week November as much as it can be 5-week November 2008 vs. 4-week November this year. But in the second case you can actually call PR as a reason for misinformation. With first case you can't.

Another problem with Xbox fans is that they are doubting last Nov numbers, when we all know that they are adjusted throughout the year with many official reports.

LOL. This thread is funny. Whatever makes you feel better. I am 100% certain 360 is undertracked. I also predict and quote me that 360 PS3 gap wil be as of right now 7mil+.

M$ themselves are not allowed to confirm wrong figures. They stated different numbers to VGchartz. (Higher) So there will be some major upward adjusting come Jan for 360.

But if you sleep better for now. Good.