By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GfK: Xbox 360 sales increased 124% from last NOV, but...

mrstickball said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but...

November in 2007 had 4 weeks. This November had 5. GFK may be comparing a different timespan than we're arguing here.

If you compare the same 5 week span, VGC has a 149% increase, not a 180% increase (in Total Others)....Big difference.

There you go. Nice observation!

Around the Network

First, I can't make your link work. May just be me though.

I checked some other data though (googling, may have found the wrong things), and it seems to me that it is a MS press release, could it be shipped somehow?

Either way, it cannot be a lot. Microsoft said a few weeks ago now that they have shipped over 7M in Europe. VGChartz currently has it at 7.3M, which makes sense considering that this is just 1 week of sales above what they had shipped a few weeks ago.

I don't see the 360 being overtracked by more than tops 100K in Europe.

Thus, we must have either been undertracking the 360 up untill now, or the comparison with the  GFK data is flawed somehow.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

So, if EU Dec 2008 360 sales are up 125%, and PS3 is up 3%, what would those numbers be?

I'm too lazy to do it :(

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

mrstickball said:

November in 2007 had 4 weeks. This November had 5. GFK may be comparing a different timespan than we're arguing here.

If you compare the same 5 week span, VGC has a 149% increase, not a 180% increase (in Total Others)....Big difference.

2007 Nov had 4 weeks and this Nov also have 4 weeks. And by the way Vgz have 220% increase not 180% in EU compared to GfK 124%.

@shanbcn

I just hope you understand that I didnt add those so you can have a go at VGChartz. VGChartz has a very accurate overall total number in EU for 360. The rate of how much its selling may not be entirely accurate to GfK, but:

1. VGChartz is not trying to be GfK

2. This IN NO WAY means VGChartz is overtracking 360 sales explicitly. It might be overtracking the rate of sales slightly for these weeks, but it is arbitrary and it could be making up for previous months where it was undertracked - which I still say there is more chance 2007 and other earlier periods are undertracked slightly.

Around the Network

As always, numbers will be changed if the data suggests so. But so far all European data we got was completely in line with our numbers (it is even shocking at times how close we are to official tracking services).

EaglesEye379,

I remember when MS PR said we are winning in EU, Vgz adjusted numbers on the same day. And now we have official increase % wise from GfK, 124% increase compared to 220% according VGz.

PS3 numbers are spot on its just 360 which is over tracked. And with news of PS3 being 300k ahead in EU, said by Sony. Now if you go by MS PR then why not Sony? While Vgz put 360 ahead by 150k in EU.

shanbcn said:
EaglesEye379,

I remember when MS PR said we are winning in EU, Vgz adjusted numbers on the same day. And now we have official increase % wise from GfK, 124% increase compared to 220% according VGz.

PS3 numbers are spot on its just 360 which is over tracked. And with news of PS3 being 300k ahead in EU, said by Sony. Now if you go by MS PR then why not Sony? While Vgz put 360 ahead by 150k in EU.

When was that PR?

At the start of November, VGChartz had Ps3 ~ 350K over X360 for Europe. So I'm guessing that info is dated now.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

shanbcn said:
mrstickball said:

2007 Nov had 4 weeks and this Nov also have 4 weeks. And by the way Vgz have 220% increase not 180% in EU compared to GfK 124%.

VGC sales periods end on Saturdays in Others. Since this is the case:

2008 - 5 Saturdays (started on a Saturday, Ends on a Tuesday)

2007 - 4 Saturdays (started on a Monday, Ends on a Wednsday)

So your wrong. There are more weeks to track in November, in 2008. There are also 5 Sundays in 2008, and 4 Sundays in 2007 so you can't use that argument, either.

Please prove me wrong, but unless we're looking at different kinds of calendars, there are more weeks in November this year for tracking. Furthermore, you can cite any of TheSource's articles to see that the big deal with this November was that there were going to be 5 this year. So please don't change history, either.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

ioi where are you?

We need xplanations. Why did you overtrack the X360??