By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is the Inferior Wii So Popular?

@arsenicazure: What can you do with Wii if it's not online? Play games.
When you get your Wii online, the console changes completely.

Of course, things that aren't necessary like controller and USB ports, built-in Wi-Fi and memorycard readers have added to the cost of the console, but then again, Nintendo would have had to replace them with something else to make them available by choice.

This is when we get to Nintendos businessmodel. Removing DVD playback was a last minute change due to it costing money. Outside shop channel, everything is free in Nintendos online.
The idea of the online is, outside not to let competition have a competetive advantage, to get people to purchase content from the Shop Channel and the number of online features exist to lure the customers into getting their Wiis online. The cost of the online, is payd by the consumers who buy content from the Shop Channel (in the end, the online exists only for them).

But, what we don't have with the Wii, is a multifunctioning device with expensive features that the customer need to pay for, if the customer wants the console.

As for the usefulness; News and Forecast Channels are pretty much perceived as useful services. Especially Forecast Channel, which lets you check out, in less than a minute, before going to work in the morning, whether you should take an umbrella with you or not.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

I just read the entire article for laughs.

I actually do want my 3 minutes back. Fuck, why didn't I listen to the warning?

EDIT: Now that I think about it. Maybe it was worth the 3 minutes. Every time I hear bitching and whining about the Wii, it's usually the bullshit reason and it's just so damn funny. This one takes the cake, seriously.

Stan85 said:
The "inferior" Wii is selling more than the :cheap and performant" 360 because not everyone is "superior" and they stick to the console they understand.

After all,why play tennis when you can grab a stick and look at cartoony characters on your tv trying to play tennins? Why walk/run in the park,when you can buy wii fit and pretend you`re burning callories?

I like Mario since i was a kid,but now...no thanks,Nintendo.

No one would dispute that real life activity (of all types) is better than simulated. Except for killing people.  However, before you knock Wii Fit, consider this:

-Not everyone has regular access to gym, safe walking areas and younger children would require supervision which is not always readily available. I generally get home too late, so Wii Fit fits my schedule.

-Many people find it more motivational. Because of the variety of exercises, I haven't quit out of boredom like I did with the home gym and the exercise bike.

-Many people actually have fun playing it. This summer when my grandson was visiting, all the neighborhood boys were over (ages 8-11). Wii Fit was second only to MK Wii because they considered it a competitive game.

-The exercise can be intense, sometimes deceptively so. A friend of ours, a 16 girl who is super athletic and plays several sports at her school came over one afternoon. All she had time for was the hula hoop game which she thought was a lot of fun. She called us up the next day and said when she woke up she realized by the pain that she had gotten the toughest abb workout of her life. I thought she was calling to complain but she called to find out where she could get one along with most of her basketball team.

-All the things above are anecdotal and certainly pertain to exercise that could have been gotten in many other ways however HERE IS A BIG DAMN DEAL THAT MANY FOLKS DON’T KNOW ABOUT.

BALANCE TRAINING- As we age our balance deteriorates severely. People often don’t realize this until they have already taken a fall. Falls are a leading cause of injury and death in people over 55. Balance is very hard to measure accurately or correct. Even a well equipped gym has nothing that’s provides accurate feedback for training. The balance board is very sensitive and can display your exact center. By watching this change, or by holding it steady in the many balance exercises actually does greatly improve balance. This is why major teaching hospitals, including the one I work at are using Wii Fit in the physical therapy department.

Value: The balance board is a solid well built unit. I suspect it will outlast the console. It is literally the most accurate scales commercially available. It also provides a unique experience in games that use it like Shaun White Snowboarding which significantly outscored the HD versions. And that’s not to mention RR which gives the chance to literally play while sitting on their ass ….
Cancel the last sentence, I forgot people playing with analog controllers are always sitting on their ass.

PS: Mario said to tell you that he is devastated by your rejection. However when he gets really down about it, he just checks his bank balance and he feels better.

-

ookaze said:
It's funny because taking the contrary of everything in this article gives pretty much what I believe since launch.
The Wii is just superior to both PS3 and XB360 in every single way. The only thing where the competitors could have been better is graphics, but it requires lots of things (HDTV surge, interest in HD surge, expensive furnitures, ...), that make this advantage a niche, and thus a completely inexistant advantage in the end.
Even the Wii online is superior in every single way to both PS3 and XB360, but even here people are unable to see it, and are saying the exact contrary.

The Wii is just superior, but the problem is that lots of people, competitors included, are completely unable to see it, being shut in a very shallow and tiny vision of reality. People and competitors stuck in technology, and believing that consoles are a technology product, are just plain fooling themselves.

That's not because some people with sense didn't tell them. But they just won't listen and stubbornly continue in their flawed view instead of evolving. Well, too bad for them. That's also why I realised little after the launch of the Wii, that the competitors just couldn't see the danger it represented, just how it was going to fly past them without them realising.

All it takes is changing from a flawed metrics (technology) to the real one (entertainment), but it seems like very hard to do for most people.

Once you understand the Wii is vastly superior to both its competitors, the OP article doesn't make sense anymore, as everything is wrong in it.

I agree, the wii has the best online service

mM
leo-j said:
ookaze said:
It's funny because taking the contrary of everything in this article gives pretty much what I believe since launch.
The Wii is just superior to both PS3 and XB360 in every single way. The only thing where the competitors could have been better is graphics, but it requires lots of things (HDTV surge, interest in HD surge, expensive furnitures, ...), that make this advantage a niche, and thus a completely inexistant advantage in the end.
Even the Wii online is superior in every single way to both PS3 and XB360, but even here people are unable to see it, and are saying the exact contrary.

The Wii is just superior, but the problem is that lots of people, competitors included, are completely unable to see it, being shut in a very shallow and tiny vision of reality. People and competitors stuck in technology, and believing that consoles are a technology product, are just plain fooling themselves.

That's not because some people with sense didn't tell them. But they just won't listen and stubbornly continue in their flawed view instead of evolving. Well, too bad for them. That's also why I realised little after the launch of the Wii, that the competitors just couldn't see the danger it represented, just how it was going to fly past them without them realising.

All it takes is changing from a flawed metrics (technology) to the real one (entertainment), but it seems like very hard to do for most people.

Once you understand the Wii is vastly superior to both its competitors, the OP article doesn't make sense anymore, as everything is wrong in it.

I agree, the wii has the best online service and Graphics.

Fixed.

Around the Network

By far the best Graphics, by far the best games, beyond anything offored interms of online gameplay on any other console, by far the most innovative system this gen, with the most innovative games, etc...

Wii isnt a console, its an experience

mM

I want the 3 minutes of my life back.

I disagree with the article to some perspective, there are some valid points, and alot of biased idiotic points, but its hilarious how people in this thread have responded.

mM
ctk495 said:
I want the 3 minutes of my life back.

You should've listened to Sqrl, like I did.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

leo-j said:
By far the best Graphics, by far the best games, beyond anything offored interms of online gameplay on any other console, by far the most innovative system this gen, with the most innovative games, etc...

Wii isnt a console, its an experience

I would make a run for it, if I were you...