By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is the Inferior Wii So Popular?

GamingChartzFTW said:

Here's another reason why the Wii is so popular:

We experienced gamers grew up playing 2nd and 3rd gen consoles, the arcades, pc-games (Amiga & Commodore) we're tired of all the boring predictable BS these days.
We've seen it all before in some form or another. Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt!

That's why we love the Wii.

Amen!

I am old enough to remember games PP (pre-Pong).

Most games today follow the same basic patterns.

The games on the Wii tend to be have a bit more variety.

As for the OP, there are people out there who cannot come to grips with the fact that some people have different tastes than your average Halo player.

And it is quite amusing to see that same tired arguement put forth two years after the Wii's release as it continues to inch toward 50% global market share.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network
Stan85 said:
The "inferior" Wii is selling more than the :cheap and performant" 360 because not everyone is "superior" and they stick to the console they understand.

After all,why play tennis when you can grab a stick and look at cartoony characters on your tv trying to play tennins? Why walk/run in the park,when you can buy wii fit and pretend you`re burning callories?

I like Mario since i was a kid,but now...no thanks,Nintendo.

I believe you just insulted yourself.

This is invisible text!

I thought this same thing about the NES when I got my hands on the Master System. There has always been an inferior system leading sales since the dawn of Video Games. Do you think the Atari 2600 was the most powerful on the market at the time - no.

It is all about hype and market. Obviously people don't care about HD and crazy graphics. I will say that I am not a huge fan of the Wii, but it has revolutionized the home video game market. I had never been asked over to someone's house to play a video game unless it was a good friend. Now I have random people at work asking for everyone to come over for their "Wii party". I can't imagine someone at my work asking if we all want to come over and have a deathmatch in a FPS. Times are changing. I guess it is everyone's own opinion if that is for the best or worse.  

lol the mod edit was great

Thanks for the warning Sqrl. I took your warning under advisement

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Around the Network

Yeah Sqrl, thanks for the warning. Although the article couldn't have been as bad as that insane PS3 fanboy that ranted about FFXIII going multiplatform on YouTube. I'll never recover from watching that travesty.

Stan85 said:
The "inferior" Wii is selling more than the :cheap and performant" 360 because not everyone is "superior" and they stick to the console they understand.

After all,why play tennis when you can grab a stick and look at cartoony characters on your tv trying to play tennins? Why walk/run in the park,when you can buy wii fit and pretend you`re burning callories?

I like Mario since i was a kid,but now...no thanks,Nintendo.

Just FYI, I lost 10 lbs in 2 months, didn't do any exercise beyond 30 mins of Wii Fit per day, no changes in diet or anything else. Like it or not, I have actual proof that Wii Fit does work. Why not have fun while exercising?

I cant believe that some people still Bash the Wii and believe that it is some kind off two GC taped toghether.

bdbdbd said:
@arsenicazure: By stating the obvious, that the non-gaming related online doesn't interest gamers, you actually are explaining where PS3 fails hard, since it can be extended outside online. By the way, why did you mention the in-game voice/text chat? It's not a gaming feature and therefore people aren't interested in it.

As for Wiis online, Wii has a different approach than the competition. When there's 360 online and 360 offline, PS3 online and PS3 offline, the same split doesn't work with Wii, there's no Wii online or Wii offline, there's only Wii. As someone stated, it's seamless experience. And don't forget WiiConnect24.

As for the HDTV:s, was that the number of them in the kids rooms? That's where the majority of the consoles have traditionally ended. And the same goes for audio systems.

PS3 has a number of extra functionalities, but they're something that increases the cost of the console, Wiis functionalities are what could be added without additional cost and Wiis functionalities have a more "purposeful" perception.

OK.. now what extra functionalities are we talking of.. the ps3 is easily the console with the most extra "value" quotient. What are these added functionalities on the wii and the added costs?

last i check the classic gamepad,wii motion plus, wii fit(balance board) all cost money right oh yea and a wii broadband adapter too oh and a component cable too

thats easily over $300 in " added extra functionalities that cost" kinda bringing it in line/ and over the cost of a ps3

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

arsenicazure said:

have you heard of the wii "friend list system", the game code system, the horrible connect/lag in smash brawl?

Yeah, the lag in Brawl was so horrible! I had a very playable match (with a noticable lag) with a friend who lives far away  (Australia) from me (Pennsylvania)!

Oh the horror!