By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft's OS market share lowest in 15 years!

Windows market share drops to 15-year low
Trendwatch
By Wolfgang Gruener   
Monday, December 01, 2008 17:34\
Chicago (IL) – Earlier today, we reported that Microsoft’s Internet Explorer has dropped below 70% for the first time nearly nine years. Even worse, market research firm Net Applications now estimates Microsoft’s Windows market share at less than 90%, which is still an impressive number, but a lower level than most PC users may remember. We had to go back to Windows 3.11 to find similar market share data.   

Any product that owns close to 90% of a market that is as gigantic as the global PC market would be considered a huge success. In the case of Microsoft, that is, of course, different. Windows has suffered from a continued market share decline since the 2003/2004 time frame and November 2008 was the first month in a very long time that Microsoft has dropped below 90%, 89.62% to be exact, according to Net Applications.

Net Applications has been providing operating system market share data since October 2004 and estimated Windows’ market share at about 96.4% at that time. In November 2005, Windows was down to 95.5%, in November 2006 to 94.2% and in November 2007 to 92.4%. Over the past twelve months, Windows lost 2.8 points of market share, more than in any other year in the operating system’s 23-year history (Windows 1.0 was released in November 1985.)

Windows market share is generally believed to have peaked at 97.5% in the 2002-2003 time frame. Of course, we were interested in finding out about the timeframe when Windows crossed the 90% market share mark on the way up. It turned out that we had to go back quite a bit and if we believe this story published in December 2005 by Ars Technica, then Microsoft cleared the 90% hurdle in 1993 or 1994 with Windows 3.11. On a personal note, this is about the time when this author was first confronted with a Windows PC and was fascinated by the simplicity of the operating system (well, at least from the view of the time back then.)

If we dive a bit deeper in the most recent operating system market share developments, then it is interesting to see that while Vista is now listed with a market share of nearly 20.5%, it is far from being able to pick up the market share older Windows versions are losing. For example, Windows XP lost about 2.4 points (from 68.67% to 66.31%) over the past three months, but Vista gained only 2.1 points (18.33% to 20.45%). And we are talking only about XP here: Windows 2000 lost an additional 0.35 points, Windows NT 0.03 points, Windows 98 0.05 points and Windows Me 0.02 points, according to Net Applications.        

Of course, the market share loss benefits other operating systems, especially Mac OS X and Linux. Net Applications estimates that Apple’s Mac OS X now holds 8.87%, up from 6.80% in November of last year and up from 3.2% in November 2004. Linux is listed with a 0.83% share, which is up from 0.57% one year ago. In November 2004, Linux’ market share was estimated at 0.30%.   

Good to see a monopoly slowly crumble. Still 15 years is a long time.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

lol....its still at 90% guys.....move along

M$ rules OS's

however if Windows 7 is a vista-esque screw up they may have a problem

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
lol....its still at 90% guys.....move along

M$ rules OS's

however if Windows 7 is a vista-esque screw up they may have a problem

its at 89.69%... that is below 90%.

On another note internet explorer's market share is below 70%!

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

Good to hear, I have wanted to switch to Ubuntu myself for some time, but I am not enough of a geek to get my WLAN card and TI Interactive running on Ubuntu. Those are the only things holding me back. Besides games of course, but since my computer wont play any recent games it isn't that important.
And Warcraft III runs on Linux as well, so I would survive.

M$ OS share can only go south. It was always too high in the first place.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network

Well APPLe doesn't deserve marketshare so I hope M$ wins!

darthdevidem01 said:
Well APPLe doesn't deserve marketshare so I hope M$ wins!

what? Steve Jobs's empire pwns Bill Gate's. Apple FTW!

LMAO.

The article is an absolute joke.

Windows has a 89.62% marketshare. 89.6%!!!

At this rate of "stunning decline" - 2.8% in the past 12 months, that means that in 14.2 years, Windows will not be in the majority of computers.

And mind you, this is assuming that the decrease continues at the speed it has. It's unlikely that such a banner year for the Mac will stay that way for ever. Windows still has a lot of tricks up it's sleeve.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball is on the ball

@ssj12

Steve Jobs is an arrogant man who steals things & takes credit for other peoples work.

Also I do not like companies that sell over-priced items & claim to have the best quality.....i-phone cost as much as a PS3 for gods sake!

Mac isn't worth its price...neither are the i-pods..

A monopoly is classed as a product with greater than 25%, or a product that is the only option in the market. Going by those two definitions, Microsoft will forever be a monopoly, or it never was.

Anyways, monopolies aren't always bad things.