By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How many 360/Wii owners would sell their Wii if Newton was released?

ignore Esa-Petteri, he has a license to troll. Just look at his history.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

Around the Network
BornFirst. said:

****Edited (typing too fast for my own good (LOL)******

@ Legend
One thing about gamers like you is that you are so emotionally attached to your VG hardware you are totally blinded in your views, thus what ever emotional garbage comes out your mouth is just sounds seriously biased. If we are to look at the Wii from an objective point of view especially 2 years after its release, we would know its a lot more than the motion controls or even wii sports thats selling the Wii. They are only part of the small picture.

It's like this, I didn't insult you so don't f*cking insult me.

noname2200 said:
halogamer1989 said:
To Ninty fans: what type of title would MSFT have to create to keep up with Nintendo on the casual front. Also, can the XNA Comm. section make inroads into this, iyo? I believe it has the possibility.

I think the first thing it would have to do is abandon the idea of a "casual" gamer. Nintendo's apparently adopted the philosophy and terminology of the "core" and "expanded"  (note that they never use "hardcore" in their interviews or releases. Or at least, almost never, save for an occassional slip by an individual employee).

I know it seems superficial, but there's actually quite a bit of reasoning behind it. The "casual" moniker carries with it a lot of negative connotations of customer stupidity and creator superiority. Look at Epic Games'  or Harmonix's use of that term, for instance. Even Ubisoft, who relies on what they call the "casuals" have only recently began to think that it was a market worth putting effort into (their president admitted as much a few months back, when he assigned the Wii Petz game to an actually talented team. For once.)

This matters because it leads to a different take and perspective on your customer. Microsoft so far has treated the mass populace fairly superficially. Games meant to appeal to them, like Scene It! or In the Movies, are not made by their best teams at all. They're outsourced to C- and D- listers, and it shows. By contrast, Nintendo has its best working on games for the expanded audience, like EAD, because it has some respect for that groups' taste and intelligence.

But that would only mark the beginning for Microsoft. In addition to reassigning some of its top talent, it would have to work on its marketing, its image, its very approach to gaming, its ultimate goal, and more. I can continue, if you're interested, but I don't want to bore you if you think I've rambled on too long.

And of course, these are just my thoughts. They could be, and probably are, at least partially off.

Well they are building in house studios and a swee-eeet new campus over in Redmond.  I guess subsidizing will have its benefits on the E&ED Division.

griffinA said:
ignore Esa-Petteri, he has a license to troll. Just look at his history.

Speaking with him is rather like trying to learn a new dance while completely wasted: it won't work, you'll probably just end up with a smelly mess on your hands, and even if you somehow have the patience to go through the motions, the results won't be pretty.

flames_of said:
Looks like my opinion actually varies a bit from the rest of the 360-crowd...
And in case of any potential rebuttals, I play my the 360 a lot recently...

I'm not so sure that's true. Anyone who isn't calling the Wii a fad or gimmicky would probably agree with you. Anyone who can get their head around that graphics isn't everything to everybody.

Those who cannot accept this are either fanboys, blind to the world, or trolls.

I am not at all saying that the Wii is better. It's up to everyone to decide for themselves what console they like the most. But being blind to the other consoles advantages just because it's not for you is being a fanboy.

This is invisible text!

Around the Network
Xponent said:

Secondly, the Newton will be hampered by the fact that many if not most Xbox gamers wont have it. This is unlike the Wii remote which is included with every console. Take the balance board for example. Very few games at this stage utilise it, despite its userbase of 10 million. Why go for 10 million when you can make a game for 39 million?

I've seen this claim made many times and I'm wondering, do you have anything at all to back it up?  Any studies that were done to basically say that 360 owners do not like motion controls?  Most of the problems that some have with the Wii is the underpowered hardware and many of the crap games that are on the system.  It's not about the motion controls which I've rarely seen 360 owners insult.

Khuutra said:

I can only assume, sir, that you are not serious: after all, the Wii's library is almost entirely separate from that of its competitors, and will remain distinct for the lifetime of the consoles, and would remain distinct even if the Newton were released tomorrow.

You should be careful of your light-hearted larks, sir, some people may be offended.

If course I am serious. Other than those few first party games, every good game can be found (at least equivelant one) on 360 or maybe pc as better version. And yes, I don't consider minigame-collections as good games. :P

halogamer1989 said:
noname2200 said:
halogamer1989 said:

Well they are building in house studios and a swee-eeet new campus over in Redmond.  I guess subsidizing will have its benefits on the E&ED Division.

True, and I don't doubt for a second that this will pay dividends for current Xbox owners. But I'm skeptical that it will lead to more top-quality talent being assigned to make games that appeal to the mass market. Instead, it'll likely results in more games along the lines of Gears or Halo, i.e. targeted to the 12-25 male demographic.

Nothing wrong with that at all, mind you, but it won't win over the masses. They've rejected the current model of gaming for years: more of the same's not going to bring them into the fold, even if it is a more polished version.

Esa-Petteri said:
Khuutra said:

I can only assume, sir, that you are not serious: after all, the Wii's library is almost entirely separate from that of its competitors, and will remain distinct for the lifetime of the consoles, and would remain distinct even if the Newton were released tomorrow.

You should be careful of your light-hearted larks, sir, some people may be offended.

If course I am serious. Other than those few first party games, every good game can be found (at least equivelant one) on 360 or maybe pc as better version. And yes, I don't consider minigame-collections as good games. :P

Ha-HA! It is even FUNNIER the second time!

Seriously, though, we're trying to have a serious discussion. I appreciate the humor, but let's get down to business.

Legend11 said:
Xponent said:

Secondly, the Newton will be hampered by the fact that many if not most Xbox gamers wont have it. This is unlike the Wii remote which is included with every console. Take the balance board for example. Very few games at this stage utilise it, despite its userbase of 10 million. Why go for 10 million when you can make a game for 39 million?

I've seen this claim made many times and I'm wondering, do you have anything at all to back it up?  Any studies that were done to basically say that 360 owners do not like motion controls?  Most of the problems that some have with the Wii is the underpowered hardware and many of the crap games that are on the system.  It's not about the motion controls which I've rarely seen 360 owners insult.

Since he's off-line, I'll step in for him for a bit. He can correct me if I'm wrong. But the meaning behind his words is in the very next sentence.

"This is unlike the Wii remote which is included with every console."

He then goes on to use the example of the balance board. You even quoted both parts...

I see nothing in his post questioning 360 owners' like of motion controls, or lack thereof.