By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Lost Odyssey and Xbox Japan

I think Blue Dragon is/was the stronger franchisefor the JPN market , because they just love Toriyamas art style and there is a manga and an anime out for it aswell , but Lost Oddysse most likely will sell a bit better , for there's a better user installment base now compared to BDs launch.

Around the Network

This game could be the final step to make the 360 a viable platform in japanese regions.

If Lost Odyssey sells in the 200k+ range (which is possible, even likely) it could boost the 360 sales to 30k+.

Aditionally, if Microsoft is able to show how good as a platform the 360 is, it could use future Multiplatform games to increase it´s sales (like Resident Evil 5 and Devil May Cry) in a significant way (which means some japanese gamers will buy a 360 nstead of a PS3 to play Resident Evil 5) and could even get a small part of the PS3´s attention then.

Microsoft is on a good way to become a serious player in Japan. Do not underestimate them.

Well, i think the title will move som hardware, but remeber that the Playstation brand is HUGE in Japan. Just because PS3 does'nt fly of the shelves right now, it may seem like a pretty small support over there. The 360 may be more popular in time, but when the big titles drops to the PS3 in the end of the year and next year, the sales will become crazy. Just look how a golf game moved the hardware (Hot Shot Golf 5), A GOLF GAME! What will happen when White Knight Story, FF XIII, FF XIII Versus, MGS 4, Monster Hunter 3, GT5 and Resident Evil 5 comes out? The last one is multiplatform, but i think that all the million PS2 owners won't change to 360 because of Lost Odyssey. They may want it (the game), but more heavy titles will come to PS3 that makes the Japanese people feel more home and safe with a brand they allready know of.

If Microsoft continues to crank out titles like these they will slowly penetrate this market. I dont think any one game including LO will be a breakthrough product though, seems like each one slowly makes a nice dent in the marketshare. LO might do really well comparitively since the installed base is bigger now.

Total sales for the 360 are already approaching the original Xbox total lifetime Japan sales, which is not saying much compared to Sony/Nintendo, but its progress. I believe it will sell over 1 million in Japan (eventually).

Hopefully Microsoft has some tricks up its sleeve to keep up the momentum well into 2008 and beyond.

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

I don't think it deserves to fail by any stretch of the imagination, I don't care what IGN says does anybody really listen to their reviews anyway? If you ask me they don't do very good.

I can see it easily moving as much as Blue Dragon and then some. Honestly my games for the generation, the ones that sold me on consoles, in order from most wanted to least were
Super Smash Bros -> Super Mario Galaxy -> Eternal Sonata -> Final Fantasy 13 -> Blue Dragon

After seeing and reading about these games...

Super Mario Galaxy -> Lost Odyssey -> Super Smash Bros -> Blue Dragon - > Eternal Sonata

I officially dislike myself for having purchased a PS3 for FF13 because after reading about how it's gonna play like FF12 I'm already disgusted with it. This will be the first FF I don't actually buy, I'm a long time fan. I believe Lost Odyssey -should- sell better then FF13 because it seems like a better all around game not the same regurgitated crap SE spits out. I say this loving SE's games, just not lately.... People mostly buy it now because it's FF or because it's Dragon Quest and it upsets me.

I hope Lost Odyssey does very well, I for one will be buying a copy on launch day no if's and's or buts. I think the game has great potential I hope people give an RPG that isn't FF a chance for once.

Around the Network

I REALLY like Lost Odyssey's combat lineup.

At first, I thought it was going to be old re-hash FF1-8 line-up & fight the enemies on the other side.

But I'm really digging the near 3rd-person view from behind. It reminds me of Phantasy Star, and gives a much more intense view (ala Gears of War). I hope they keep that, as it'll be really, really sweet.

For refference, Lost Odyssey is already either #9 or #10 on the Famitsu's Most Wanted Charts as of a few weeks ago. That's pretty dang high. Eternal Sonata was #20 for ONE week - the week before launch. With numbers like that, even if FMWC are just hardcore owners, it atleast is showing the Japanese are going to care alot about this game.

IMO, the major thing LO has for it is the fact that it'll be precieved as a possible Final-Fantasy killer, but out during Christmas. That'll certainly help it.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

At worst, I expect Lost Odyssey to do similar numbers to Blue Dragon. Blue Dragon has a much smaller userbase to contend with than Lost Odyssey. I think Lost Odyssey will exceed Blue Dragon in sales. I expect the game to hit 250,000 to 300,000 in life time sales.

souixan said:
I don't think it deserves to fail by any stretch of the imagination, I don't care what IGN says does anybody really listen to their reviews anyway? If you ask me they don't do very good.

I can see it easily moving as much as Blue Dragon and then some. Honestly my games for the generation, the ones that sold me on consoles, in order from most wanted to least were
Super Smash Bros -> Super Mario Galaxy -> Eternal Sonata -> Final Fantasy 13 -> Blue Dragon

After seeing and reading about these games...

Super Mario Galaxy -> Lost Odyssey -> Super Smash Bros -> Blue Dragon - > Eternal Sonata

I officially dislike myself for having purchased a PS3 for FF13 because after reading about how it's gonna play like FF12 I'm already disgusted with it. This will be the first FF I don't actually buy, I'm a long time fan. I believe Lost Odyssey -should- sell better then FF13 because it seems like a better all around game not the same regurgitated crap SE spits out. I say this loving SE's games, just not lately.... People mostly buy it now because it's FF or because it's Dragon Quest and it upsets me.

I hope Lost Odyssey does very well, I for one will be buying a copy on launch day no if's and's or buts. I think the game has great potential I hope people give an RPG that isn't FF a chance for once.

Where the hell did you hear it was going to play like FF 12. It going to be more similar to FF X-2's battle system.

I think I'll gonna like LO a lot, b/c it is supposed to be a lot like FFX.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.