By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Lost Odyssey and Xbox Japan

Ign has Lost Odyssey slated for a fall release in North America and apparently a simultaneous release in Japan, raising the questions: How much will this game boost console sales in Japan? How many 360's do you think this game will shift in launch week/month?

Edit: Bear in mind the game's proximity to holiday season, and feel free to add your predictions for the boost to North America 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

Whats the release date ?

Probably somewhat more than Eternal Sonata. 20k at the most is my guess. Could be higher depending on a lot of things. The game has a better pedigree than Eternal Sonata. If they offer a bundle, and if they publicize the game well, who knows.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Should move 35,000~50,000 units first week, and very strong (20k+) per week afterwards.

Blue Dragon didn't have as much hype/interest behind it as Lost Odyssey already has. For refference, Blue Dragon has sold 193,000 units and sold around 95,000 units from BD Launch week till the first week in January - a huge increase vs. 2005/2006 and any other year.

Therefore, Lost Odyssey should sell around 125,000 units or more first week. 150k or 200k is possible as well.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I tend to agree with your game sales estimates mrstickball, but how many extra consoles do u reckon will sell thanks to odyssey

Around the Network

Probably around 250,000 or so by the end of 2008.

If you look at Blue Dragon, it was responsible for somewhere in the area of 150,000 consoles - if you look at it right now, 20% of all X360s in Japan are selling with a copy of Blue Dragon. This is very, very important, as it shows that *probably* around 50,000 or more consoles were sold this year due to Blue Dragon.

IMO, I think Lost Odyssey will move around 50-75% more consoles, by itself. Fortunately, the X360 also has DMC, DW6, and various other games that are multi-port that'll help the X360 more. But just Blue Dragon to LO, I'd say around 250k or more. However, it'll take till mid-June next year to see that increase die down admist other games.

It will probably sell as much 360's as Blue Dragon did. Difficult to say how much exactly. The Japanese are incalculably ;)

Well it'd be great for the console if your right.  That would have them over a million next year assuming cry on can move some consoles or Microsoft has a surprise or two up their sleeve.  Still, i think your guess might be a little high, i'd say closer to 200,000.  It's all about getting enough average games on the console to supplement the massive one the customer is thinking of buying the console for. Problem is, i dont think the 360 is quite at that critical mass of average game and variety yet.

In fact, even with DMC and a couple of other decent japan-orientated games coming out, i don't think the xbox 360 has enough solid exclusives on the horizon to EVER achieve something resembling mass-market in Japan, so lets pray Microsoft really do have surprises. Blue dragon two just wont cut it

The X360 will NEVER reach "mass market penetration" in Japan.

At this step in the game, the most it can hope for is just below current PS3 levels in Japan (8-15k a week without a real major game for the week). That's the most it could ever hope for - and even then, that'd be real gracious.

With DMC, RE5, AC6, DW6, and Mistwaker titles, it should sell reasonably well for an Xbox 360 and Microsoft system. But again, the most MS can hope for is 3m consoles in Japan by 2012. This wouldn't be too bad, because if MS kept Mistwaker, and continued with an X720, they'd have a great launching pad for the next gen, probably being able to match PS3 numbers @ that time, or even PS4 numbers.