By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - If you know anything about RPGs, enter here.

.hack// is an interesting game. You may love it or hate it.

Dark Cloud and Suikoden are the best choices on the list imo. The xenosaga games are alright.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Avoid FFX-2 like the plague. The game story is utter trash. It's like Square Enix hired the writers of the Charlies Angels movie to write the game's script. I knew I was in for an awful experience when Yuna busted out into a pop song 15 minutes into the game. FFX equal the first Matrix movie, FFX-2 equals Matrix Revolutions.

Pickup Suikoden III and V. Avoid IV. The Suikoden games are the best RPGs on PS2....well except for IV. I don't know what the hell they were thinking with that game....its better than FFX-2....but that isn't saying much.

When i played Final Fantasy X-2 with English dub it felt weird, once i played in a friend's house (He knows Japanese) and played the J-import, and i realized the game was fine in Japanese, so either the dub was really wrong, or the game was made to please the J-pop culture and that didn't translated well into the W-gaming culture...

BTW, I recommend Dark Cloud 1 and 2...

1.FINAL FANTASY X
2. SUIKODEN 3
3.SUIKODEN 5
4.PERSONA 3.
5.TALES OF THE ABYSS
6.TALES OF LEGENDIA
7.DRAGON QUEST 8
8.ROGUE GALAXI
9.SUIKODEN 4

I wouldn't recommend FFCC (GC), it's not really an RPG and it's very repetitive. hack is also pretty mediocre.

I would say the best RPGs for the previous gen are (assuming you have a PS2 and GC:

Xenogears (2nd best RPG ever. PS1 but playable on PS2)
Suikoden (everyone)
Tales of Symphonia
Skies of Arcadia
FFX

Xenosaga is very good as well, just below these above.

Around the Network

PERSONA 4!!!
It just got A+ from 1UP.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

...and it doesn't release for another week. Persona 3 FES?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

I've decided to get Xenosaga I & II for about $14 combined.

I plan on buying them tomorrow.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

twesterm said:

FFX-2 is complete garbage. It's somewhere along the level of FF: Mystic Quest for the SNES.

FFCC for the Gamecube isn't bad if you have three friends to play it with, otherwise don't waste your time.

As for what one you should get: FFVI, preferably for the GBA and then go ahead and pick Chrono Trigger DS while you're at it (you can get both of those for the PS1 and play them on your Ps2 but they are the worst versions of both games).

Hey, don't compare FF-X2 to Mystic Quest.

Mystic Quest is good.  Just not for people who have already played RPGS.

It was a good "Starter" RPG to introduce people who might of been confused by things like leveling up or get lost eaisly.

Kasz216 said:
twesterm said:

FFX-2 is complete garbage. It's somewhere along the level of FF: Mystic Quest for the SNES.

FFCC for the Gamecube isn't bad if you have three friends to play it with, otherwise don't waste your time.

As for what one you should get: FFVI, preferably for the GBA and then go ahead and pick Chrono Trigger DS while you're at it (you can get both of those for the PS1 and play them on your Ps2 but they are the worst versions of both games).

Hey, don't compare FF-X2 to Mystic Quest.

Mystic Quest is good.  Just not for people who have already played RPGS.

It was a good "Starter" RPG to introduce people who might of been confused by things like leveling up or get lost eaisly.

Oh I agree it's great for the younger crowd or people that have never played an RPG before but that doesn't change the fact the story was quite bad and the writing (or maybe just translation?) was horrid.