By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - need opinion on upconvert dvd vs. high definition

Delusional said:
i have samsung 37" 720p lcd. i want to get the high definition version of planet earth.

ps3 is 499. the A2 is only 250, therefore ps3 is double the price. There are currently no games i want for ps3 so for another year and a half, it's a definite no for a ps3 purchase. and in 1.5 years, ps3 price im sure would have dropped another 100.

the A2 is maxed at 720p so it's just right for my tv. i don't want to wait 1.5-2 years to watch planet earth. yes, i can watch the dvd version (10-12 dollras cheaper than hddvd i think) and upconvert it, but based on my other dvds, the upconvert quality isn't that good. thats' why i wanted to know if HD is really a lot better than an upconvert.

@brainboxltd. at 150, i think i'd spend 100 more for hd if indeed native hd is better than upconvert. :D (since i do have upconvert already.)

i dont mind getting ps3 in future, but i just can't justify an additional 250 for it over hd at this point in time. it doesn't matter if hd loses, cuz i dont buy many movies anyways. i only watch the ones i like (and that could be hundreds of times over and over). :)

so your willing to waste $250 to save a 100 later ?

get a used 20 gig PS3 if price is the issue. 

Around the Network
Killzone3 said:
Delusional said:
i have samsung 37" 720p lcd. i want to get the high definition version of planet earth.

ps3 is 499. the A2 is only 250, therefore ps3 is double the price. There are currently no games i want for ps3 so for another year and a half, it's a definite no for a ps3 purchase. and in 1.5 years, ps3 price im sure would have dropped another 100.

the A2 is maxed at 720p so it's just right for my tv. i don't want to wait 1.5-2 years to watch planet earth. yes, i can watch the dvd version (10-12 dollras cheaper than hddvd i think) and upconvert it, but based on my other dvds, the upconvert quality isn't that good. thats' why i wanted to know if HD is really a lot better than an upconvert.

@brainboxltd. at 150, i think i'd spend 100 more for hd if indeed native hd is better than upconvert. :D (since i do have upconvert already.)

i dont mind getting ps3 in future, but i just can't justify an additional 250 for it over hd at this point in time. it doesn't matter if hd loses, cuz i dont buy many movies anyways. i only watch the ones i like (and that could be hundreds of times over and over). :)

so your willing to waste $250 to save a 100 later ?

get a used 20 gig PS3 if price is the issue.

Very good point.  I don't understand why you are willing to drop $250 for what will be obsolete within 1-2 years if a $100 pricedrop is such a big deal.  Hell, I would even recommend getting a 360 AND an HD-DVD add-on before I recommended you get an HD-DVD standalone (you would save $70 on the player).

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

I'm likely gonna get flamed for this but here goes:

If you download using torrents at all, just get rips of both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray movies... problem solved! HD for absolutely no cost at all :P

(BTW, the Planet Earth HD-DVD rip is also available, 720p and it looks fantastic)

I know I'm not gonna bomb money on either format until a fat lady sings and gives us the definitive verdict.  

MrMarc said:

I'm likely gonna get flamed for this but here goes:

If you download using torrents at all, just get rips of both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray movies... problem solved! HD for absolutely no cost at all :P

(BTW, the Planet Earth HD-DVD rip is also available, 720p and it looks fantastic)

I know I'm not gonna bomb money on either format until a fat lady sings and gives us the definitive verdict.

I actually agree. My friend gave me the Planet Earth's ripped at 720p. They look really good, but weigh in around 25-30 gigs or so. I cannot stress enough that you shouldn't buy an HD-DVD player. You are just going to cheat yourself out of money in the long run, since you seem to be a hardcore FF fan/JRPG fan. My recommendations are to just bite the bullet and get a PS3/Blu-Ray player, or pirate the movies you want to see. The DRM on HD-DVD has been broken, so you shouldn't have many problems. Just hook up your computer to your TV through S-video or whatever methods you have if you really want to use the TV.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

So let me get this straight, you're willing to drop $350 just to watch Planet Earth? That's pretty hardcore.

Options:

Sell your tv on craigslist and put the cash towards a tv that does 1080p.

Wait until a good ps3 deal comes (I got mine with a $100 gift card + 5 free movies) and buy it then. Use the gift card to get Planet Earth and trade the movies for store credit or cash if necessary. The math 500 - 100 - 150 worth of movies = 250. (I never looked at it that way before, that was a ripping deal!)

Get a 360 and the add-on player. I don't know if the free movies deal will still be going on when the price cut happens, regardless, it's still going to be more than what I paid for the ps3. 350 + 150 - 150 worth of movies = 350.

Just get the hd-dvd player and get it over with.

chuck

Around the Network

Actually total was $317 w/ the Planet Earth HD DVDs. Well, I wouldn't mind spending $250 now just so I can enjoy it for 1.5-2 years before I get Bluray. It's not saying I'm all about saving the $100. It's more like spending $499 for a game console that I really have no games (yes, I can honestly say there are no games I want up until Final Fantasy 13 comes out) I want. It'll probably just sit in my game/computer room and gather dust for a while. Plus, I'm actually out of space to put a PS3. I don't plan on a 360 because again, no games that interest me at all. I really did do research on ign.com already and all I want to play right in the near future is Mario Galaxy, Endless Ocean, and a bunch of other PS2 games I have backlogged in me "to play" list. (Not to mention I still gotta finish Zelda TP and Super Paper Mario.)

Too much to do, not enough time!!!

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

Don't get any HD content...the minimum starting price for all this stuff people are talking about is $250...

Just get a great upscaling DVD player for about $100.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Ben kenobi is corret, but if you really want an Hd player get a ps3 as a blu-ray player, its not only the best blu-ray player, but its one of the cheapest and its a PS3!!!

mM

So, let me get this straight. You are willing to spend:

250 (for Hd-DVD player)+
399-299 at an absolute minimum (for a PS3 whenever the price drops)

= 649-549

instead of

499 (for the PS3/Blu-Ray player now)

= 499

I cannot see how you are coming out ahead buying an HD-DVD player. It is your money, so you can do whatever you want. But is it a crime to buy a PS3 just as a Blu-Ray player? I know people who have done it. It doesn't matter if it will sit there for even 2 years if you will definitely use it as a game player eventually. I just don't understand your logic. You are willing to spend more for two separate pieces of hardware (you said space was an issue) rather than buy one that does both. The PS3 isn't that large, kind of heavy, but not that large.

If you are a JRPG guy, White Knight Story, Disgaea 3, Folklore, Last Remnant, among other ones that Koei and Namco have announced are coming to the PS3.

I have a 61" 1080p TV, a PS3, and the Planet Earth blu-rays. That said, for something like Planet Earth, action movies, etc there is a huge difference between blu-ray and DVD, but for a drama/comedy movie it's probably not going to matter.